It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2001, 09:02 AM   #1

clipperboi HB User
Post SOY MILK vs MILK

Is soy milk better for you ?, and why ?

Old 10-28-2001, 06:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Nope. Because it is made from soybeans.

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2001, 09:58 AM   #3

clipperboi HB User
Is there an alternative to milk then, or is milk fine.

Old 10-29-2001, 01:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Given the alternatives of whole milk, reduced fat milk, or a milk substitute made from soy, I would have to give the nod to whole milk. But I wouldn't overdo it with milk. Pure water is your best source of fluid. My thoughts are to choose whole foods that are as close to their natural state as possible.

Why the questions about milk? What is your concern?

Alan

Old 10-31-2001, 09:13 AM   #5

scooter9999 HB User

Well, if you cannot digest dairy products, milk wouldn't be a very good choice. For some people, having their stomach tied in knots would be the result if they drank regular milk.

Quality soy drink has as much(if not more) calcium and protein as regular milk.

The dairy board will tell you that you need dairy products for calcium. Do not believe them. Dairy, along with many other foods contain plenty of calcium. ie, brocolli, potatoes, etc...

Humans are the only mammal that continues to consume dairy products as adults. Plus, it's dairy products from cows, goats, sheep,etc...not from humans. I'm not saying it's good or bad - but it gives you something to think about.

Cheese is one of my favourite foods, and I'm not about to quit eating it.

Old 11-18-2001, 06:41 AM   #6
Inactive

erivkin HB User
Exclamation

Avoid soy milk like the plague. It was never meant for humans to eat soy in its unfermented state. Nama shoyu, a type of fermented soy sauce, is ok if you want to add a salty asian flavor to foods.

GOT NUTMILK? Milks made from almonds, sesame, etc., are much richer in available calcium, live enzyme rich fats that won't make you fat, and loads of more nutrients. You won't regret it!!

------------------
Turning over a new leaf

[This message has been edited by HB_BiG-MOD (edited 11-18-2001).]

Old 11-19-2001, 09:38 AM   #7

scooter9999 HB User

Avoid it like the plague?? Don't be making blanket statements about the dangers of soy. Too much of anything can be bad. And some people can eat certain foods, while others cannot.

Peanuts will kill some people, but they're fine for others.

So if you happen to be one of those people who get violent cramps/diarrhea from dairy products, you better just put up with it. It just what nature intended??? Dairy is your only source of calcium???

Do not believe everything your read!!! Do your own research and make your choices based on intelligent reasoning - not based on the latest fad or newest scare tactic.

Old 11-19-2001, 12:08 PM   #8

Lizzybeth HB User
I agree.. I drink soy milk instead of regular milk. I am fine with that. I don't drink too much...only about 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups/day. If you cannot tolerate soy, I would stick with something else. I've also tried rice beverages and nut beverages. I like them, too, but since I don't have a lot of money (being a student), and not a lot of access to health food stores, I stick with soy milk because I can get it at the local grocery store.

Too much of anything is bad for you, but I think if you drink modest amounts of the stuff, soy milk should be fine.

Lizzybeth

Old 11-22-2001, 06:59 AM   #9

scooter9999 HB User

The dangers of soy. Now there's a scary article. I love the part about how wonderful milk must be, because 1st generation Japanese-American children grow taller than there Japanese born parents. Hmm, is that from milk???...or maybe it's the overabundance of calories and fat that they consume while they're growing up??? Tall children that end up suffering the same health problems that the rest of the western world now suffers.

The only people saying soy is the answer to all health problems are no better than any other member of the food industry that claims there particular product is something you cannot live without.

There are healthy people in this world that consume soy, beef, pork, dairy, poultry, seafood, grains, etc... but stuffing yourself with too much of any one food has never proven to be healthy.

Just remember, I or anyone else could put up a series of web pages about the dangers of brocolli. It wouldn't matter if it was true or not. You make sure every search engine is indexed with the page, and pretty soon, you have everyone running around, scared of brocolli.

Old 12-02-2001, 04:59 AM   #10

Kandiss HB User
Your going to hear the pros and cons with both soy and dairy. Personally I've been using soy milks for years and love them. Can't say I'm unhealthy either.

I personally believe it is time adults wean themselves from mammilian milk. You would be a lot healthier for the reason if you knew what they pumped into dairy animals. Take a look around at the 10 year olds who look as well developed as a 20 year old.

Closed Thread