It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2001, 06:37 PM   #1

Earl Baumann HB User
Question Latin Diet Change

OK, So I have a friend that is Brazilian. When I visited her for three weeks in Brazil I ate her food. Mostly mellons and veggies and stuff like that. Now she is coming up to the U.S.A. for several months at least. It took me several days to "recover" from the diet that she was used to. She will be eating our food like steak, cheeseburgers, fries and banana splits and other normal food when she is here. Is there anything that can make this transition easier for her without sending her system into shock? Does anyone have any suggestions? All adivce would be helpfull.

Old 08-21-2001, 02:42 PM   #2

LauraG HB User
Hi there,

OK, I know this is going to sound kind of obvious, but here it goes...
make sure there is food available (at least in your home)for her that is similar nutritionaly to the kinds of food she would normally consume at home.

What perctentage (aproximate) of her regular foods were fruits, vegetables, grains and meats then try to acomadate her with our local selection of produce etc..
and when you eat out, make sure you go somewhere that offers a variety of meal choices. Even McDomalds sells salads

If she chooses to eat, exculsively, the burgers and other Americanized foods our country has to offer she will suffer the same fate as you on your trip to Brazil.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2001, 06:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Melons and veggies sound pretty normal to me.

But anyway, I don't remember who recommended it, but I always eat yogurt when I am travelling and rarely have any problems.

Old 08-22-2001, 07:13 AM   #4

YMS LL HB User
I would suggest you keep her diet as similar as possible. It seems as though she is on a healthy diet and your on a crappy western diet. You could learn something from her. If she is eating mainly fruits and vegetables and her body was subjected to eating fast foods for a few weeks, her body could break down and she will probably catch a cold or something. I would say 80-90% of what she normally consumes and 10-20% of the steaks, cheeseburgers, etc.

YMS

Closed Thread