It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
(female)

kathy2d2 HB User
Smelly Skin - Omega3

This may be the wrong board to post this in but I hope someone can answer this. Several weeks ago I started taking Fish Oil concentrate on my doctors orders. He never said how much to take, so I followed the amounts on the bottle (1000mg 3 times a day). Everything was ok until today! I went out for a little while this morning (it's very hot here) and I kept smelling a peculiar odor. After awhile, I realized it was me!! The smell of the fish oil is coming right through my pores - my skin STINKS! It doesn't smell fishy, but it smells like fish OIL and it is very unpleasant. I went right into the shower and scrubbed and it was fine as long as I stayed in the air conditioned house. I went out to water plants, and less than 5 minutes later, I smell it again. This is not the first time I have been in the sun/heat since I started taking these things - I go out nearly every day, with no smelly affects. What my question is, is have I built up so much in my system that it comes out when I sweat, am I taking too much? The reason the doctor wants me to take it is because my cholestrol is a tad high, but not high enough to warrant regular medication. He also says the benefits of the fish oil outweigh any side effects. I recently read that this is the ONLY thing President Bush takes and he is extremely healthy. I can't believe he goes around smelling like this though. The doctor is on vacation now, so I hope someone on this board will be kind enough to share any info they might have on this subject.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
(female)

goldenseal HB User
Re: Smelly Skin - Omega3

OMG! I thank you for this post, really. I started taking fish oil a couple of weeks ago, taking 3 of them a day. For the past week I've been smelling... not like fish oil or fish, just like really bad B.O. I never smell like this... so easily! Maybe we should try taking 2 aday? Any suggestions anyone?

Old 08-20-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
(female)

kathy2d2 HB User

Thanks for responding - I posted this on another board too and someone else responded that they take twice as much as I do and work out regularly and sweat a lot with no odor. After showering, I tried going out again in the heat and sure enough, same thing. I do think now though, it might just be my arms where I used a hair remover this morning. Maybe my pores were open from the hair remover, or maybe the oily stuff I put on after turned bad when I went outside. It may be that and not the Omega 3. I'm going to wait to take more until tomorrow afternoon just to be sure - I don't want to smell in church tomorrow morning.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
(female)

goldenseal HB User

Haha... I don't know, I think the fact that we are both responding to the fish oil similarly should be considered. I mean, it's not like I haven't smelled before, but honestly I rarely ever smell- even during hot weather... yet now it's a constant thing. I also eat extremely healthy, and they say if you eat really healthy, and keep your body free of most toxins, then you should rarely smell. Well, maybe we could look up if there are any adverse side effects to taking fish oil...

Old 08-20-2005, 08:31 PM   #5
(female)

kathy2d2 HB User

I'm going to try the enteric coated ones. Following is what someone else on the other site responded:
Thank you to all who responded! The info is most helpful. Also - KATHY - the supplement I bought says its odorless. and it is. (Nature Made Vitamins). It explains that they have a special enteric coating to dissolve the capsule in the intestine, not the stomach. Check a few different brands next time you're out and about. I saw several brands which have this "odorless" feature. Happy shopping

Closed Thread