It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2003, 11:48 AM   #1

Rrricola HB User
Question Raw Food Diet - Anyone?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone is doing the raw food diet, also called in-the-raw and other names. I read that Demi Moore eats only raw foods and that is how she lost weight and looks so much younger and better than she ever did. I read only a small bit online about it, but I was curious if anyone out there eats only raw foods (non-cooked or processed in any way) and how they like their new lifestyle. Is it difficult? Did you notice a major change in your energy level? Weight? Any details and/or sample menus would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Old 06-27-2003, 08:38 PM   #2
(female)

VeggieGirl HB User
There's a recent thread about this, if you haven't seen it yet:
[url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum38/HTML/001629.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum38/HTML/001629.html[/url]

Let me mention also that there are MANY different schools of thought on raw foodism, depending on which raw-food "guru" you listen to. Dr. Doug Graham, for instance, advises a low-fat, raw vegan lifestyle, divided about 80% carbohydrate, 10% protein, and 10% fat (that's about 1/4 of an avocado a day, along with fruits and greens). He claims that any more fat than that will set you up for failure on the raw food diet. Others, though, like David Wolfe, preach a diet dominated by avocados and nuts, equaling about 50-80% fat. Others yet believe that raw animal meat and dairy belongs on the diet. Some allow sprouted grains to be consumed, while others say any grains should be avoided. "Mono meals" is another trend, in which raw foodists eat only one type of food per meal. Some people will eat upwards of 15 bananas in one sitting for breakfast, for example.
Depending on which school of thought you adhere to, your results on this diet would vary.

But to address your specific questions:
-Is it difficult?
I haven't maintained a raw food diet long-term, but from the experimenting I've done with it, I'll say generally yes. Socially, it is very hard, if you're aiming to be 100% raw; imagine all the dinner invitations and parties you'd have to decline due to food limitations. Social isolation is commonly reported among the raw foodists. Some people also get intense cravings and go through "detox" (a non-scientifically-documented phase in which the body supposedly dumps toxins into the blood, causing extreme fatigue, headaches, nausea, hair loss, flu symptoms--you name it). Personally, in my times on the diet, my teeth started to hurt from eating exessive sweet fruit.
But on the other hand, clean up is a breeze. All you have to do is throw away the banana peel or apple core. And, if you don't try to make fancy raw food meals (which most people advise against), preparation is also simple--no cooking or messy dishes involved.

-Did you notice a major change in your energy level?
Speaking for myself, my energy fluctuated a lot. It is very, very difficult to eat enough calories when your diet is 80% fruit and vegetables. At some times, I would be absolutely giddy with energy; other times, I could barely pull myself off the couch. It may have been sugar "highs" and "lows."
Most people, though, report a significant energy improvement. This could be due to the fact that the energy once spent digesting heavy meals is now free for other uses.

Weight?
My weight dropped--too low. Way too low. It is the reason I had to start eating more cooked foods. Most people report effortless weight loss, even if they eat more calories than they did on cooked foods. Many raw foodists see this as a benefit, but often times it can lead to emanciation. Tom Billings, for instance, was a former "fruitarian" (a branch of raw foodism), and at 6'1", his weight at one time dropped to 88 pounds on the diet.

Just a few more comments--if you're really interested in pursuing this diet, I suggest you do some research and look for unbiased sources. Unfortunately, there is a lot of pseudo-science and propaganda floating around in cyberspace, as well as many raw food gurus who try to push supplements to make some money. Whenever you see someone promising that this diet is "magical" and that you will receive perfect health, a perfect body, etc., run the other way! Just like any diet industry, people often have their own interests in mind and will gloss over the truth if it will make themselves (and their products) look better.

In my opinion, sustaining a 100% raw food diet for a long time is next to impossible. I personally recommend a diet with 60-80% raw food, and the rest cooked (but still healthy)--I'm finding this ratio is optimal for myself. When I eat a lot of fruit (necessary in the raw diet), I get sugar highs and lows, my teeth hurt, and I lose too much weight. Balancing this out with the occasional cooked item really helps.

Sorry this was so long. I wish you the best of luck, and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask
-VeggieGirl

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 06-28-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2003, 03:41 AM   #3
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
VeggieGirl,

I was wondering why your teeth would hurt after eating sweet fruit? I am curious what is going on there....

I also agree with you about adding cooled food to any raw diet. I am trying to follow the Hallelujah diet more or less, which is about 85% raw, 15% cooked, although my own daily diet will fluctuate from this, sometimes I am all raw and sometimes only 50% or so...

Old 06-29-2003, 06:51 AM   #4

MrAlan HB User
Rrricola,

I don't believe Demi is "coming clean" with us about everything either. I heard her say (I believe on Letterman) that she eats burgers and fries whenever she wants. She also stated she rarely exercises.

Old 06-30-2003, 08:51 AM   #5

Rrricola HB User
Hi everyone, thanks for replying. I'll need to check out the other thread when I have a chance... thanks for all the info veggiegirl, I will check out more online sources to get some more info. I really like the idea of adding some cooked foods to the diet.

Did anyone see "Sex & the City" last night? The ladies went to a raw food restaurant and hated every second of it...

Old 06-30-2003, 11:40 AM   #6
Inactive

JoJo1972 HB User
Rrricola...I saw it! They had pizza afterwards!!! LOL! I love that show! Good luck if you try it.

JoJo

Old 07-02-2003, 04:43 PM   #7

chopstix_gal HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by MrAlan:
Rrricola,

I don't believe Demi is "coming clean" with us about everything either. I heard her say (I believe on Letterman) that she eats burgers and fries whenever she wants. She also stated she rarely exercises.

lol , i think many celebs want the public to think they are "naturally" beautiful. why don't they own up to all the products, money, surgery they spend to look good, who knows. demi does look beautiful but i wouldn't believe for a second that it's because of her new raw food diet.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:20 AM   #8
(male)

minded HB User
Re: Raw Food Diet - Anyone?

I have a problem with my stomach . I go to the toilet after 20 minutes i eat cooked food , feel tired , bloated & my life was going down the drain . I can honestly say that eating fruits / nuts & vegetables gave me a 100 % boost on my life . I am 21 year old male & the past few months have been amazing for me . Never depressed / tired / sad / etc ... I was the total opposite in the past . I am not saying this is the best diet for everyone but since there was no cure or help for my problems , raw food really helped . Eating raw makes me think of things i never thought of before . If i wrote this in the past i would be crying coz i was totally sick , im not saying that im happy with what i go through but now i have this will power now that i dont know where it came from . I read somewhere that the greatest people on earth ate raw or was fruitarians . I read Steve Jobs - the guy who started apple was a fruitarian when he first started Apple , i think he is a vegan now . Just a couple of words from me

Take care peeps !

Old 08-18-2005, 05:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Trouble with a completely RAW food diet is that it's apt to be sorely short of protein. The main reason is that them major vegan protein source, legumes (beans, peas and lentils,) must be cooked to be edible.
Eliminating this class of food is apt to result in severe protein deficiency...unless, of course, one is eating raw fish, raw meat or raw eggs...which isn't the world's best idea!

Last edited by Lenin; 08-18-2005 at 05:37 AM.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Trouble with a completely RAW food diet is that it's apt to be sorely short of protein. The main reason is that them major vegan protein source, legumes (beans, peas and lentils,) must be cooked to be edible.
Eliminating this class of food is apt to result in severe protein deficiency...unless, of course, one is eating raw fish, raw meat or raw eggs...which isn't the world's best idea!

Good points, Lenin!

--Rheanna

Closed Thread