It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2003, 03:52 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 72
beebop_71 HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa18
The reason you are getting headaches is because your body needs carbs.This is what your brain and nervous system runs on.Your brain needs carbs and it needs alot more than the atkins diet allows you to consume.When there is a lack of carbs in the body the brain needs to figure out a plan to get energy otherwise it will shut down and then your brain dead.So when you start consuming all that protein(which kills your kidneys by the way) and not carbs it needs to take fat and start converting into something called ketones and uses this as energy and is excreted through the urine.This may sound ideal the fact that your brain is burning fat for you but ketosis is not meant to be a lifestyle its meant for extreme situations like starvation but along with that fat it will eventually burn muscle and leech calcium making bones brittle not to mention the high cholesterol and other health related problems with atkins.I would reccomend you go off this diet right away for your own well being.If you need advice ask.I lost 45lbs on a high carb diet.
Actually a LC diet lowers triglycerides and cholesterol in most people. When on Atkins or Protein Power, you limit the carbs to 20-30 per day the first 2 weeks. After that carbs are added back in until you reach a gaining point. That is how you know your limit to acheive the weight loss. It is really helpful to read one of the books so that you understand how this way of eating actually works.

Protein builds muscle. And the brain needs good fats and oils. When on a LC diet, we don't eat just protein. However, I do believe that some people do it wrong, which is where the bad hype comes in.

After 5 years of low carbing, my brain and muscles are just fine, thankyouverymuch.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-01-2003, 07:15 PM   #17
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Posts: 42
magicmom HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

It always amazes me how people love to give their "opinions ". Obvioulsy you have not read the Atkins book, and know nothing about the fact that this is a "lifestyle change" and not a diet. We eat enough good carbs, and still lose weight. The maintenance phase allows for even more good carbs. It is a much healthier way of eating than the high carb diets. You don't get the blood sugar spikes, hunger pangs, and cravings because you keep your blood sugar consistent. It works better in the long run for me and many others.

Please learn more about what you are saying. You are trying to discourage people from eating healthy and making a lifestyle change for the better. People need to do what's right for them, and Atkins is right for alot of people.


Last edited by magicmom; 12-01-2003 at 07:16 PM.

 
Old 12-01-2003, 07:34 PM   #18
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 207
junkbondtrader HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

magicmom- i'm not trying to be an antagonist here, but i'd like to say that i'm taking a nutrition class this semester from a registered dietician and nutritionist with 25 years experience and her own private practice, and our last lecture was entirely on carbohydrates. she basically said almost exactly word for word what nsa18 posted here, and explained why the production of ketone bodies (i.e. ketosis) in the absence of sufficient carbs for brain and nervous function (as in the case of the atkins diet) is dangerous. she's certainly been familiar with the atkins plan for a long long time, and keeps current, and basically said that yes, you will lose weight, but if you stick with this diet you'll wreck your body and eventually quite probably end up being one of the majority of americans who die of heart disease.
that's not to say a high carbohydrate diet is a great idea, but just that you really do need a moderate amount of carbohydrates to nourish yourself (esp. your brain) properly- it's the only real source of energy for the brain.
so before you knock his post as an "opinion" and get all snide, maybe you should consider that someone (lots of someones, in fact) other than dr. atkins might know what they're talking about.

 
Old 12-01-2003, 07:41 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 289
Hamer HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

Amen. Well said, junkbondtrader.

 
Old 12-01-2003, 11:28 PM   #20
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Posts: 42
magicmom HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

Atkins dieters do eat a moderate amount of carbs daily. There have been many studies done on Atkins. There is no scientific proof of any of the things you say Atkins does. You misunderstand the diet. There are plenty of good carbs, fruits and vegetables in the eating plan. You really should read the book before making judgements on something you don't know much about.

 
Old 12-02-2003, 03:19 AM   #21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 16
nsa18 HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

Thanks junkbondtrader for sticking up for me and the right diet. Yes i am aware that atkins lets you eat fruit but only certain ones like berries. Is there anyone so ignorant out there that they think other fruit is bad for you?? I am also aware that atkins allows carbs but this amount is not nearly enough for what your body needs. Just the fact that as soon as people start the atkins diet they get constipated should tell you that its not a healthy diet. As long as the bowels dont move with ease your not healthy and you cant convince me otherwise. I use to be 185 lbs and i am 5'7". I cut out all animal products and i lost close to 50lbs. Atkins dieters have been brainwashed. I am not saying that all carbs are good.Certainly no one should sit down with a bag of sugar and start eating it by the spoonful. Heres is what my diet consists of
Breakfast

1 Banana
4 slices of whole wheat bread (Just whole wheat flour and water)
3 servings of shredded wheat cereal dipped in honey with pure maple syrup(not the kind with stuff added)
1 bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon added and untoasted wheat germ added and mollasses added.

Lunch
Fruits

Snacking
Raisins
sunflower seeds
oranges
Chestnuts,other nuts
Pineapple

Dinner

Vegetables, carrots, peas, corn, kale
tahini
Beans, lentils etc..

On this kind of diet i have lost my excess weight and have been mantaining it for a few years now.Anyone have a problem with this diet?I get all my vitamins in this diet.

 
Old 12-02-2003, 07:54 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,383
auntjudyg HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

If it works for you nsa, that's great. I don't see that anyone is having any kind of problem with the diet that works for you. Why are you having such a problem with what other people find works for them?

I used to following a high carb, quasi vegetarian plan . . . with the underlying philosophy of peace on earth, love your fellow creatures, blah, blah, blah. What I have found really fascinating since increasing protein (from animal sources primarily) is that I feel better about myself and as a result feel much more benevolent and tolerant of others. I celebrate others finding the correct path for them, even if it does not reflect exactly what I do.

Last edited by auntjudyg; 12-02-2003 at 10:45 AM.

 
Old 12-02-2003, 07:57 AM   #23
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 24
moreen83 HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

I was on the South Beach Diet and during the entire first week I woke up and went to bed with headaches. So I know how you feel. Once I started eating carbs again and just eating healthier, instead of dieting, my headaches disappeared.

 
Old 12-02-2003, 11:48 AM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 53
RMiller HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa18
Thanks junkbondtrader for sticking up for me and the right diet. Yes i am aware that atkins lets you eat fruit but only certain ones like berries. Is there anyone so ignorant out there that they think other fruit is bad for you?? I am also aware that atkins allows carbs but this amount is not nearly enough for what your body needs. Just the fact that as soon as people start the atkins diet they get constipated should tell you that its not a healthy diet. As long as the bowels dont move with ease your not healthy and you cant convince me otherwise. I use to be 185 lbs and i am 5'7". I cut out all animal products and i lost close to 50lbs. Atkins dieters have been brainwashed. I am not saying that all carbs are good.Certainly no one should sit down with a bag of sugar and start eating it by the spoonful. Heres is what my diet consists of
Breakfast

1 Banana
4 slices of whole wheat bread (Just whole wheat flour and water)
3 servings of shredded wheat cereal dipped in honey with pure maple syrup(not the kind with stuff added)
1 bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon added and untoasted wheat germ added and mollasses added.

Lunch
Fruits

Snacking
Raisins
sunflower seeds
oranges
Chestnuts,other nuts
Pineapple

Dinner

Vegetables, carrots, peas, corn, kale
tahini
Beans, lentils etc..

On this kind of diet i have lost my excess weight and have been mantaining it for a few years now.Anyone have a problem with this diet?I get all my vitamins in this diet.

I see no meats on this plan so I will assume you are a vegan.

What is your blood glucose level...say an hour after a meal?
Have you ever had blood lipid profile done?
If so, what is your triglyceride level?
Total cholesterol is not a good indicator of overall susceptability to heart disease, so what is your cholesterol ratio?
Do you supplement to acquire B12?

Last edited by RMiller; 12-02-2003 at 11:48 AM.

 
Old 12-02-2003, 12:00 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 72
beebop_71 HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

[QUOTE=nsa18]Thanks junkbondtrader for sticking up for me and the right diet. Yes i am aware that atkins lets you eat fruit but only certain ones like berries. Is there anyone so ignorant out there that they think other fruit is bad for you?? I am also aware that atkins allows carbs but this amount is not nearly enough for what your body needs. Just the fact that as soon as people start the atkins diet they get constipated should tell you that its not a healthy diet. As long as the bowels dont move with ease your not healthy and you cant convince me otherwise. QUOTE]

As long as there is adequate water intake, plenty of veggies, flax cereal and maybe a little fruit daily, there should not be a constipation problem. I find my problem to be the opposite, if I eat breads and the like. In fact, I was bound up for days after Thanksgiving because I ate "normal" for that one day. Not worth it to me.

BTW, I do agree with you that frequent bowel movements ae essential for good health.

 
Old 12-02-2003, 04:05 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 289
Hamer HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

I pretty much only eat fruits, veggies, whole-grains and meat occasionally and I couldn't be more regular. Fiber is your friend, and I'm sure most people on atkins do not get enough of it. I had horrible headeaches when I was on atkins a couple years ago and I was constipated, I felt dizzy, I couldnt concentrate and I had no energy whatsoever. That is no way to live! Now, I am always full of energy, I like to exercise and I stay the same weight (I even lost a few pounds) without even trying.

 
Old 12-02-2003, 04:39 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 72
beebop_71 HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer
I pretty much only eat fruits, veggies, whole-grains and meat occasionally and I couldn't be more regular. Fiber is your friend, and I'm sure most people on atkins do not get enough of it. I had horrible headeaches when I was on atkins a couple years ago and I was constipated, I felt dizzy, I couldnt concentrate and I had no energy whatsoever. That is no way to live! Now, I am always full of energy, I like to exercise and I stay the same weight (I even lost a few pounds) without even trying.
What you eat, though, is very similar to a low carb maintenance plan. You need to realize that some people cannot handle a ton of carbs. Hypoglycemics and diabetics do much better on a low carb diet. I do not get the spikes and crashes on a low carb plan like I do otherwise. What you eat seems to work great for you, but you can't knock what works for someone else. Just as you didn't like what you felt on the Atkins plan, I do not like the dizziness and nausea I get from eating all those carbs. I still eat adequate amounts of protein, some fruits, lots of salad and spinach and other veggies, nuts,flax meal,dairy, sometimes some brown rice or homemade whole wheat bread. I drink 100 oz of water a day, whereas before I low carbed, I rarely drank water. I do not feel my diet is lacking. In fact, I eat more veggies and whole foods than I ever did before low carbing.

 
Old 12-02-2003, 08:07 PM   #28
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 207
junkbondtrader HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

If someone is checking for ketone bodies in their urine as a sign of progress on a low carb diet, that means they are striving for ketosis, which by definition means consumption of insufficient carbohydrates for the brain and nervous system.


Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmom
Atkins dieters do eat a moderate amount of carbs daily. There have been many studies done on Atkins. There is no scientific proof of any of the things you say Atkins does. You misunderstand the diet. There are plenty of good carbs, fruits and vegetables in the eating plan. You really should read the book before making judgements on something you don't know much about.

 
Old 12-03-2003, 09:26 AM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 72
beebop_71 HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkbondtrader
If someone is checking for ketone bodies in their urine as a sign of progress on a low carb diet, that means they are striving for ketosis, which by definition means consumption of insufficient carbohydrates for the brain and nervous system.
I do not personally check my urine for ketones. Ketone strips are unreliable and there other ways to tell if you are going into ketosis. I can tell by nausea.

You CAN lose weight without being in ketosis. Many people do, including myself.

 
Old 12-03-2003, 09:41 AM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 72
beebop_71 HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

Thank you for that post. Everyone seems to get their panties in a wad over ketosis. Since the dawn of time people have existed on berries, nuts, meats and plants. Obviously it worked, as we are all here.

Doesn't anyone realize that the USDA food pyramid was developed and promoted by......those who have a vested interest in agriculture? Big money is involved and the masses are being fed information that promotes agriculture. Look at the statistics for diabetes, heart disease, etc, as you stated compared to what most people eat and it has to be obvious. Low fat diets are as dangerous as eating McD's every day.The body needs good fats for the immune system, brain function, etc. Sugar feeds cancer, and *I* believe that low carb can help prevent the growth of cancer cells. It helps prevent and control diabetes. It lowers the bad cholesterol levels. Fat does not cause heart disease, the continuous spikes and drops in glucose levels do.

There is a reason that our society is bogged down by obesity and dieases. Considering low carb hasn't been popular in the last 50 years, I do not believe that this way of eating is as detrimental as most of the medical establishment would have us believe.

Last edited by beebop_71; 12-03-2003 at 09:43 AM.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Starting Atkins and question about crystal light mix tattoogirl Weight Loss 28 06-19-2006 12:30 PM
Question about Atkins Diet........? CaliGirl19 Weight Loss 10 04-19-2006 01:54 PM
atkins diet scottie_81 Weight Loss 8 01-06-2006 10:42 AM
is the atkins diet safe Korn Diet & Nutrition 162 04-28-2004 09:37 PM
Transition from Atkins to 'normal' low caloric/low fat/ exercise regime? Charlie_Murphy Diet & Nutrition 38 03-12-2004 08:52 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:35 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!