It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2005, 05:14 AM   #1
(female)

fitnessnewbie HB User
Diet Soda/Carbonation and Weight Loss

Hey! I have a question about carbonation and weight loss. I have heard that it is bad to drink anything with carbonation while losing weight. I just don't remember why it is bad. Does anyone know? Is this true or not?

Last edited by fitnessnewbie; 08-06-2005 at 05:15 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to fitnessnewbie:
robinhappyy (05-12-2011)
Old 08-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
(female)

Jennihul HB User
Re: Diet Soda/Carbonation and Weight Loss

Well, the only thing I ever heard directly was that if you are overweight and doing Ayurvedic dieting, carbonation increases Kapha which encourages weight gain. I drink alot of seltzer on my Atkins and have trouble losing weight so since I read about the Kapha thing, I have eliminated it in favor of lemon and honey water and have actually noticed a difference. Don't have to tell me twice!

Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2005, 03:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

fitnessnewbie,

Don't worry one bit about carbonation. However make sure the caronated beverage isn't sugar-laden: THAT will stand in the way of weight loss. MAke your beverage choices sugar-free.
Carbonation is just carbon dioxide which the body either breathes out or BURPS out.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
(female)

fitnessnewbie HB User

Thanks everyone for the replies! I always try to drink caffeine free diet coke when I do have soda. I tend to be a huge water drinker but every now and then I like my soda. Sounds like I am better off just "treating" myself to a regular coke - which tastes better anyway!

Oh, I like the burping analogy! It made me chuckle!!

-Nicole

Old 09-03-2005, 04:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

fitness newbie,

Nope, regular coke is an unnecessary souce of 139 calories, all sugar. Stick with the Diet Soda and avoid the 9 tsp. sugar which is definitely not a dieter's friend.

Aspartame is perfectly safe and well tested. Ignore the internet stories about how it (and every other artificial sweetner) causes every disease on the planet Earth. If you want to avoid aspartame anyway, try Splenda, acesufame (PepsiONE), or even saccharine <yecch.>

Remember, the sugar producers have VERY deep pockets (with taxpayer help) and can buy a LOT of quack internet "doctors" who write web-pages telling you how EVIL all the substitutes for sugar are. Every major health agency the world over has given aspartame a green light...it's a fine aid for weight loss.

Last edited by Lenin; 09-03-2005 at 04:47 AM.

Old 09-03-2005, 09:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Another thing I've heard about drinking diet sodas or sugar free things while dieting is that your body could mistake the aspartame or fake sugar for real sugar, shoot up your insulin, and therefore, make you hungry, just as if you had eaten real sugar!

I also think that if you are trying to train your body to eat healthfully that you should not substitute a sugar free brownie for a real one or things like that, because then when you are off the diet you will just want a real one. Just eat the REAL thing, but in smaller portions. I know you were asking only about soda, but I just thought I'd throw that in there : )

Old 09-03-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Nope,

If our bodies shot our insulin levels up in the absence of REAL sugar, then we'd all be falling over dead from insulin shock....it's just another internet myth geared to leep us eating sugar.

Our endocrine system is not dumb and it has learned from millions of years of evolution what glucose is

Last edited by Lenin; 09-03-2005 at 01:27 PM.

Old 09-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
(male)

sammyboy22 HB User

Amen Lenin. I do love my diet coke.....

Old 09-04-2005, 07:46 AM   #9
(female)

fitnessnewbie HB User

Hey everyone:
Thanks so much for the advice. I am not much for regular coke, and would rather have the diet if I treat myself. I am not much for Pepsi, but willing to try it. I also just changed yogurts to Dannon Carb Control. It has splenda as the sweetner in it. I don't really taste much difference between the regular lite or low fat versus the splenda based yogurt. It also has the diabetic exchanges which is what Lenin was talking about. So far, I like it and will probably stick with buying that brand.

Nicole

Old 09-04-2005, 06:20 PM   #10
Inactive

seekalot HB User

Nicole, just for your info, I don't know about PepsiOne which Lenin said is sweetened with Splenda, but in case you like it better I know that Diet Rite (NOT Diet Coke) also uses Splenda for sweetening.

Old 09-04-2005, 06:39 PM   #11
(female)

amo HB User

diet coke also makes a version sweetened with splenda. It tastes like regular coke!

Old 09-04-2005, 08:23 PM   #12
(female)

fitnessnewbie HB User

Wow, I forgot all about Diet Rite! I do like that and will get that if I can find it. I am so confused with all these different kinds of Coke and Pepsi brands/flavors now. I go into the store and look for a regular diet coke and there are now like 5 different kinds. Lemon, Lime, Cherry, Vanilla, Zero. It makes my head spin!! Sometimes I just say forget it and go for the water anyway. I am not much for the flavored waters or seltzer water, so if I want a change I head right to diet sodas instead of the fruit juices which are loaded with sugar.

Nicole

Old 09-05-2005, 05:07 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

seekalot,

If I said that about PepsiONE, my apologies, I misspoke(or mistyped)...it's sweetened with aspartame and acesufame-K. It has more cola BITE than any of the other diet colas and is my favorite.

It's the DIET RITE and RC lines that are sweetened with Splenda. I find them too syrupy sweet and always flat but some people like them. Unfortunately they seem NEVER to be on sale like Coke and Pepsi.

Last edited by Lenin; 09-05-2005 at 05:10 AM.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:25 AM   #14
(female)

fitnessnewbie HB User

I have to agree about the Diet Rite always seeming flat. That is one thing I do remember about it. I also remember another brand called Shasta, it was also a diet soda but not sure if they still make it. I know the grocery stores used to sell it by the single serving size bottle, generally around 3 or 4 for $1.00. I am not sure what it is sweetened with, though.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:44 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

I think Diet Shasta was first sweetened with saccharine <inedible to my taste buds>, but is now sweetened with aspartame like the majority of diet sodas.

Closed Thread