It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2001, 12:15 PM   #1

clara39 HB User
Smile Best way, least unpleasant way to take FLAX OIL

I have to take Flax Oil due to my high tryglicerides. I hate the stuff and gag every time I take it. Does anyone have ANY idea how to somehow mix it, hide it, cover the taste.

Thank you inadvance

Old 12-18-2001, 04:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

Hi,

You can read what I wrote to Keren about flax seeds. I don't know the nutritional difference of eating flax seeds over the flax seed oil that you are taking, but flax seeds can be mixed with other foods.

Possibly, you can check this out and see if this is a good alternative for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2001, 11:07 PM   #3

Lu_lu HB User
I take flax seed in a pill form, is this possible for you, this eliminates the awful taste.

Old 12-27-2001, 08:06 AM   #4

kraypm HB User
Talking

Hi! I drink a breakfast shake with flax oil sometimes:

1 cup orange juice
1 cup cranberry juice
1 cup yogurt
1 cup van. soy milk
1 tablespoon flax oil (but I use 3 or 4 tbspns)

It tastes great, and you can't taste it at all!

K

Old 01-01-2002, 06:39 AM   #5
(female)

cindyn HB User
I have come across some bad tasting flax too. It could be the brand. Barlean's is the best I have found. And, make sure you are keeping it refridgerated - it will spoil and then taste even worse.

Assuming you are doing that and have a good tasting one, here is how I use it:

1. On toast instead of butter - my favorite. Sounds strange, but it is good. I have a spelt bread (by Nokomis) I like this with.
2. In a morning protein shake - easy and you don't notice the taste.
3. In yogurt
4. In a salad dressing - then use with salad, veggies, etc.
5. On top of steamed veggies

Just make sure you don't heat the oil.

Good luck.
<><

Old 01-01-2002, 09:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Smile

Alan,

Aren't cholesterol levels largely controlled by the amount of exercise that we do? If a person consumes "whole grains" and fresh fruits instead of refined carbohydrate products, can this cholesterol level can change to acceptable levels?

I'm not an expert on this, but I feel that a person that eats "natural" foods, that are not processed have a significant healthy advantage over people that eat a lot of this canned and boxed food we find commonly in supermarkets.

Whole grains are things like wheat berries (natural whole wheat seeds), brown rice, oats, flax seed, millet, and barley etc. Most people don't even know what wheat berries are (unless one is a wheat farmer), because a lot of us have known nothing else but white flour our whole lives. The whole grains are very nutritious.

For someone like me that cannot consume a lot of meat, I find these natural foods healthy. With exercise, my cholesterol levels are shown to be excellent. I would expect that a lot of other people that follow this example, also would find their cholesterol levels to be excellent as well.

Old 01-01-2002, 05:42 PM   #7

khorne HB User
Talking

Where I live I can get flax seed oil that's cinnamon flavoured. It's still not great, but much better than the regular stuff. I just take it by the teaspoonful.

Old 01-02-2002, 07:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Smile

Alan,

I had another question. Where do you read or find that fructose, a sugar in fruit, is a major contributor in elevated triglycerides? Is that just fructose that can be purchase as a supplement, or are you referring to natural fresh fruit?

I eat a tremendous amount of fresh fruit, sometimes as much as 8 pieces of fruit a day, yet my triglyceride levels are excellent. Of course, I also abstain from alcohol, exercise, eat whole grains, and emphasize my eating habits around natural foods.

I also still feel that carbs get a bad rap. It's the refined carbohydrates that can create a problem, not the wholesome whole natural grains that we should be eating. Flax seeds are just one example of these whole grains, that are very healthy for us.

Old 01-02-2002, 02:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Smile

Thanks Alan,

It's an interesting subject. I know that there are different people that strongly agree or disagree with what the best diet is, whether it is high in animal products or high in plant foods.

For myself, I prefer the plant-based diet. I eat lots of carbs, sometimes it could be at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. These carbs are commonly natural whole grain cereals, which for me are millet, brown rice, wheat berries, and flax seed.

Thanks for the links. I'll take a look at it.

Old 01-02-2002, 02:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Smile

Alan,

I looked at your links briefly, and I believe the fructose that they are talking about are the added sweetners for processed foods. This is what Dr. Mercola states concerning this:

"This doesn't mean that one should avoid fruit, however. Eating small amounts of whole fruit will NOT provide tremendous amounts of fructose, and should not be a problem for most people, unless diabetes or obesity is an issue. However, fruit juices, sodas, and other beverages sweetened with fructose should be avoided."

That's pretty much what I thought. I agree wholeheartedly. It's best, I believe, to avoid those added chemicals and sugars etc. in our foods. That's why I won't drink fruit juice from the store. I make my own juice from natural fruit.

Again, thanks for the information.

Closed Thread