It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2001, 01:10 PM   #1
(female)

keren HB User
Post Flax SEEDS.... NOT flax seed oil

Hey guys~

I jes wanted to know if anyone eats flax seeds and wanted to know if they taste good.

Also where do you buy them? Please don't say "at your local health food stores"..because there aren't any local health foods stores I can find...the only things that come close to health foods stores is a gourmet supermarket or a Fresh Fields supermarket or GNC.

Also for the flax seeds, can you eat it whole or do you have to mill or grind it first?

thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2001, 05:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

Hi,

Yes, at times I eat flax seeds. I grind them up with my wheat berries (natural wheat seeds) and brown rice. I make a multi-grain natural cereal this way. I mix with water and heat over the stove. The combination tastes good. I have read so much about the health benefits of flax seeds, so I mix them in for that purpose. I haven't experimented enough to tell about the individual taste with or without the flax seeds.

I buy my flax seeds at a food market. I buy these in 25lb. bags. You'll save a lot of money this way, other than buying it at a healthfood store, normally. You'll have to check around. It depends where you live, and what stores might have this for you.

I hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2002, 03:25 PM   #3

bitterglitter HB User
What is the purpose of eating flax seeds?

Kat

Old 01-02-2002, 08:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Smile

Flax seeds are a food that provide quite a lot of nutrition. They are high in fiber, lignans, and omega-3 fatty acids. There's quite a bit of research done on this. You can find a lot of this information on the internet.

Some people might eat them for other reasons, like for taste, but for me I just grind them up with my wheat berries and brown rice. I consume them for their health benefits.

Old 01-02-2002, 10:51 PM   #5
(female)

keren HB User
hey rhody

ok my sister jes sent me a bag of flax seeds and i am going to try them tomorrow...

are they supposed to be really small? they are the size of ....errmmm...little fleas...they look sorta gross...

aren't they supposed to be bigger?

i mean, on the bag itself..it says organically grown flax seeds..but they look a bit different than i imagined

Old 01-03-2002, 11:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Smile

The flax seeds that I buy, are small, flat, shiny and brown. They have the shape of a sunflower seed, but are much smaller. Be careful not to spill any of these. They are hard to clean up. If you do it once, you'll see what I mean.

They don't look gross to me; I kind of like them because of their shiny texture. But, then it might be because I'm used to seeing them around.

To save on costs, I buy my flax seeds in 25lb. bags.

Old 01-09-2002, 05:16 PM   #7

AnitaChiquita HB User
They taste nutty to me. I think they're good.
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif

Closed Thread