It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2001, 07:26 AM   #1

valariex3 HB User
Question syndrome x?

I'm not real sure that I'm posting under the correct subject heading, but hopefully, someone with knowledge about this will respond.

I've had a rough couple of months lately, beginning with diastolic b/p that will not go below 90, & usually hit 106 at least once a day. My dr. has changed b/p medicine twice so far, & its still happening. I haven't been feeling particularly well either. Nothing I can clearly define, just not feeling well. I asked doc to run some blood tests. With my family history, I felt I needed to begin eliminating certain things. (I'm 43 y/o-family history of diabetes, hypertension, and I am currently also on medication for high cholesterol, & also take synthroid). Well, blood test results indicated a slightly elevated fasting blood sugar, & as usual, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, low hdl (good cholesterol). Low fat diets will improve these numbers only slightly.
I have been researching this for a while now, trying to somehow figure out what could possibly be wrong. I read about a condition called syndrome x. This is supposedly considered the deadly quartet (its also been called insulin resistance)-symptoms are: elevated glucose, hypertension, high cholesterol, triglycerides, low hdl & obesity. I have all symptoms, although I am overweight (165#) I don't consider myself "obese". This is also a pre-cursor to heart disease.
I will be getting a glucose tolerance test later this week, which should shed some light on the elevated glucose. But my confusion is with the dietary situation. There are so many opinions out there that I don't know which one is correct. My doctor has recommended atkins, which I have read a great deal about, & it sounds like it would work with all these health related problems. If I lose weight in the process, all the better. But there are other opinions out there, & these opinions are supposedly based on research too, so who do I believe? The other opinions involve low fat, stating that atkins is bad on the heart, etc...
I apologize for this long post, but this has been a long journey for me, & I have not felt good for so long. I am scared about what could be happening to my body. I am also working on quitting smoking. Has anyone out there ever dealt with this? Please, any bit of advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for listening.

valariex3

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2001, 01:08 AM   #2

Speedgal HB User
Hi there,
I've had a rough couple of months lately, beginning with diastolic b/p that will not go below 90, & usually hit 106 at least once a day.

Not that bad really!

My dr. has changed b/p medicine twice so far, & its still happening.

What has he tried?
I haven't been feeling particularly well either. things. (I'm 43 y/o-family history of diabetes, hypertension,

Are you on meds for diabetes, how is your blood sugar? I note the comment re the glucose tolerance test.

and I am currently also on medication for high cholesterol, & also take synthroid

Why are you on synthroid? Do you have an identifed thyroid problem? Or are you just on it for dietary reasons - ie to elevate your metabolic rate and help you lose weight. If so dump it now!!!!

Well, blood test results indicated a
slightly elevated fasting blood sugar, & as usual, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, low hdl (good cholesterol). Low fat diets will improve these numbers only slightly.

What about exercise? Are you doing any?

triglycerides, low hdl & obesity. I have all symptoms, although I am overweight (165#) I don't consider myself "obese".

How tall are you?

This is also a pre-cursor to heart disease.
I will be getting a glucose tolerance test later this week, which should shed some light on the elevated glucose.

Good.

But my confusion is with the dietary situation. There are so many opinions out there that I don't know which one is correct.

Probably none! :-)
My doctor has recommended atkins,

Doctors can have personal opinions and prejudices too - just remember that! I have no problem with you trying Atkins for a short time. I believe some people are better suited to it than others. But I don't believe in the extreme low carbs of Atkins. Lower carbs but not as low as he prescribes. Your body will soon tell you whether its suited to it or not. Aside from the weight loss part of it - which will happen for sure up to a point. Just bear in mind that the bulk of it is water and you WILL burn muscle.

ions out there, & these opinions are supposedly based on research too, so who do I believe? The other opinions involve low fat, stating that atkins is bad on the heart, etc...

Horses for courses, everyone is different.

Please, any bit of advice or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for listening.

One think I would try - and it takes time and patience but done properly only needs to be done once. GO to a proper dietician and get put on a allergy testing diet. Do that. The Royal Prince Alfred one. I can explain how it goes if you want to email me offline. It takes a number of weeks if not months and is dead boring to start with but you may find some of your problems are food related. You may not - but at least its that eliminated.

You don't say how your periods are? PResume you've had your ferritin (iron) checked. What is your normal diet?

Cheers for now.:-)

Old 09-03-2001, 09:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
A low carbohydrate diet is the proper treatment for Metabolic Syndrome X. It is the elevated insulin levels driven by a diet high in carbohydrates combined with insulin resistance that causes all of those symptoms associated with Syndrome X. "Dr. Atkin's New Diet Revolution" is a good starting point.

Other good books on the subject of low carbohydrate diets are "Protein Power" by Drs. Eades, "The Schwarzbein Principle" by Diana Schwarzbein, M.D., "Syndrome X" by Jack Challem, and "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" by Richard K. Bernstein, M.D. You can look at online reviews of these books at Amazon.com.

Syndrome X has been discussed quite a bit in the past here in the "High Cholesterol" forum. Just do a search for it.

Alan

Old 09-03-2001, 09:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedgal:
I have no problem with you trying Atkins for a short time. ...you WILL burn muscle.
How so if you are eating adequate protein and fat?

Alan

Old 09-04-2001, 12:53 AM   #5

Speedgal HB User
You cannot get all your energy needs from dietary protein and fat - its to do with the rate at which you need energy to be supplied for various functions and tasks.

Old 09-04-2001, 03:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Speedgal:
You cannot get all your energy needs from dietary protein and fat...
The average person can. Studies done in the 1930's showed that humans can do just fine on a meat only diet for over 1 year without any adverse health consequences. A well conditioned athlete might benefit from a few additional carbs during specific events, but your average joe won't. Fat provides twice as much energy as carbohydrate does, yet fat doesn't stimulate the release of insulin (the fat storing and artery damaging hormone). And up to 58% of the protein that you eat can be converted to glucose by your body as needed.

Alan

Old 09-04-2001, 06:34 AM   #7

chrismth HB User
Hi Valarie:

I posted a reply to your post on syndrome x on the diabetes healthboard.

Chris

Closed Thread