It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2001, 10:29 PM   #1

tweetsquirl HB User
Post a three day fruits/vegetable fast

i forget where i read this, but an article said that going on a three day fruits/vegetables fast can sorta "jump start" your weight loss.

personally, i love fruits, and i'm currently on my first day--i've had nothing but fruits.

i'm just wondering, do you actually lose real weight from this? and if you do, will it be all water weight & you'll quickly gain it back?

thanks.

- Henry Miller

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2001, 12:08 PM   #2

Dralem HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by tweetsquirl:
i forget where i read this, but an article said that going on a three day fruits/vegetables fast can sorta "jump start" your weight loss.

personally, i love fruits, and i'm currently on my first day--i've had nothing but fruits.

i'm just wondering, do you actually lose real weight from this? and if you do, will it be all water weight & you'll quickly gain it back?

thanks.
Well, it doesn't sound very healthy and most likely it would be water weight that is lost. In addition, you'd probably gain a bit back before you starting losing again if you transferred from this diet onto a more normal, non-specific, low calorie/low fat or low carb diet.

In my opinion I think you're better off just starting your diet in a normal fashion, incorporate those fruits and vegetables like you're supposed to, and embark on a healthier lifestyle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2001, 07:57 PM   #3

YMS LL HB User
Tweetsquirl,

I would go one step further and do a 5 day fruit and juice fast, i would not include vegetables.

I do these fasts at least twice a year to cleanse and for detox purposes. So yes it would be a good idea in kick starting your weight loss regime.

Doing a good clean out lets your body work at full potential, cleaning your system of all waste matter accumulated over the years, ie cooked protein, saturated fats, chemicals and preservatives.

I try to stick to a majority fruit diet all year round, i aim for 50%, although i usually end up around 30%.
If this is your first time on the fast you may feel lousy for a few days, headaches, cold like symptoms. This is okay its your body cleaning itself out bigtime.
You may even get a lot of gas, like i did again your bodys waste.

You will find the week after you will feel healthier have heaps more energy

This is a good start, im wondering what your plan is on weight loss after the fruit fast?

YMS

Old 08-10-2001, 11:48 AM   #4

tweetsquirl HB User
the fast has been over for a day now. i started on monday, and ended on wednesday. today's friday...and yesterday i went back to how i regularly eat--but i've controlled myself. so far, i've only had an apple for breakfast.

i have lost weight. 4 pounds, actually, when i weighed in on wednesday night. i don't really know exactly what i have in mind...but i think after this, i have more self-control. and i think i'm gonna cut off bread, pasta, etc, things like that.

- Henry Miller

Old 08-10-2001, 05:29 PM   #5

littlebit HB User
Question

Hello YMS LL!

how long have you been doing these fast for? are they really healthy?

Old 08-11-2001, 08:21 AM   #6

YMS LL HB User
Hey littlebit,

The effectiveness of this fruit fast really depends on your current diet. The worse your diet is the better this fast is for you. Ive been doing these for about 2 years now and the first time i had headaches that would come and go. The most noticeable reaction my body had was the gas as i mentioned before. I felt energized after the fast and my body just felt really light.

My next fast is due September 3 throught sept 7. Ive been a little naughty with my diet lately so i think this clean out will be very refreshing.

I think this fruit fast is very healthy and i believe we all need a good clean out. I would recommend doing it twice a year, every 6 months. Whats most important though is what you do the rest of the time. As long as your are eating "healthy" something like this is not entirely necessary although i would still recommend it.

YMS LL

Oh and in reply to tweetsquirl:

How did you feel when you finished? I usually eat fruit and fruit juice only for breakfast, probably 95% of the time. Its like a mini clean out every day. Remember eat fruit by itself not after meals and wait at least 30 mins before eating after you eat fruit. Try and get some more fruit into you, i dont know that just an apple is enough for breakfast. Remember the body digests fruit very easily, so stock up on fruit, besides it will give a good supply of energy for the rest of the day.

Congratulations on losing the weight. You know your right about the self-control. I found it was big mental test for me when i first did the fruit fast, seeing as i was a big carnivore (eating meat 2 or 3 servings per day). If you can tough it out through the fast you can achieve anything. I think you also think a little clearer, i guess that maybe coz you are carryiing more oxygen in your blood thus more oxygen to the brain.

Are you cutting out bread and pasta b/c you are sticking to a low carb diet? I wouldnt cut out bread and pasta completely unless you plan on losing more weight. Maybe once you get to your target weight you can have bread, pasta, rice, etc sparingly.

YMS

Old 08-11-2001, 09:27 PM   #7

tweetsquirl HB User
Smile

hey yms thanks for sticking w/ me this far.

actually i do plan on losing more weight--and i wanna get down to a reasonable thin size before school starts. that's only 3 wks away.

i'm trying to cut off bread and stuff...but it's hard. my parents always have breads w/ jam for breakfast, and it's hard to resist. i did it through the fruits fast becuz i knew that i couldn't throw away what i've already accomplished so far. but now...

and actually, i felt fine when i finished--i didn't have any headaches or anything.

- Henry Miller

Old 08-12-2001, 07:54 PM   #8

Butch HB User
YMS LL, what kind's of fruit do you recommend eating during this 5 day fast???

Old 08-12-2001, 11:51 PM   #9

YMS LL HB User
Hey again tweetsquirl,

Are you exercising at the moment? The best form of exercise for fat burning/weight loss would be a slow aerobic exercise, something like a slow jog would be perfect. Keep at a comfortable pace as you want your body to start burning fat not glycogen. 45 to 60mins would a good workout. If you are planning to lose more weight keep your carbs to a minimum. Try and get most of your carb intake from fruits and vegetables.

Hey Butch,

All fruit is great for the fruit fast. I would prefer a range so you dont get bored of eating the same fruits. Just make sure its fresh. If you are planning on embarking on a fruit fast remember to eat and graze on enough fruit so you dont get hungry during the 5 days. Also only have water and fresh fruit juice to drink.

YMS

Old 11-05-2001, 06:31 PM   #10

JesterGirl HB User
YMS, your fast sounds very similar to the "Detox Diet". Have you heard of it? It is basically fruit and steamed veggies with a lot of water and herbal teas. I am used to eating a ton of cheese and bread so even the thought of this diet scares me. LOL
I think I'm going to try it though. The fruit one sounds more enticing. Are bananas ok?

Closed Thread