It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2003, 07:25 AM   #1
(male)

YoungLife HB User
Post is rice good or bad?

i eat rice about every day (im asain) , i hear its alot of carbs than i hear its good for diets, wich is true? i know it will be hard for me to stop eating rice, but i need to lose weight bad.

Old 05-23-2003, 12:58 PM   #2
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Brown rice is good for your diet because it has all of its nutrients , unlike white rice which is stripped of its nutrients and therefore isn't great for your diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2003, 10:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

I agree that brown rice is much better....

With so many Asian people eating so much rice and a low meat diet, why aren't they overweight if carbs are such a bad thing? Does anyone know? Also do these Asian people eat predominantly brown (non-processed) rice or white rice?

Old 05-24-2003, 09:02 AM   #4
(female)

keren HB User

rhody the answer to your question

asians predominantly eat white rice
however they do eat a lot of brown rice as well, these come in the form of cakes and sweet treats
but mostly when it comes down to sit down meals - it's usually white

Old 05-27-2003, 02:29 PM   #5

loller HB User
Brown rice is the way to go if you are looking to lose some weight. As previous posters have mentioned, white rise is not as good for you because it is stripped. White rice is very high in carbs and you will want to cut back on it as much as you can. White rice, being a carb, will also raise you triglycerides as well. Triclycerides is a form of blood fat. So you will want to take the advice of the previous posters.

As far as why are many asians not overweight even though they eat alot of carb? I will try and take a shot at this, please someone correctl me if I am wrong. Asians do eat alot of rice, but they also eat many vegtables and fish. Unlike us Americans that eat alot of carbs AND and lot of meat.

Old 05-28-2003, 10:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Hello Younglife, My family's half Asian. My hubby and mother-in-law always eat the traditional white rice everyday. Once in a while they will eat "Mein teo."(Noodles) Our white rice comes in 25 lbs. bags and is the "yellow" brand. I see nothing wrong with rice. Yes, the brown rice has more nutrients, since it isn't bleached. Also, we don't eat brown rice cakes that a previous poster mentioned. My mother-in-law would kill me if I brought anything "brown" home. She considered "brown" to be dirty/unclean.(Maybe that is a different Asian culture than ours.) Our mooncakes have lotus seed, black bean, yellow bean, or red bean filling in them and we don't eat them everyday. We'll have one for Chinese New Year. The "twon, twon" (A sweet desert dumpling)we make is made from glutinous/sticky white rice flour and the filling we use is black bean paste in the can. We haven't cracked the peanut filling code yet. (Do you have a recipe for the peanut filling?) We just have "twon,twon" for an occational breakfast treat. Can't eat too many of those, since there's lard in the filling. The key is how much do you eat and what else do you eat and do you exercise if you are trying to loose weight. I still beleive the most evil food, which I will admit to an occational indulgence, is restaurant or fast-food.

------------------
Magpie

Old 05-29-2003, 02:11 AM   #7

Speedgal HB User
White rice and brown rice and any other sort of rice ALL have the same amount of calories/carbs whatever. Some rice types (eg jasmine, short/long/arborio etc) differ in their glycemic index but in the end when you put it with a meal (ie meat/fish etc) it all amounts to the same! Its NO use looking at glycemic indicies of foods in isolation. IT all changes when you put it together into a meal. Protein with anything lowers its GI. You realise for example that icecream is about the lowest GI food there is!

Old 05-31-2003, 03:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Speedgal:
You realise for example that icecream is about the lowest GI food there is!
Not hardly. Meat, eggs, and cheese are.

Old 06-03-2003, 12:59 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Thumbs up

Hello, Good job Arkie! Do you think the poster could be getting G.I. mixed up with low-carbs? I found a cute little G.I. table in an article from the Harvard School of Public Health...Here it is...
Carbohydrates and the Glycemic Index

High-glycemic:

Potatoes
Bananas
White bread
White rice
French fries
Refined breakfast cereals
White spaghetti
Soft drinks
Sugar

Low-glycemic:

Most Legumes
Whole fruits
Whole Wheat, Oats, Bran
Brown rice
Bulgar, Barley
Whole grain breakfast cereals
Couscous

------------------
Magpie

Old 06-03-2003, 02:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
The glycemic index chart I have in front of me states that brown rice actually has a higher glycemic index than spaghetti. White rice is 72, brown rice is 66, and spaghetti is 50. Maybe this is one reason why rice is a common adjunct in the brewing of beer. It's almost all starch, and it quickly and efficiently converts to sugar, and then alcohol in the brewing process.

Old 06-04-2003, 09:04 AM   #11

Kasane HB User
RICE

I eat a certain type of rice the Japanese call "haiga" rice. (Literally "germ" rice.) I don't know what it's called in English, but I'd call it "beige rice", since rice names in English are usually based on the color. Haiga is halfway between white and brown rice, both in color and in many other ways.

Like white rice, it has the outer bran stripped away. It tastes almost like white rice. The difference in taste is so minute that most Americans probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart. (Flavor and aroma depend on the brand of haiga. The expensive brands are very close to white rice. But even the cheap brands are similar enough that most Americans wouldn't be able to distinguish them from white rice.) It's also soft like white rice, but has just a little bit of a bite to it (like al dente pasta). I like it much better than white rice. After eating haiga for a few years, white rice tastes a bit watery.

Like brown rice, the germ is left on the grains. Most of the minerals in brown rice are in the germ, so haiga has most of the minerals of brown rice without the strong taste, strong smell, and hard-to-chew attributes of brown rice. The areas it's lacking in is ONE of the minerals (I think magnesium?) and in fiber. Fiber is one of my interests, so that stuck out for me. Haiga has twice the fiber of white rice, but brown rice has twice the fiber of haiga rice. I'm increasing my fiber intake by eating haiga, but could increase it even more by eating brown rice. But they say that brown rice is supposed to taste bad and supposed to be hard. (I haven't tried it yet, but I will one of these days.)

The one problem with haiga or beige rice is that it has a shorter shelf life than white rice. In winter, it has a shelf life of a month, and only a couple weeks in summer. (But back in the U.S., my family leaves rice sitting around for years and eating old rice never hurt us. It's possible that maybe the Japanese are just fussier about rice freshness. I don't know.)

If you do try brown rice, I recommend the new type that the Japanese call "hatsuga". I don't know what that's called in English either. But anyways, it's brown rice that's been soaked in water for a little bit until the germ starts to sprout. Then they package it up and send it to the stores. That has a lot of extra minerals in it or something. (As a matter of fact, I think my nutritional comparisons on beige rice and brown rice might be based on hatsuga brown rice. I don't feel like looking it up right now.)

Old 06-04-2003, 09:43 AM   #12

Kasane HB User
CARBS

As far as carbs, I kinda wonder if maybe us Americans are too obsessed with carbs nowadays.

I mean, look at our ancestors. The people of almost every culture throughout the world had some type of carb as a staple in their diets: rice, pasta, breads, or yams/potatoes. The fact that carbs have played a main role in the diets of people all over the world---even though vastly different types of carbs---makes me wonder if some natural instict drove our ancestors to crave them. Non-domesticated animals are supposed to be able to sense if a food is nutritious or poisonous. Wouldn't our more primitive ancestors have had that same sense? There must be something good about carbs. But maybe not.

So I think about myself. My husband and I recently switched to a traditional Japanese diet a little over a month ago, and it's working really great. But sometimes I wonder if all this rice is fattening because of the carbohydrates. (And the popularity of the Atkins diet and the faith of its loyal followers.) But a couple weeks ago I read an article in a Japanese nutrition magazine about the importance of carbs. They said it was important for both energy, and for appetite suppression. They said that people who don't take in enough carbs get hungry too often, and wind up snacking throughout the whole day all day long, instead of 3 balanced meals. Their body doesn't get the sense of satisfaction it gets from carbs. Plus the continous snacking is hard on the digestive system or something. I don't know if that's true. But I'm tempted to believe it. Since we started eating rice every day, I have less interest in sweets and other snacks. I also seem to get full faster. I used to get hungry all the time, and always got the munchies. I don't now. But I'm also tempted to think that might be from getting more exercise. But I read about it in a nutrition magazine, so the possibility that it could be the rice has occured to me.

And a couple days ago hubby said something interesting. He was talking about differences in a few types of Japanese pasta, and it eventually led to a discussion about how certain types of carbs faster or slower than others, and how this affects appetite. He mentioned that rice takes longer to digest than most carbs. Then I blended that with the info from that nutrition magazine, and it all made sense. It seemed like rice really is an appetite balancer or something.

Is it possible that eating rice makes me less interested in eating in general? Or might it be from the fish, veggies, exercise, or something else? I don't know. My suspicions are either the exercise or the rice. (Or perhaps a combination.)

Old 06-05-2003, 02:37 AM   #13

Speedgal HB User
No, the poster does NOT have GI and low carbs mixed up. The last I saw, ice cream had a GI of about 32. Yes I know protein foods like meat are low but despite the amount of sugar and all the bad stuff in iceream it does have a low GI and people have been known to lose weight on icecream!

Old 06-06-2003, 05:40 PM   #14

chemicaldreamer HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by rhody:
I agree that brown rice is much better....

With so many Asian people eating so much rice and a low meat diet, why aren't they overweight if carbs are such a bad thing? Does anyone know? Also do these Asian people eat predominantly brown (non-processed) rice or white rice?
Because they also eat very little fat and protein as well. A 16oz steak is a meal for an average American, but a 16oz steak is cut and made into a dish for 6 if they make it into a Chinese dish.

High carb is fine, as long as you're eating low fat and protein (in relation to weight and fat gain that is... high carb has other issues such as diabetes.

Old 06-07-2003, 06:19 AM   #15
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Never confuse Glycemic INDEX with Glycemic Load.
Glycemic index measures the blood glucose raising effect of a given quantity of carbs.
Glycemic load is the Glycemic Index TIMES the amount of carbs.

Thus a teaspoon of a high glycemic index sugar has a much smaller effect (Glycemic Load) than a POUND of very low index beans.

PS....White rice can't be that bad if half the world eats it daily and that's the half WITHOUT the obesity, diabetes and heart disease epidemics.

[This message has been edited by zip2play (edited 06-07-2003).]

Closed Thread