It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2001, 07:02 PM   #1

Cap114 HB User
Question Atkin's question

Hi... I'm new to this board, but I decided to come here because I started the Atkin's diet today and wondered if someone could answer my question... I'm 5 ft. 7 in. and 114 lbs., so you can tell I'm not morbidly obese, but will this diet help me with my carb. cravings? I have intense binges on breads, cookies, cakes, etc. and then I don't eat for days after that for fear of gaining weight on. I was hoping that I could lose about ten pounds because I know an aunt who was on Atkin's... she lost thirty pounds (!), but she was never addicted to carbs like I am and so she didn't have my problem. Are there any diet drugs that can supress my appetiet (sp)? Any help would be nice!

-Cap114

Old 06-19-2001, 07:45 PM   #2

casper6 HB User
"I'm 5 ft. 7 in. and 114 lbs., "

Woah! You're UNDERWEIGHT right now. You have no business trying to lose weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2001, 06:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Everyone has different experiences. Personally, I just got worse carb cravings on Atkin's, but others on the board may pipe up with difference experiences. What I have found helpful to deal with binging is the Carbohydrate Addict's plan - there have been a number of books about it by Rachel and Richard Heller (and they have a website you can check out).

In a nutshell, two meals a day you eat about 4 oz. of lean protein plus up to 2 cups of low carbohydrate vegetables. For one meal a day you eat a balanced meal that can include high carbohydrate foods (potatoes, bread, and even cookies, ice cream, etc.) and this meal is limited to 60 minutes.

I also belong to an e-mail support list in connection with this plan, and while there is mixed success in the weight loss area (some have tremendous success, some experience fairly long plateaus), all agree that the plan has helped get cravings under control.

Old 06-20-2001, 11:39 AM   #4

Cap114 HB User
Smile

Hey!!! Today was my second day on the diet and I'm not even craving sweets anymore... it feels great. I woke up and didn't think a thing aout breakfast. Also, I've lost five pounds already, but 4.9 of those were probably water.

Old 06-20-2001, 11:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
The question remains... why are you trying to lose weight? Even if you have a small frame, you are underweight. Be careful that you aren't damaging yourself... you might consider working out some. Get some healthy mass on those bones.

Naxis

Old 06-20-2001, 05:28 PM   #6
(female)

chick4u HB User
Talking

That don't sound very healthy...the Atkins diet when you weigh 114 pound and you say you lost 5 pounds now your not 109 the Atkins diet is not for you....chick4u

Old 06-21-2001, 10:47 AM   #7

Cap114 HB User
Smile

Well, today is my third day and I was so sick last night... when I woke up this morning I almost ate some Fig Newton's... right now I'm not hungry though, so maybe I've finally gone into ketosis. oh, I weighed this morning and I haven't lost any since yesterday. bye

Old 06-22-2001, 01:22 PM   #8
Inactive

Copper HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Naxis:
The question remains... why are you trying to lose weight? Even if you have a small frame, you are underweight. Be careful that you aren't damaging yourself... you might consider working out some. Get some healthy mass on those bones.
Naxis
RIGHT ON! I'm with all you responders!

Cap114, it sure sounds like your issues are more than just losing weight - your self image seems to be a bit askew. I don't care WHAT your bone structure is like, you ARE damaging yourself right now! 114 lbs (OR 109) is too thin for your height. If you are losing, it is a safe bet that WHAT you are losing is 1) water weight, as you said, BUT 2) MUSCLE! THAT is not good!

Also, with this eat now, and nothing for hours or DAYS - well, all you are REALLY accomplishing there is to train your body into believing that food is scarce, so therefore it (your body) will store ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING you eat as FAT! This is called "starvation mode".

The human body, in order to avoid starvation mode, requires a STEADY supply of nutrients, meaning meals NO MORE than 4 hrs apart, and for most of us, even that is stretching it, 3 hrs is better.

Think about your car: you don't let it run on empty for a few days on the premise that once it is fueled again, it will appreciate the fuel more and thereby use it more efficiently. right? It flat out wouldn't run again, until it has fuel.

Well, your body is NO DIFFERENT, except, unfortunately, for one specific thing, it WILL keep running, for awhile, even if you let it get empty, and it DOES appreciate the refueling, so it stores the fuel as fat so it can survive the next food drought. In the long run, though you MIGHT lose weight now, you'll be a fat old lady/man if you continue this pattern. Not to mention all the diseases you are opening yourself to such as hypoglycemia, diabetes, joint problems, high cholesterol, heart trouble, and on and on.

MHO? get some counseling for both your poor self-image and nutrition!

------------------
Copper
Let Miracles Replace all Grievances

Old 06-22-2001, 11:02 PM   #9

Cap114 HB User
Umm, I've been reading these posts and I have to say that I feel extremely healthy. If I wasn't I wouldn't be able to bike 40 miles a day, three days a week, or swim or anything else if I was as bad as some of you say I am. Also, I thought that the thinner and more fit you got, the chance for things like diabetes got lower... Type 2? I'm not sure b/c I thought adults got that and I'm a teenager. Anyways, it is very kind for those of you concerned w/ my health, but I'm sure that I'm not sick. In fact, I feel alot better and proud of being able to say no to tempting sugars and starchy foods. My family (mostly my mom though) can't believe how better I look, and I've even gotten praise on my figure, so I'm not on the diet to lose weight but to cut out cravings for candies and such. I'm happy w/ how I look, and I'll defend my bod by saying that I do have muscle, actually alot in my calves and thighs and glutes. I was just wondering about those people that had been on a low carb. diet and felt better and stayed on it. Thanx

Old 08-15-2001, 01:21 PM   #10

scooter9999 HB User

Well, you seem convinced that what you're doing is okay. I realize you probably feel okay at the moment, but your weight was pretty low when you started. A lot of super skinny people you see, ie models, ballet dancers, etc... have a lot eating disorders. One thing you cannot see, is what your bone density is like. You could end up as a 30 year old with a the bones of a 70 year old women.

What weight would you like to get down to, and how are you making this decision?

Based on some height/weight calculations, your weight should be between 120 and 150 pounds. And that's only a rough guideline and varies because everyone is different. Someone with a larger build is naturally going to weigh more.

You should see a doctor and get their recommendation on what your weight should be.

Old 08-30-2001, 04:29 PM   #11

Missy2 HB User
oHH...I am really concerned for you. Key words binges, not eating, wanting to lose 10lbs while being underweight already. It sounds like you may have an eating disorder. I would not go on a diet, but just try to eat more balanced healthy. Maybe you should speak to your physcian about this??

Old 10-05-2001, 09:36 PM   #12

CURCIO HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Cap114:
Hey!!! Today was my second day on the diet and I'm not even craving sweets anymore... it feels great. I woke up and didn't think a thing aout breakfast. Also, I've lost five pounds already, but 4.9 of those were probably water.
today is also my second day! don't miss sugar at all

[This message has been edited by CURCIO (edited 10-06-2001).]

Old 10-06-2001, 01:07 AM   #13

Speedgal HB User
I agree with those that say you have a problem! I'm 5ft 2 and weigh 126 lbs and don't consider myself overweight. I train up to 2 hours a day (running and weights)

You are setting yourself up for osteoporosis. You don't say if you have normal periods - if you don't you already have a problem. Sorry!

Old 10-06-2001, 04:30 AM   #14

wickedfairy HB User
You obviously don't need to be losing any weight, so why not try taking chromium tablet a couple of times a day instead of doing Atkins?

Really helped me with my sugar cravings. GTF (Glucose Tolerance Factor) chromium seems to work best for me.

Old 10-17-2001, 04:50 PM   #15

KuriousWon HB User
I agree with the ppl who responded that you're being unhealthy. I can't believe you would want to lose any weight with your measurements, unless you have an eating disorder. Most ED ppl do deny that they have a problem. I think you should look at yourself carefully in the mirror and see that you don't NEED to lose n e more pounds. Who would want to be so skinny?..unless they're naturally that way.

I didn't mean so sound harsh..just wanted to be straight with you.

Closed Thread