It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2001, 07:13 PM   #1

kendy HB User
Question slim fast--work for 5-8 lb. wieght loss?

Hi ! HAs anyone ever tired the SLim Fast diet with the shakes and meal replacement bars to lose only 5-8 pounds? Everyone that is on it in the commercials has always lost like at least 40 or more it seems. I wondered if anyone has tried it successfully for only 5 pounds or so. Any info would be great! thanks!
:-)

Old 05-29-2001, 10:10 PM   #2

Kennedy HB User
I think it works for every amount of weight.Ive used it alot.Id give it a try.Thats not very much to lose so I think it would work well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2001, 06:07 PM   #3

casper6 HB User
I think SlimFast and the other meal replacements may work better for the smaller losses than for a larger loss.

What's important is what else you are eating along with the Slimfast. Eat a balanced diet and don't cut too far down on the calories. 10-13X body weight in pounds is good.

Old 06-01-2001, 03:12 PM   #4
Inactive

Copper HB User
Hi kendy, I lost 15 or so lbs. with it several years ago, took about 3-4 months. I used the peanut butter/chocolate bars mostly. The shakes upset my stomach (i'm kinda a weenie there). It worked well, and very tasty.

The one problem I DID have is I feel it trained me to require something sweet at least one meal each day. It's been at least 3 1/2 years, and I'm still fighting the sweet cravings and have gained the weight back PLUS!

So, it was only a temporary success for me. Your experience could be totally different. Besides, to lose such a low # of lbs., you hopefully, would not need it long enough to establish a behavior around it. Then, there's always the possibility you're a tougher cookie, anyway, and WOULDN'T establish a behavior around it

Good luck!

------------------
Copper
Let Miracles Replace all Grievances

Old 08-26-2001, 12:08 PM   #5

Branjack HB User
Question

I have just started the slimfast plan. I have lost 2 pounds so far. How did you make out over the last couple of months??

Old 08-26-2001, 01:01 PM   #6

kendy HB User
branjack---
I never really did it the right way. I just wasn't that concerned. But I have been drinking it as a breakfast b/c it is quick and easy and tastes yummy. (the creamy milk chocolate i LOVE!) I have probably been drinking it for breakfast for about three weeks now. I have lost two pounds but i dont' know if it is b/c of the slim fast or not. it may be other things. good luck to you though!

Old 08-29-2001, 01:58 PM   #7

Cutelilsunflower HB User
I love it! I switch back and forth on the flavors and bars, it helped me lose 40lbs and I have 10 to go! Good Luck!

------------------
Bree

[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 11-06-2001).]

Old 10-25-2001, 07:08 AM   #8

Stay at home mom HB User
Smile

Hi all i'm new at this, but I do have good news for the slimfast diet..I've been on it for about 9 weeks and have lost 29lbs. I'm still working hard everyday but the shakes are great and I walk atleast 3 times a week. I don't think you will have any trouble if you follow the plan and drink lots of water.Good Luck!

Old 10-29-2001, 04:14 PM   #9

tigercat77 HB User
hi I was thinking of starting on the slim fast shakes.I want to get the powder ones.Can anyone tell me which flavours are the best or which one to avoid.And if you know if there is lots of sugar in them?and the cost?and how long it lasts?Thanx-if anyone could help and sorry for all the questions

Old 11-05-2001, 10:13 PM   #10

Kennedy HB User
stay at home mom: what is your total plan during the day? and as far as snacks? Do you snack?How much did you have to lose?I am restarting tomorrow and would like some suggestions.I have 5 months to lose 60 lbs for a huge thing.Any help would be great.I am planning on doing my step tape 3 times a week.

Old 11-06-2001, 10:46 AM   #11

Shel HB User
Stay At Home Mom or Cutelilsunflower:

I would also like to know your plan. I've been on the Slim-Fast Diet for two weeks and I have lost about 5 lbs. I want to lose 32 more. Now that I am starting my 3rd week I am having trouble doing the shakes twice a day, so I have been counting my calories/fat grams and drinking the shake for breakfast, and a Lean Cuisine for lunch. I also eat the Slim-Fast snack bars once a day. I also eat really sensible/light for dinner. I try and keep around 1200 calories or less and 20 grams of fat or less. Have you stuck to the Slim-Fast faithfully, no cheating?? Or have you found a way to work around it if you need to as long as you are good with cals/fat? Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Shel

[This message has been edited by Shel (edited 11-06-2001).]

Old 11-10-2001, 09:30 AM   #12

kendy HB User
hey guys.. i have now heard that doing the slim fast plan makes you crave sweets more. I crave sweets NOW! I don't want to crave them MORE! :-)
Has anyone found this to be true?
And also, which of the bars are tasty? I know if I don't find this stuff to taste good and feel satisfied then I will never stick to it. And I really do want to lose 7 or so pounds.
Will it stay off or creep back on if I start eating food again? Obviously it would have to be sensible healthy food i know, but I dont' want to do this if I will have to do it forever and not be able to eat real food again.
Lots of questions I know! Thanks in advance for any replies!
:-)
Kendy

Old 11-12-2001, 05:35 AM   #13

Shel HB User
Hi! Well so far I haven't craved any more sweets than usual, actually I would say less. I guess it's from drinking the shake in the morning, I've already had my chocolate for the day. I really like the Crispy Peanut Caramel (?) bars. I guess if you go off the diet and crave sweets, drink a shake or have one of their snack bars for a snack. Most of their snack bars taste just like Candy. The only way you would gain weight when going off this diet is if you have really bad eating habits again. I definitely eat a lot less, and plan to be really careful when I go off the diet. Just do the best you can do! Good luck!

Shel

Old 11-12-2001, 08:48 AM   #14

Kennedy HB User
Thumbs up

I was doing just 2 shakes and dinner because when I snack on it I NEVER lose weight and I found I was forgetting to have dinner and at 8pm I realized it!! My husband had been making his own. The this weekend I haven't been totallt on the plan but I have had NO appetite. I am a big big eater and ever since even doing it for a few days I eat way less. I don't crave sweets while on it, I have always eaten alot of sugar and have no need for it now. I lost alot on this before having a baby and I only gained the weight back while eating everything in sight night and day and it came back slowly at that.

Old 11-12-2001, 04:40 PM   #15

princessmitzoue HB User
Talking

Slim fast works pretty well if you stick with it...
I juggle work & school during the day, so I find it better if I do the morning shake, eat my "moderate meal" for lunch in between classes & have my last shake for dinner because I'm usually too tired to cook anything anyways. It's been working so far & the bars really help curb my ever so frequent chocolate cravings- I just throw a few in my purse in the morning & I'm set!
Good luck!

Closed Thread