It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2001, 08:49 AM   #1

HowWhyMe13 HB User
Cool Vegetarians are a plus!

Me and my friend two weeks ago have decided to become vegetarians. We do eat however dairy and fish. I read in an article my mom got me from her office about vegetarians. It is proven that vegetarians turn out leaner and more healthier than people who eat meat. And ever since I became one I have more energy. Also now I feel that I have made a comitment to the animals.

Old 11-22-2001, 06:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by HowWhyMe13:
Me and my friend two weeks ago have decided to become vegetarians. We do eat however dairy and fish.
I wasn't aware that you could eat flesh (fish or other meat) and still be considered a vegetarian. Have they changed the rules?

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2001, 06:02 AM   #3

HowWhyMe13 HB User
There are many different definitions of vegetarians. There are lacto-omnivegetarians(I think thats how you spell it) that eat fish and have dairy products. thats what I am. Then there are real vegetarians that don't eat any kind of meat. There are about ten different types. I can't name them all. But if I can find out I will be sure to let you know.

Old 11-23-2001, 07:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
There are lacto-ovo-vegetarians which consume dairy products (the "lacto" part of that title) and eggs (the "ovo" part of that title), but they do not consume any meat, poultry, or fish.

Then there are vegans which consume no animal products whatsoever.

Of course, you can also have a ovo-vegetarian which excludes meat, poultry, fish, and diary but does eat eggs. Or lacto-vegetarian which consumes dairy products but no meat, poultry, fish, or eggs.

After doing a quick search on [url="http://www.***********"]www.***********[/url] I found a couple of definitions that I wasn't aware of. There is the pesco-vegetarian that eats dairy, eggs, and fish, but no other animal foods and the semi-vegetarian that mostly follows a vegetarian diet but eats meat, poultry and fish occasionally. I'm not sure either of these cases really meet the definition of vegetarian since they involve some form of meat in the diet, but what do I know. I thought I understand the definition of "is" at one time, but that has changed also.

If you are following one of these types of diet in an attempt to lose weight you will likely still have to limit your intake of sugars and starches as well if you want to be successful. Excess sugar and starch gets converted to fat and stored rather easily. Too much fruit can also hinder weight loss. If you feed your body all of the glucose (created from sugars and other carbohydrates) that it needs for energy, then it never has any need to go to its fat stores for energy.

Alan

[This message has been edited by arkie6 (edited 11-23-2001).]

Old 11-23-2001, 08:24 AM   #5

HowWhyMe13 HB User
I am not doing it to lose weight. I don't like the treatment towards animals. I hav tried before, but didn't suceed. This time I have. Thanks for the information though. I had a sheet with it, but I couldn't find it.

Closed Thread