It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2003, 01:11 PM   #1

nan65 HB User
Post Steadily Gaining Weight...I need help!

Hello, all, I have a problem that I hope you can help me with. I'm 37 years old and have gained about 25 pounds in the last couple of years. It doesn't sound like a lot, but I've never had much of a weight problem before. I know my metabolism has slowed due to age, but lately it seems like I gain weight from month to month. I went from being somewhat thin (size 9) to barely being able to fit in 11's and even 13's sometimes. I don't have an thyroid problem (tested), I'm not eating more than usual, I haven't given up on smoking (Yes, I know I should, but it's not going to happen any time soon), and I've never been much of an exerciser, so it's not like my activity level has plummeted. In fact, I'm doing MORE active things now than I ever have. Yet I how have a large pot belly, an ever growing over-hanging midriff (which I hate, at least I can hide the tummy!), extra "rolls" and growing thighs! I work at a desk (always have) and realize I should exercise more, but does anyone have any hints on dropping some of this weight besides that? It's so hard to diet when you work in an office; not alot of choices for lunch and snacks. Does anyone have any tips they can share with me? I would like to lose 20 pounds in as little time as possible (without over-doing it). Please help! I love funky clothes and I'm having a harder and harder time fitting in what I like to wear and I feel heavy and depressed and unhealthy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2003, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Lindarella HB User
Hi nan. I hear you honey!! This is exactly what I did, gained 30 lbs in 3 years. It's a bummer isn't it? It's easy to do. If you look at calorie intake, gaining 25 lbs in 2 years means that you only ate about 100 calories more a day than you did before. That isn't very much. It would be hardly noticable to the average person. I lost all the weight in a relatively short amount of time.

Click on this thread below. It's a link to a discussion we had about it a few weeks ago. It explains how I lost it. This plan isn't for everyone, but it worked for me in a similar situation as yours.
[url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum38/HTML/001396.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum38/HTML/001396.html[/url]

Good luck to you nan. You can do it.

Old 04-30-2003, 08:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Hello, Guess what? Weight gain is part of the natural aging process. We just can't eat as much as we could when we were younger and not expect to gain weight. Another thing that will make a person gain weight faster than anything is certain types of medications or birth control pills. As far as the office situation goes...Sometimes it takes one person to get the office work place into a healthy mode. Is it possible to go for short walks during break instead of sitting in a break room? There's also the "Bring your own snack" tactic. You could bring healthier snacks like pretzels, grapes, mini rice cakes, fresh fruit, celery, baby carrots, dry cereal...or chew gum. Exercise is a must to keep the metabolism going. I also exercise 45-60 min. at night. I do aerobics every night, but spend less time on aerobics during my weight nights. (I do weights 3 times per week.) You can even exercise in front of a TV or at least during the commercials. Hope this helps.

------------------
Magpie

Old 05-20-2003, 01:40 AM   #4

mmcgraw103 HB User
Go to the thyroid section at about.com, then look at your thyroid "score." They've radically changed the "normal" range. It used to be if you tested over 6, you were hypothyroid. Now the "normal" range is between 1-3, with most people functioning best at 1-2. Also, make sure they test your T3. After having a normal score of 4.5, my psychiatrist put my on Cydomel (which boosts only the T3) to help my depression. The results were dramatic! I am actually starting to care again. Now I feel like I can tackel the 50 pound weight gain I experienced in less than 3 months. I've never before gained that much in my life, but like you, the scale just kep going up. It was scary. About.com thyroid section also lists doctors who are recommended for their knowledge of thyroid care.

Good luck!!

Old 05-23-2003, 02:10 PM   #5
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Here, Here!! Please definitely see what your last thyroid results were. I am proof that that a person with absolutely normal lab results can be hypothyroid. My TSH was 2.2 in Oct and 1.68 in April, yet I had all the symptoms, especially the weight gain, I gained about the same as you in the same time frame, yet nothing I did would get rid of it. I had also chalked it up to getting older, but an ultrasound revealed a goiter and nodule. So check to see if you have any of the other symptoms and go from there. I didn't give up, in many ways, I exercised and didn't stop dispite the fact that I saw no results, so don't give up.

Closed Thread