It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2001, 05:11 PM   #1
Inactive

Lori HB User
Smile Any suggestions on this bread and pasta?

Hi
I am trying to cut down on my (at least) simple carbs. I find it is incredibly hard cutting out bread and pasta and that I really would only be able to keep it up for so long. I am not cutting out fruit,though btw. BUT, I found the healthiest bread and pasta and I am wondering if because I wouldnt be able to stay on this 'lo-carb' thing for long without bread,etc. If this is healthy or has hidden bad things in it.

The bread:
serving size: 1 slice
calories 180, from fat 15
total fat 1.5, saturated 0g
Cholesterol: 0g
Sodium: 135mg
Total Carbohydrate: 17g
Dietary fiber: 3g
Sugars: 3g
Protein: 3g
Ingredients:
whole wheat flour, water, sugar, flaxmeal, molasses, wheat gluten, canola oil, wheat bran, yeast, salt, cultured wheat starch, raisin juice concentrate, nutrient blen (calcium carbonate, maltodextrin, magnesium oxide, zinc oxide, niacin, reduced iron, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin mononitrate, folic acid, vitamin B12) soy lecithin, cornstarch.

The pasta:
Serving size: 3/4 cup dry
Calories: 210, from fat: 15
Total fat: 1.5g, saturated: 0g
Chlesterol: 0mg
Soduim: 0mg
Total carbohydrate: 41g
Dietary fiber: 3g
Sugars: 2g
Protein: 7g
Ingrediants:
Semolina, wheat bran, wheat flour, wheat germ

Any tips on whats good and whats bad in these so I can find a good bread/pasta would be much appreciated! And any comments or suggestions
Take care,
Lori

------------------
I wish to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2001, 06:06 PM   #2

lilmisschris01 HB User
Hello Hello! I watch my carbs pretty well, I am not on anything drastic like atkins, but I watch my carbs. You should try to consume most of your carbs in the morning, gradually decreasing through the day and try not to have any after 4-6 depending on when you go to bed and your evening activities. You really need good, healthy, non refined carbs during the day... I eat whole wheat yolkless pasta, brown rice, 40 cal whole grain breads, etc... but during the day. I started on carb cutter just this evening after many recommendations and a recommendation from a friend at GNC, so I am going to try it for those times when I just need my carbs in the evening (like tonight when I am having wine) I try to keep my carbs under 100g per day, but like I said, they are in the early day... I find that if I have my pasta, bread, rice, etc. during the day, I don't crave them so bad at night. Another option, if you like pasta, have you tried spaghetti squash? It is not exactly like pasta, but strikingly similar in texture.... I am not sure if you are trying to cut out all your carbs.... I have been on Atkins in the past and cannot live that way, I do believe that one should limit carbs, but it is just a simple fact, our bodies need carbs... just not the bad ones I also eat low carb protein bars and shakes (i try these in the evening when I need a snack or dessert), hope this helps sweetie..

Chris

Old 09-18-2001, 03:15 PM   #3
Inactive

Lori HB User
Talking

Thank you

Old 09-24-2001, 05:24 PM   #4
Veteran

robste HB User
I've also cut back on my carbs...I am not doing Atkins though! At least for me, just in my opinion, that is not a "well balanced" diet that you can stay on long term. I used to have between 6-8 servings of bread or pasta type carbs. per day...now I usually have 3-4 servings a day. I try to only eat whole wheat pasta and whole wheat bread, but I still eat baked potatoes. Basically, I've tried to quit eating processed foods with white, processed flour. I eat all kinds of fruit, veggies, fish, chicken, and once in awhile lean red meat.

Closed Thread