It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2001, 12:12 PM   #1

Lizzybeth HB User
Post How many miles would walking at a brisk pace for an hour be (approx.)?

Hi everyone,
I'm slowly trying to get into shape, and get back into some pants that fit me last year. I am not doing anything too drastic, but one thing that I have started doing is exercising everyday. I used to run long distance, but due to sore knees and such, I am walking. I have been walking for an hour to an hour and a half everyday plus working out on weights for a half hour. I know that walking is not extremely aerobic, but it is better than nothing, eh? My question is: How many miles would walking for an hour at a brisk pace be (approx.)? I would just like a ballpark estimate, if anyone knows. In any case, I am also watching what I eat, counting a few calories here and there (aiming for about 1800-2000 per day) and watching fat and carb intake. It is working. I have been doing this for about a week and my pants are noticibly getting looser.

Another question: I am always hungry since I am exercising more. I find it very easy to drop a few pounds, and I think that I have a fairly fast metabolism. So...what can I do to keep myself full and still watch what I am eating. I don't really restrict myself too much at all, but I just try to eat three square meals a day, and not go overboard with the portions. Any ideas? I have done the low-carb thing, but eating that much rich food makes me sick (literally) and I have NO energy. I did the Atkin's deal for a week, and now I am slowly weaning myself BACK onto heavier foods. I made myself so sick that I could not even think about eating beef or chicken or cheese. I don't think that diet is for me.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Lizzybeth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2001, 05:13 PM   #2
Inactive

plymouth HB User
Thumbs up

Hi Lizzybeth

Probably about four miles an hour, maybe three, maybe five or six, depending on how fast you are really going.

Four miles an hour is a good ballpark estimate.

That's great http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

~p

Old 11-17-2001, 06:05 PM   #3

Speedgal HB User
I have occasionally walked 10k races and flat out walking but not race walking my pace is about 70-72 mins for the 10k. Most people would take 90 mins for a brisk walk for 10k.

BTW from a calorie buring point of view it is your weight x distance that is used for calcluating calories burned. Pace is irrelevant, believe it or not. So if you walk 10k in 90 mins or run it in 40 mins, the calories burned is the same. Obviously the RATE of calorie burning is not.

Good luck!

Old 11-19-2001, 12:02 PM   #4

Lizzybeth HB User
Thank you so much!!

Lizzybeth

Old 11-20-2001, 02:31 PM   #5

Lizzybeth HB User
That's awesome to know! I love walking...I could do it for hours and hours. I am liking the fact that I actually look forward to my walk everyday. I don't think I've lost any huge amount of weight, and not that I wanted to... I just want to get back in shape. I'll keep you all posted!

Lizzybeth

Closed Thread