It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2003, 07:27 AM   #1
Inactive

CCmakes3 HB User
Post Green tea?

Anyone try green tea supplements to lose weight? I've been thinking about trying it but I'm concerned about articles stating that a lot of supplements don't contain the right "active ingredients." Anyone know of a good brand or what to look for on the label?

Old 07-31-2003, 06:32 PM   #2

susiejb HB User
Thumbs up

CCmakes3, it just so happens I was just reading an article written by an Md who is author to several womens' health books. I pulled out this exerpt for you and shortened it a little. Hope it helps.

*Along with its antioxidant and cancer-prevention properties, green tea can help you burn calories. It contains special chemicals called catechins which appear to protect a brain chemical related to metabolism. The higher your levels of this brain chemical, the greater your metabolism is and the faster you burn calories.

One cup of brewed green tea contains about 100 mg of catechins. To reap the full benefit of green tea, consume at least three 8oz cups daily (to provide roughly 240-320 mg of catechins). If you perfer not to drink the tea, either of these options provides the same level of protection: 1) 300-400 mg daily of green tea extract, standardized to 80% catechins and at least 50% epigallocatechin (EGCG). This extract is not always caffeine-free; check the label. 2) 100 mg of green tea catechins, taken three times daily. This product is caffeine-free.

------------------
Susie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 07:05 PM   #3

san HB User
There is also a new multivitamin out called One a Day WEIGHTSMART that is supposed to have a mix of green tea, etc. in it, plus extra B vitamins. Mostly I think for those dieting or whatever to help aid in weight loss. I just found it interesting that it includes the tea thing. :-)

Old 08-01-2003, 05:34 AM   #4

san HB User
Thumbs up

Me again :-)
I ended buying one this morning...walmart had a great deal on a bonus bottle. It Is One A Day Weightsmart multivitamin. It says it includes 27mg EGCG (from Green Tea extract, Camilla sinensis leaf) Also, most of the B vitamins are at 125% interesting.?

Old 08-01-2003, 08:31 AM   #5
Inactive

CCmakes3 HB User
Very interesting and very helpful! Thanks, guys!

Closed Thread