It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
(male)

Desperado72 HB User
Lowering Cholesterol & Triglycerides

Hi all,

I got the results of a blood test a few days ago, and my cholesterol and triglycerides are pretty high. Cholesterol=280, Triglycerides=420. I'm a bit surprised, because I don't really eat a lot of junk food. I've been drinking SlimFast shakes twice a day, and usually a fairly decent dinner. I'm single and don't cook, so I eat mostly TV dinners and fast food, but not a lot of fried stuff. Usually have salad at least 1-2 times a week. I don't exercise much, but I don't eat all that much either. I'm about 10 pounds over my ideal weight, 33 years old. There's a history of heart problems on my mother's side.

I'm already taking steps to change my diet, but I'm wondering if the SlimFast shakes could possibly have anything to do with it. It just seemed like the numbers were awfully high, and I'm thinking there might be something specific in my diet that might be causing it.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Any specific tips or advice beyond the normal "diet and exercise"? Thanks.

Old 08-21-2005, 07:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User
Re: Lowering Cholesterol & Triglycerides

It's nto the Slimfast as much as it is the fast food. Although you eat salads 1-2x pe week, the rest of the time you are doing the damage. Even if you don't necessarily have french fries or chicken nuggets, burgers, sauces, shakes, drinks and everything else are just as-if not more so- artery clogging. You don't need to be able to cook gourmet foods to eat healthy- you need to stock up on fruits and veggies, whole grain breads and lean meats. Most things can even be done on the grill or in the microwave! Even the tv dinners are not that great for you. Exercise is a huge factor that can help raise HDL (good chol.) levels. Choloesterol isn't so much a function of your weight as it is your diet, activity level and genetics. But with the proper adjustments you can lower them fairly easily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2005, 07:35 PM   #3
(male)

Desperado72 HB User

Thanks GG for the response. I don't eat a lot of fried fast food, but at night I have a weakness for Doritos and sweets.

I've already bought some fruit and veggies, and I'm going to try pretzels instead of Doritos. But I don't know what to do about main courses. Lean meat, eh? What do I do with it? I'm really not much of a cook. I'd rather buy something prepared. Anyway, I bought a few South Beach diet tv dinners as well. Not sure what they'll be like.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

You can grill lean meats (by that i mean fish, chicken, pork, lean cuts of beef occasionally, veal, lamb occasionally, turkey) on the bbq with some salt and pepper and garlic sprinkled on em. If you don't have a bbq, an indoor grill is great, OR you can just lightly pan fry them (using a non stick spray, cooking till cooked through). For some meats you can simmer them in a cup or so of water (ie/ chicken takes about 20 minutes from frozen), or cook them on a baking sheet in the oven, or even (sometimes) microwave em- but that's not the tastiest option.

Most meats are available frozen, either plain or seasoned, in the form of simple cuts (ie/ a chicken breast) or prepared (ie/ chicken kabobs), and the instructions to cook are right on the package. You could also buy fresh meats and search the net for recipes that are easy and quick (most meats can be easily grilled).

Fruits and veggies are great- drink lots of water as well, and try eating veggies or soy chips instead of chips sometimes. Theres also lots of 'sweet' alternatives like fruit, cookies (healthy ones, like low fat, high fibre), etc.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
(male)

fmos687 HB User

Desp72
You sound just like i did Try's were 460. I am now taking Tricor to help with the chlosterol. however i am wondering other things now
I am 40 and exercise regularly including motocross twice a week
I am 5'9 and 150 pounds
The question i have is could my thyroid have anything to do with my hairloss and sleepless nights to where i wake up all night atleast 10 times a night
also have notice erectile disfunction everyone once in a while it seems that maintaing or quality of erection meaning not to full potential

Is it remotely possibly that the reason for my problem along with alot of hairloss, sleepless nights, tired all the time. i eat wright now i have completey stopped the fast food except may once every 2 months i may drink a soda once a month
I drink water all the time

Old 08-22-2005, 07:22 PM   #6
(male)

Desperado72 HB User

Thanks for the cooking lessons, GG. I've heard people say crock pots are great, so maybe I'll get one of those. And I've got a George Foreman grill somewhere gathering dust, I think.

I started taking Advicor a couple days ago, and I'm trying to take a long walk every night, weather permitting. That, plus the healthy crap should make a difference. I feel like I've even lost a pound or two in the last week or so. I just hate that I have to wait so long to see if there's any difference. I guess we'll see what happens.

Old 09-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #7
(male)

Dave-K HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado72
That, plus the healthy crap should make a difference.
I see alot of you in me when I first had my cholesterol checked at it was 280. There are many pitfalls to *our* eating habits. When I first started, I could not give up that Sunday Morning walk to the deli to get the "Breakfast Barge" which was like 3 eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese on a foot long hero! That basically gave me enough cholesterol to last me a week!

As you do more research, you will find that alot of different foods effect you in many different ways. Dorito's, Fast Food...etc have tons of Saturated Fats. You actually want to avoid those fats and anything Hydro...whatever-ated fats. :-)

When I do need to use oil/butter, I tend to use Olive Oil as it has Mono-unsaturated and Poly Unsaturated fats. You may want to do research on the best ratio as I don't have that off hand.

Last year I was eating Oatmeal in the morning, a salad for lunch and a decent dinner... of course, even I will admit I could not keep up with that and there are times when a meal is going to go against the diet you keep. I have fast food from time to time... that's probably why I am taking medication to keep my cholesterol in order.

If you find as your on the medication that your cholesterol is still high you have to understand, with your family history it could be hereditary. Diet, Excercise and the medication will do you well in that combination.

Sorry for the rant but I've been where you are (and still am to some extent)

Dave

Closed Thread