It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2001, 07:39 AM   #1

Songwriter Timm HB User
Post Crucial Fat-burning advice sought

Hi guys, I need some real good advice. Ive recently lost about 55 pounds thru
diet and exercise but I am still not looking like I want to. I am 35 year old male,
5'-10" and currently weigh about 175 after coming down from 235. I did it by
following a "sensible" diet that didnt emphasize one thing or way particularly
over another, I just tried to use my head. I watched the fat and quit drinking
soda, and overeating in the evening. I also discovered the pleasures of Veggies
and H2O. Well anyway I kinda slacked off some this summer on the working out
doing it whenever I could get to it instead of 4 times a week religiously and I
splurged on the "sensible" eating more than I was comfortable with. Well I havent
gained any weight back but my waist is still about 35" and I had wanted to get it down to
33" but I have fallen short. The bigproblem is all the fat I still have around the abdomen.
I have always been under the impression that cardio and exercise together was important
for burning fat but now I see where people are saying here that too much cardio is bad for
cutting fat. Well burning the fat is my number one priority so If I have to quit lifting
(I engage inoccasional light lifting) and get scrawny and then build up I will. It seems like
I saw gain freak talking about this. Im currently deep back into the routine but Im doing
alot of cardio. Im taking 8-10 Thirty minute walks a week, doing 12 minutes interval
training 3-4 times a week and doing light weight lifting 3 times a week. I also watch
the fat and carbs in the evening. I dont take any weight loss supplements but I do
take a Multi-Vit, Selenium, Green Tea, Co Q10 and Omega 3-6-9 for averall good
health. How should I proceed? Im I doing alright for fat burning. Any and all tips
advice are welcome. Also what do you think about interval training? Ive heard
great things about its ability to enhance fat burning effects. I really want to finish
I started and see what I want in the mirror. Im looking for the lean, slightly muscular
look, I have no interest in being "huge". Thanks millions for any input or advice you
can lay on me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2001, 05:04 PM   #2

Merrilee HB User
Thumbs up

Get with a personal trainer. if you can't afford it, most gyms let you do a free session with a trainer. i really enjoy meeting with my trainer. they will give you many different ideas. GOOD LUCK!!!!

------------------

Old 08-23-2001, 11:38 PM   #3

YMS LL HB User
Yo Songwriter,

Congratulations on the weight loss! You seem pretty motivated and im sure you will get to your desired weight and size in no time.

Your diet seems sensible so i wont talk about that.
In terms of exercise, the walks you are doing are great. I would recommend though you go on 5-6 walks for 1 hour instead of the 8-10 30 min walks. You really need to be exercising for about 30-40 mins before your body switches to becoming a fat burning machine. Remember to keep your walk at a good pace but not as fast as a jog and dont overdo it. Have you tried marching? Light weights are good so stick with them.

YMS

Old 08-31-2001, 03:19 AM   #4

punkin HB User
About fat burning, I read in a Prevention magazine last month that cayenne and/or ginger capsules are good for the thermogenesis effect for fat burning. Maybe you can take one before you exercize to push things along. They say take 3 x's a day. 250 cayenne and 500 mg ginger Hope this helps, Elaine

Closed Thread