It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
(male)

SaintAngerBH HB User
Caffeine issues with Green Tea

I used to get panic attacks, and I also have issues with general anxiety.

Ever since I started getting panic attacks I have avoided anything with caffeine in it. Today I picked up a bottle of green tea and drank it, forgetting that there was caffeine in it. I'm happy to say I finally was able to do that without gettin an attack, and just getting jittery like I used to. I felt accomplished, almost like I have a hold on this panic thing.

I want to start drinking a bottle of this stuff regularly as I'm dealing with thinning hair and I've heard this is a good way to help halt the DHT caused hair loss and also because of it's other health benefits.

My question is does anyone know the bad effects of drinking caffeine. I know Green Tea has only 1/4 what a cup of coffee has, but I just want to make sure drinking green tea really is the healthy choice.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2005, 07:44 PM   #2
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Re: Caffeine issues with Green Tea

We have decaffienated green tea in our stores. That's all I drink. Look for it in the tea isle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2005, 12:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belle2003 HB User

I am very sensitive to caffiene. I usually become very agitated and my heart races therefore I avoid it. I am gambling if I drink regular green tea. Sometimes the caffiene does not bother me and then other times I am so wired I can't stand it. So your best bet is to drink decaffienated green tea. Better safe than sorry.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:12 AM   #4
(male)

ksaguy HB User

well i suggest you you try Jasmine Green Tea someday.
Its much more refreshing IMO!

Old 09-04-2005, 06:27 AM   #5
(female)

amo HB User

I used to suffer from anxiety attacks, and I now drink coffee with no problems. I love green tea also, however, the jasmine green tea I have does make me a little jittery. You also can get decaffinated green tea, and it still gives you most of the antioxidants. But when you say "bottle," do you mean the commercial, sweetened green tea?
I wouldn't drink that stuff, it's got too much other junk in it. Try for plain old green tea, or flavored, but not sweetened!

Old 09-04-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
(male)

SaintAngerBH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amo
I used to suffer from anxiety attacks, and I now drink coffee with no problems. I love green tea also, however, the jasmine green tea I have does make me a little jittery. You also can get decaffinated green tea, and it still gives you most of the antioxidants. But when you say "bottle," do you mean the commercial, sweetened green tea?
I wouldn't drink that stuff, it's got too much other junk in it. Try for plain old green tea, or flavored, but not sweetened!
Yeah I don't drink the regular stuff.

I drink the Arizona No Carb Blueberry (or Cranberry) Green Tea. only 5 cals.

Not a good choice?

Old 09-04-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
(male)

SaintAngerBH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAngerBH
Yeah I don't drink the regular stuff.

I drink the Arizona No Carb Blueberry (or Cranberry) Green Tea. only 5 cals.

Not a good choice?
Also how much would you recommend for a daily intake?

Maybe I'll go to the grocery store and look for a box of decaf green tea.

Old 09-04-2005, 06:46 PM   #8
(female)

amo HB User

well, I don't know the exact ingredients in the Arizona, but I would imagine it's more than just green tea leaf. Ideally, that is all that should be in there (well, and water, of course )
Especially if you are concerned about anxiety, you want to make sure you know what could be the cause. If you were to drink one of those bottled teas, and had an anxiety attack, it would be difficult to know if it was the sugar/sugar substitutes, the caffine, the chemicals, or the combination.
If you find you can drink these w/o anxiety problems, and you like them....ok.
But I still say plain old green tea is better, you get the antioxidant benefit, with none of the extra stuff that is essentially just waste in your system.
The taste can take some getting used to, tho!

Old 09-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #9
(female)

amo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAngerBH
Also how much would you recommend for a daily intake?

Maybe I'll go to the grocery store and look for a box of decaf green tea.
Well, three cups a day is great. However, many people (myself included) supplement green tea (thru capsules, gum, etc) because the antioxidant benefit is much better from a higher dose that is hard to get from just drinking tea. You'd have to drink a ton of it to get the same beneift from a supplement.

Old 09-04-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
(male)

SaintAngerBH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amo
well, I don't know the exact ingredients in the Arizona, but I would imagine it's more than just green tea leaf. Ideally, that is all that should be in there (well, and water, of course )
Especially if you are concerned about anxiety, you want to make sure you know what could be the cause. If you were to drink one of those bottled teas, and had an anxiety attack, it would be difficult to know if it was the sugar/sugar substitutes, the caffine, the chemicals, or the combination.
If you find you can drink these w/o anxiety problems, and you like them....ok.
But I still say plain old green tea is better, you get the antioxidant benefit, with none of the extra stuff that is essentially just waste in your system.
The taste can take some getting used to, tho!
I don't even care how it tastes. I'm more concerned about my health nowadays than taste.

I still like to drink alcohol some...but for the last 3 or so years I haven' taken care of myself at all. So I'm trying to reverse or halt some of that damage.

Old 09-05-2005, 03:41 PM   #11
(male)

SaintAngerBH HB User

Ok so today I'm getting heart palps or heart flutters, the day after drinking the tea with caffeine. Is that common for heart palps the day AFTER drinking caffeine?

I bought decaf green tea at the store last night and drank a cup before bed, and 2 cups this morning followed by a couple glasses of oj. Any correlation?

For the last 3 years or so I've had palps off and on, esp around the time I was getting lots of panic attacks. Haven't had ANY lately until today....

Kinda freakin me out. Should I stop even with the decaf tea?

Old 09-05-2005, 08:10 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

surrealmeal HB User

I would stop the decaf tea and see if the palpitations subside. De-caffeinated varieties of tea and coffee usually still have a small amount of caffeine. Check the box. Good luck, hope your palpitations stop.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:04 AM   #13
(female)

amo HB User

Yeah, I agree with surrealmeal. Sorry...I probably should have mentioned that decaf usually contains some caffeine. Doesn't seem right to me, but...
I hope these palps don't last long for you.
You just may have to avoid caffeine all together, which is no biggie. And if you want antioxidants, there are other ways of getting them beside the green tea.
The vitamin/supplement board has a lot of good info, you could run a search on antioxidants and see what you turn up.
Good luck!

Old 09-06-2005, 07:57 PM   #14
(male)

SaintAngerBH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amo
Yeah, I agree with surrealmeal. Sorry...I probably should have mentioned that decaf usually contains some caffeine. Doesn't seem right to me, but...
I hope these palps don't last long for you.
You just may have to avoid caffeine all together, which is no biggie. And if you want antioxidants, there are other ways of getting them beside the green tea.
The vitamin/supplement board has a lot of good info, you could run a search on antioxidants and see what you turn up.
Good luck!
Yeah, I actually forgot that Decaf means LITTLE caffeine, and Caffeine Free means no caffeine.

So I did some looking at the store and found a tea called "True Blueberry". I've heard blueberries are number one among fruits and veggies in anti-oxidants and are great for anti-aging, which is a big deal to me.

Naturally free of caffeine and tastes great.

So I switch to this tea and I've only had a couple palps today, probably gonna just gradually die out. My overall anxiety seems much lower today too.

Thanks for all the responses!

But I still haven't found much info on Blueberry tea. Anyone have anymore info as far as the health benefits? Is it as good as eating blueberries?

Closed Thread