It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #1
(female)

katied1183 HB User
How does drinking alcohol affect my diet???

Anyone have any thoughts on how i might be affecting my weight loss when i drink? on the nights that i know i will be drinking, i usually eat about 1500 calories during the day, and then when i drink, i usually have vodka or rum with diet sodas, so i usually stay under 500 calories, making for still only consuming 2000 calories that day. i know that when the body digests and processes alcohol, it does that first and foremost while ignoring burning fat. Do you think I am hurting my weight loss efforts a lot by drinking this much every friday and saturday? how much would it slow me down? even with drinking, there is still a calorie deficit because just my BMR is about 1800, not to mention my daily activity and exercise. what do you think???

Old 08-19-2005, 06:22 PM   #2
(female)

Steph@nie HB User
Re: How does drinking alcohol affect my diet???

Have you been losing weight? That would be my first question. If you have successfully lost weight while still drinking on the weekends I guess it doesn't really matter! If you seem to be having a hard time, I would say that you should cut back to maybe one night a week or something like that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2005, 05:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I agree with Stephanie, the way to determine your MAINTENANCE CALORIES is by seeing whether or not you gain or lose at a certain caloric intake over time. If you are losing at your current average (1643 calories/day) then your MAINTENANCE is higher than that.
The exact effect of the extra 1000 calories a week from booze (are you sure what the batender is giving you?) would be about 1 pound less loss per month than without the two days a week of drinks.

Old 08-21-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

There is absolutely nothing wrong with drinking while you are trying to lose weight!! And you are going about it perfectly by using diet sodas as mixers.
I actually read an article a little while ago about how alcohol HELPED some women lose weight (take it for what it's worth), but even if this is not true, it did not really impede their weight loss, so that's a good thing.

You shouldn't put off having fun and living...you can modify things, but you don't have to eliminate them completely. Enjoy your rum and diet coke on weekend nights (or whenever) and don't feel bad about it the next day (unless you are really hungover)..haha. But to avoid having that happen, take a couple B vitamins before you go to bed at night. It does wonders!

Anyway, good luck with everything. Great question - it's always been one of my biggest concerns, too. So far, so good!!!

Closed Thread