It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2001, 08:06 PM   #1

Hazel HB User
Post Help, I am eating all the time!

I mean eating! Anything I can get into my mouth, I am not particularly hungry, I just love the taste and texture of food and I am eating, eating, eating to the tune of 20 extra pounds this year. What the heck is going on? I have had blood tests and all is well other than having a B12 deficiency for which I have been on shots for years. I have to stop. Any suggestions?

Old 07-30-2001, 10:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Question

What are you eating? High carb foods (sugary stuff, bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, fruit, etc.) tend to make you want more of them. It's not just in your head, but a biochemical thing (they screw up your insulin and bloodsugar levels). And you need B-12 shots huh? Are you a vegetarian? Meat, eggs, and dairy in sufficient quantities should provide you with adequate B-12.

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2001, 07:07 PM   #3

Hazel HB User
I do eat a lot of carbs, I crave them. I eat very little meat, just don't like the idea of eating something that used to eat something. I have tried to eat just veggies, fruits, cheese, yogurt etc and it drives me crazy, I crave the "good stuff". My B12 shots are for pernicious anemia, I cannot eat to replace it, I can only replace it through monthly injections and still my levels are low normal. Thanks for the tip on carbs, I will start cutting down and fight through the cravings and see what happens.

Old 08-05-2001, 08:54 PM   #4
Inactive

Lori HB User
Smile

Hazel,
I am kinda the same way you are! Sorry the only suggestion I can make is dont let yourself have access to 'the good stuff' that is bad for you. Maybe suck on hard candy instead..? I heard going for a couple weeks with very little carbs you dont crave them after awhile. I'm trying that now but like you said it's hard to stay away from the bad stuff.
Take care,
Lori

------------------
I wish to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited 08-06-2001).]

Old 08-06-2001, 12:38 PM   #5

fuzzybunny HB User
hi hazel

i would tend to think you're eating for emotional issues. i know when i get into that rythym of eating anything even though i'm not hungry its because there is something going on with me on an emotional level that i'm not expressing, that i'm not fulfulling.

i dont know if thats what is going on with you, but when you said you're eating "anything" and that you're "not particularly hungry", it doesnt sound to me to be something physical.

is anything different going on in your life? i know this sounds corny, but please think about it - maybe you're stressed out or burying some other unpleasantries with the food you're eating.

-fb

Old 08-06-2001, 04:47 PM   #6

littlebit HB User
I am the same way fuzzybunny. Everything in sight when things are emotionally upsetting me. Right now its like crazy. I really hate it.

Old 08-07-2001, 11:11 AM   #7

fuzzybunny HB User
hi littlebit

i know what you mean. i have a really hard time at work. some days i just keep eating or i feel i'll go crazy here. i dont even enjoy what i eat, and i feel so guilty cuz i know i'm out of control. it totally stinks.

i think what helps once this has started is to know that you can stop anytime and treat the moment as a new beginning. dont feel bad, guilty, full of self-hate,etc, for what you just (over)ate. start fresh and do something else to take care of whatever feeling you're not expressing, or what needs have to be fulfilled. i have a hard time doing this -forgiving myself, but i bring a recovery book with me to work so i can read it when i'm feeling down. i try really hard to keep myself a priority, which is really tough where i work.

its not easy. i guess it will get easier though with practice.

fb

Old 08-07-2001, 12:01 PM   #8

littlebit HB User
hey fuzzybunny what kind of work do you do because my work is crazy too and i don't even know if enjoy it. right now my personal life is crazy too. i doesn't seem like i can stop eatting.

Old 08-07-2001, 01:24 PM   #9

fuzzybunny HB User
i'm in the healthcare industry - i deal with the monotony of third party billing and the unpleasantries of communicating with insurance companies. i work in the psychiatric community and there is additional pressure there due to the sensitive population. its not the right type of work for me. i'm either bored to death or totally stressed out. i've been here 5 years and that is way too long for a person who should not be in this field anyway. even if i did like this work, 5 years of dealing with HMO's is enough to burn anyone out!!

i'm going to school part time to get a degree in something else (i'm not sure what yet). in the meantime, if i got another job doing the same thing i'd probably be just as miserable. and if i get a job in a different line of work i will face a big cut in pay. i feel like i'm in a no-win situation but i keep looking in the classifieds hoping that i'll find something.

my personal life, thankfully, is okay for the most part. i have a wonderful boyfriend and i'm grateful for having him. i've had some problems with my friends lately, and my family is totally messed up, but other than that things are okay.

what type of work do you do? i'm planning on taking a 'career assesment test' next week. maybe you should try something like that. whats going on in your personal life?

fb

Old 08-07-2001, 05:59 PM   #10

littlebit HB User
Wink

i work in a computer department for an insurance company. there are too many bosses there, its a man oriented office and nobody is ever happy. i'm not sure i even like what i do so whats the sense in getting a new job doing the same thing. i just wish i new what i liked to do. i wish i had an rv i would travel the country doing whatever job to get by.

Old 08-09-2001, 03:39 PM   #11

fuzzybunny HB User
hazel how are you doing?

fb

Old 08-09-2001, 06:21 PM   #12

bearklawz HB User
Hey, fuzzy & little! You two are definitely singing my song! I'm in accounting, some days I HATE it, mostly due to the people I work with. Just finished my associate's degree in liberal arts/business and I'd like to go back for a bachelor's in education, but no $$. Student loans are OUT - currently paying off my husband's. Would also be a major pay cut to change at this point. Been trying to cut back on the eating for a few weeks now without success, mostly I think because of stress/depression/boredom. Man, this post is depressing - sorry! Maybe we can form a support group for each other :0)
221/214/160
14.5 inches gone in 1st two weeks on Atkins!

Old 08-10-2001, 08:43 AM   #13

fuzzybunny HB User
hi bear - i hear ya!
i'm eating too much still, but only when i'm at work. i often feel the need to bring extra food with me - comfort foods like chocolate - when i go to work. its like bringing a security blanket with me.

we're having major problems at work today with our septic system - fun! i got the call last night from my boss that the toilets were acting up. i could barely sleep anticipating all i was going to have to go through today to get this taken care of. i woke up with a headache.

i would like to think there is a way for me to work here and not compulsively overeat, but i've been here nearly 5 years and started regaining weight and abusing food shortly after starting here. i began seeing a therapist for these emotional eating issues 3 years ago and still i have this problem. i wonder if its just too "crazy" here for me to ever feel control and i'll have to get another job and deal with the cut in pay. i wonder if i'm a greedy person for wanting to stay here for the $$ while i'm so unhappy and overeating as a result.

i keep looking in the classifieds, and i keep wondering what i'm going to do about furthering my education. think, think, think

fb

Old 08-13-2001, 06:40 PM   #14

bearklawz HB User
Hey FB! I don't think you're being "greedy", after all, is it greedy to want to be able to pay your mortgage on time? I don't think so.

Here's a tip...bring Tootsie Pops to work. They last 15-20 minutes, and they satisfy that sugar/chocolate craving for me. I have about 2 a day, nothing excessive. Helps a lot!
221/214/160
14.5 inches gone in 1st two weeks on Atkins!

Old 08-15-2001, 02:51 PM   #15

fuzzybunny HB User
thanks,bear.

hey hazel are you out there anywhere? havent heard from you in a while. this is your post, after all! whats going on?

fb

Closed Thread