It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

Fallon_C HB User
Question Has anyone tried the Atkins Diet?, if so, what were you results?

I'm actually quite interested in doing the Atkins Diet but kinda leery about it as well. One of my friends has had great results from it so I was thinking about trying it. I gained quite a bit of weight when I was pregnant with my son (who is now 2 years old) but I just haven't been able to take the weight off. I'm feeling very depressed about my weight so I really am looking for a diet that will give me good results, even maybe quick results even if it's not the Atkins Diet PLEASE let me know what has worked for you so I can try it.

Thanks so much!!

Fallon

Old 09-15-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
(male)

StoneTemple HB User
Re: Has anyone tried the Atkins Diet?, if so, what were you results?

Is that a low carb diet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
(female)

Fallon_C HB User

Atkins Diet is the low-carb diet.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
(male)

StoneTemple HB User

I work as a lifeguard at a health club and this woman was telling me how she tried a low crab diet and she did not like it at all, she was on a diet then she tryed a low crab one and it really messed up they way she ate and she ending up gaining more weight.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
(male)

StoneTemple HB User

If you don't eat enogh crabs you won't have enough energy to do anything and you might end up gaining more pounds. I think.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:06 AM   #6
(female)

stacyann37 HB User

I was on the atkins low carb diet and lost 30 pounds in less than 3 months. The key is to drink LOTS of water and to eat the right amount of carbs, not to many not to few. I had alot of energy, and after 3 days did not crave any sugar at all. I just recently cut back on low carb and switched to low fat as my cholesterol went up from low car abd all the meat, cheese, eggs that you are supposed to eat...good luck, i liked it and am glad i did it,.,.,.

Old 09-16-2005, 05:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I did Atkins for nearly two years. My conclusion is that all that fat on a day to day basis is dangerous to the arteries of your heart.

If losing weight and increasing the risk of heart disease are your goals, this is the diet for you.

Old 09-16-2005, 06:13 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
Exclamation Re: Has anyone tried the Atkins Diet?, if so, what were you results?

My husband did the atkins diet a few years ago. He lost almost 30 pounds, but his breath smelled like rotten bologna ALL THE TIME! And when he went to the bathroom.........oh my goodness! Somebody call Hazmat! When he went off the diet, the pounds came back. He's gained about 50 lbs since then. It's not a healthy way to eat. Better to eat a good variety and eat less at each meal. I eat about 6 times a day now. No kidding! I'm losing weight and I don't even feel like I'm trying. My husband eats three times a day. A big breakfast, a big lunch, and an even bigger dinner. I did the same thing before I started eating more often. Now when it's meal time, I don't need much. Never feel like I'm starving. I take things to work with me like grapes, cheese, crackers, whatever I have available. I just nibble on them throughout the day. I have more energy too! If you want to lose the weight (and keep it off), that's the way to go.

Old 09-16-2005, 06:16 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

"Low carb diet" covers many different kinds of eating plans, so it is best to be somewhat specific.

Many people have had great success with Atkins. In the beginning stages, carb intake is very low. IMHO, it is better to start with a less drastic approach (like South Beach, Protein Power, etc.), but others maintain it was necessary for them. Also, to be successful, one must approach it was a life-style change committed to eating lower carb.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:56 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

I do Atkins and I have been on this way of eating for over a year. I have met many many people who have been on this way of eating for years and years. One woman recently posted on a low carb website I am a member of that she has been on Atkins and went from 310 pounds to a healthy 143 and kept it off. Another woman who also has been on this way of eating for 5 years and recently one of her family members needed a kidney transplant. She went into see if she was a match. The Doctor in charge of this said her cholesterol levels, and such were the healthiest he has seen in a long time. He asked her what her diet was and she said I do Atkins. He said, that is the best diet for health. We see more people who faithfully follow this way of eating and their cholesterol levels and triglicerides are perfect as is their blood pressure and blood sugar levels. He told her that high carbs are extremely bad for your health.

Ok to clear up a misconception. Atkins and low carb is not NO carbs for goodness sake. Low carbs are just that low not NO. I do not eat high carbs which basically breaks down to white things. No white bread, sugar, white potatoes, white rice etc. Or things with high sugar content.

Ok if you went on any diet to lose weight in the world you would gain it back if you stopped. So wisdom would say if you stopped eating the low carb way you gain it back and that's a fact. So the low carb lifestyle can never be approached with I will go on it to lose the weight then go off of it. Big mistake! You have to change your mindset and way of thinking. You must get to the point that eating the old way is just not worth it.

I was 160 and now weigh 107 and my husband was 270 and now weighs 200 pounds and we look great, feel great and eat like pigs. LOL! Never count calories, or limit fat intake. Just eat till we are full and sometimes fuller. It just depends on what you choose to eat. Remember we are no longer on induction but the next steps.

Get the Atkins book first before you start and read read read.

Anita

Old 09-16-2005, 07:59 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiepls
My husband did the atkins diet a few years ago. He lost almost 30 pounds, but his breath smelled like rotten bologna ALL THE TIME! And when he went to the bathroom.........oh my goodness! Somebody call Hazmat!
This is called Ketosis and means your burning the fat in your body. Why is that a bad thing. Any diet stops working if you go off of it. What is not healthy about just not eating sugar, bread etc and eating plenty of veges.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:29 AM   #12
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

Yes, I am on the Atkins plan now, it will be 2 years next month. It is working ideally for my husband and me. We feel great and look great. The Atkins Diet is easy to follow and easy to control how much weight loss is desired. I cleared it with my doctors (Gyn, urologist and endocrinologist). Just last month, I had an EKG and fasting blood test for cholesterol and triglycerides. All my numbers are just great. None of my doctors felt adversely to my being on the low-carb diet, nor did they issue any warnings.

We purchased the Atkins book and cookbook and followed them as described. Before we bought the books, when I spoke to people who thought they were on Atkins, we got alot of misleading information. We have completely changed our ways of eating, as far as limiting intake of carbs.

AnitaK gave a very good explanation of the diet. It's true, Atkins does not mean "no-carb". You simply count carbs rather than calories, although calories are important. There is no diet which permits unlimited calories.

When you've followed the diet long enough to lose the desired amount of weight, you add in low-to-moderate amounts of carbs. Occasional splurges or enjoying delicious dinners with family and friends are not a problem and do not interefere with your weight loss or maintenance if done with discretion.

You'll hear lots of nay-sayers discouraging you from participating in the Atkins Plan. It's probably because they were never doing the diet correctly and were not disciplined enough to stick with it.

I've adopted the low-carb lifestyle for the long-term. I like the lean, toned bodies I see in my husband and myself. It's fun doing it together, too! We're both excited about feeling and looking healthy.

I'd say to do it for 3 to 6 months, and you be the judge. If you need help, advice or encouragement, please let us help you.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:18 PM   #13
(female)

Fallon_C HB User

AllysHeart:

Thank you so much for your information. I really think that I will give this diet a try. I'm pretty desperate so I really need to just do this, but my only problem is is getting motivated. I just always say I'm going to stick with a certain diet but I just never do. Have any suggestions? Anyone??

Old 09-16-2005, 10:42 PM   #14
(male)

abca HB User

I still would not agree to go on this diet. Maybe their are weight loss for some people but what works for one isn't going to work for another. Also if your constantly eating meat and low carb foods, how can that be healthy with all that animal fat you are consuming? thats got to raise your risk significantly for heart attacks and heart related problems. Also you just might want to cut back on your simple carbs and focus more on consuming complex carbs. I'm not sure I could tell you how to motivate yourself maybe set up pics on your fridge of times you were thinner, set a weigh loss goal. And don't weigh yourself every day, thats probably the most important advice. Your weight fluctuates depending on what time of the day it is, so you could be up a couple punds in a day and get depressed and drop off of it, try weighing yourself every week and a half to 2 weeks. And also believe that you can do it, if you don't think that your going to lose weight you probably wont and if you think your getting fat you may pack on more punds due to your body's RAS. Anyways just try to stay posotive and always think you can do it

Old 09-16-2005, 10:49 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

your not just eating massive amounts of meat and you can eat lean mean like chicken...I've been on this diet for just over a month and im down about 15lbs (first diet to work for me and i thought i'd never last on it) I eat a ton of veggies now like lettuce, green peppers tomatos mushrooms, i know i cant over do them but veggies are great for you.

When I eat meats it's anything from chicken, steak, ham or bacon, any meat. The leaner the better right! Cheese i put on my salads. And I have found some low carb bars that taste great! I use low carb tortillas to make small quesidillas or mini pizzas so to speak. All of which are good. I'll make scrambled eggs or omlets for breakfast! I eat some decent food on this diet!

I can eat till im full with the salads! And most dressing have little to know carbs if you shop around! If i have a craving for sugar i have a diet soda, one of those low-carb bars i mentioned or something of that nature.

Dont forget the vitamins if you start this diet. Clacium magnesium and zinc. If you dont your body wont "function" properly. I have gotten a lot of useful information off of this board so best of luck. Any diet is worth a try and just like any diet if you stop dieting the weight is bound to come back...

Closed Thread