It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 05:13 PM   #1
(female)

Mudiefeets HB User
Question Dietary Supplement Stevia

Has anyone ever heard of the dietary supplement Stevia having any side-effects? I use it regularly and have read many internet articles claiming that there has never been a single case of human toxicity or side-effects from it, yet the bottle I have says to not exceed 8 tables in a 24-hour period. For what reason then?

On top of that, if anyone has heard of side-effects from regular use, do any of those specifically include the kidneys?

Last edited by Mudiefeets; 09-21-2005 at 12:51 PM.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Dietary Supplement Stevia

It's VERY pricey. It cannot legally be marked as a sweetner in the U.S. because the manufacturers refuse to do the testing to prove it safe as a foood additive.
Thus it is sold as a "supplement" which requires no proof of safety or efficacy.

I tasted it once...I found it somewhat unpleasant tasting.

Try it for yourself. That's probably the best way for you to decide whether it's worth the expense. I'm sure it's safe.

Last edited by Lenin; 09-21-2005 at 06:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2005, 06:33 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB Usercookiepls HB User
Re: Dietary Supplement Stevia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudiefeets
Has anyone ever heard of the dietary supplement Stevia having any side-effects? I have read many internet articles claiming that there has never been a ingle case of human toxicity or side-effects from it, yet the bottle I have says to not exceed 8 tables in a 24-hour period. For what reason then?

On top of that, if anyone has heard of side-effects from regular use, do any of those specifically include the kidneys?
It's been used for centuries in China to sweeten tea, etc. I read up on Stevia a while back and bought some from GNC. It was the liquid kind. I don't reccommend it (the liquid). It tastes kind of strong (like black licorice). They do have it in a powder form that's supposed to be flavorless, but I haven't tried that yet, although I do plan to. As for why the label says do not exceed 8 tablets in a 24-hour period...well, almost every supplement gives some kind of warning even when it's perfectly safe when used as directed. They're just protecting themselves from the few idiots that will over-indulge, make themselves sick, and want to sue. If you read some more internet articles, you'll discover the history of stevia and how the FDA was pressured by some other industries who would stand to lose a substantial market share of their sweeteners to stevia. It's all about profit in this country.

Closed Thread