It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2001, 12:57 PM   #1

Lizzybeth HB User
Talking Atkins vs. vegetarian fare? My story...what do you all think?

I have a question. It is really more of an observation...but I am a little worried. Recently, I tried the Atkin's diet. I mostly wanted to see if it would help clear up my skin (I was breaking out a little off and on) and wanted to tone up a bit. Anyway, about 1 week into the diet, I felt *really* sick, extremely, extremely tired and lethargic. I thought it was my body getting adjusted to the diet. About a week after that, I started eating a few more carbs because I was feeling so sickly. When I started the diet, I wasn't feeling my best, so perhaps there were other factors at work, but after about 2 weeks on this diet I found myself VERY sick, not able to stomach any heavy foods and not hungry at all. I was vomiting, has nausea, was tired..and spent a good 5 days in bed when it all came to a head. Since that time, I had to wean myself back onto food, and I couldn't eat ANY type of meat or dairy or else I would get sick, so I started with easily digestible food (rice).

Since this time, I have not been able to go near any type of meat or dairy. I am lactose intolerant to begin with, but for the Atkin's diet, I took Lactaid and made sure to eat dairy foods that were low in lactose. I still got insane headaches from eating these foods. Anyway, the point to all of this is that I have been eating a (mainly) vegetarian diet (except that I still eat fish and seafood...they are the only bits of protein I can handle) and not been able to eat any of the heavy foods that were outlined in Atkin's plan. Is this normal? I used to be a big meat/dairy fan, and now I can't even go near the stuff in a grocery store. Has anyone else had this experience?

Also, since eating this vegetarian fare, I have felt soooo much better.. have more energy and my skin has a wonderful, healthy glow to it and is clearing up more than ever. Do some people react differently to different diets? I've been reading up so much on how "bad" it is to consume too many carbs, but I feel better EATING carbs. do I stay away from refined sugar and try to eat only complex carbs, though.

Any thoughts on all of this?

Lizzybeth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2001, 10:30 PM   #2

Speedgal HB User
I have tried low carb/high protein/high fat diets before - twice. Both times I came badly unstuck after only a short time. Definitely not for me. REally bad headaches for the most part. I'll stick to about 15% protein, 15-25% fat and 50-70% carbs thanks!

Closed Thread