It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 05:13 AM   #1
(female)

sorrel2 HB User
homemade "Ensure"?

Supposedly you can live on nothing but "Ensure" type drinks and be totally fine. Well, I have looked at the ingredients of Ensure and it's nothing but protein powder, sugar/corn syrup, oil and vitamins. Doesn't seem particularly healthy to me (in fact it looks horrible to me ... can you believe they give this stuff to sick people?) It doesn't even have any fiber. I have been drinking homemade blended things consisting of whey protein powder, fruit, and ground flaxseeds. Occasionally I add other stuff like almond butter or rice bran. And I take a multivitamin. Do you think something like this is okay as my primary source of nutrition? I am not going to get into my whole story here, but I've been very sick, no one can diagnose it, but I have trouble eating (no appetite, feel nauseous and really full all the time) so I am pretty much just consuming liquids these days.

I used to eat tons of vegetables so I feel weird about not having any veggies... when I do feel like eating real food, I eat some steamed broccoli or green beans or something. I have also been experiementing with blended raw veggies, like gazpacho soup.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: homemade "Ensure"?

Sorrel,

ENSURE is FAR from healthy but there are some people who are so sick they cannot eat for one reason or another, so they've devised a product like this that most people can get down and it CAN support life for a reasonably long time.

Think of it sort of like an IV drip...nobody would WANT to be fed indefinitely through a needle but for some people it can mean the differece between life and death in an emergency situration.

I tasted it once...yeccch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2005, 05:30 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User
Re: homemade "Ensure"?

You need the high protein shakes but the Ensure is packed with vitamins that you will not get in homemade shakes. If you need fiber then take a suppliment. Hope you feel better soon and make sure you keep your calorie count up.

Closed Thread