It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2003, 06:45 PM   #1

gcol51 HB User
Post Atkins and headache?

I am wondering if any of you on the Atkins diet are having headaches . I have been on it for 5 days, and for the last 3 days, I have been waking up with a severe headache. Does this sound familiar to any of you? I need to know what to do about it, if anything. Other than that, I have been doing beautifully on this diet. Best I ever tried! Thanks, Gail

Old 10-04-2003, 07:59 AM   #2

Shane S HB User
This is common for low carb diets. It's possible they're related to caffeiene withdrawal. What changes have you made in your caffeine intake? You may also need more water. As you add more carbs, that will also help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2003, 03:49 AM   #3

Mattsmummum HB User
The headaches usually go away after a week or so.

Old 10-07-2003, 08:06 AM   #4

Jazzmyn HB User
hello, my name is gail also and i am on the atkins diet for the most part. i cheat a little on the weekends but anyway i have had a headache for a week now. i am also trying to quit taking xanax a little at a time so i was trying to figure out which one gave me the headache. maybe both. thanks for letting me know someone else is having this problem. gail

Old 10-07-2003, 06:14 PM   #5

maskbloom HB User
This is just my second day on the diet and I also have been having horrible headaches.

Old 10-07-2003, 08:24 PM   #6

Shane S HB User
It's possible that either (or both or something else) could be the culprit. Headaches from Xanax withdrawal are very common, and any drug withdrawal can get pretty serious, so this might not be the best time for a restrictive diet.

Old 10-12-2003, 09:25 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Atkins headaches are very common for the first 2, even 3 weeks. It's unrelated to caffeine since lots of people keep drinking coffee during INDUCTION and STILL get the headaches.
I found that 1000 mg acetamenophen (Tylenol) does the trick in 45 minutes....til the next day.

Soon they are no more!

Old 10-13-2003, 06:20 AM   #8

thomasinamom HB User
Talking

Thank heavens-I'm having the same headache problem, (I've always been prone to them anyway). I'm on Atkins now 10 days & I've been getting headaches-not horrible, but annoying, (like this morning). I'm doing Atkins to feel better, not worse! The feedback here has been very helpful, especially knowing it can take 2-3 weeks for them to completely disappear.

Another question-I've worked out for years and am in pretty good shape, but am doing Atkins to lose the last of the baby weight, along with being tired of minor weight fluctuations, (fat days, thin days, I've had enough). However, I get on the eliptical machine in the morning & my legs feel like jelly-like I won't be able to make it through my work out. I have a heart rate monitor & I used to need to get up to Level 7 to hit the high end, now I only need to go to Level 3. My heart rate is still fine & comes down quickly when I'm done, but has anyone else experienced this? And is it just do to Induction?

Old 10-21-2003, 01:37 PM   #9

eminemfan7186 HB User
I have been on atkins for over 3 months and I've lost about 33Lbs .... so remember that If ya'll start thinkin about quiting and yes I had headaches it's all about the withdraw's b/c your body is doing a complete 180 and changing most of your eating habbits the headaches and hunger pains do go away though trust me! Good luck to all!

Old 11-16-2003, 10:34 AM   #10

Feistybabyblues HB User
Headaches are COMMON for ANY diet. Any time you change your eating habits your body needs to adapt. In the meantime you get the headaches. Also, lack of hydration causes headaches. So dont compound your problems by not drinking ALOT of water while youre shocking your system into a new lifestyle.

Old 11-28-2003, 07:16 AM   #11

RMiller HB User
Re: Atkins and headache?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feistybabyblues
Headaches are COMMON for ANY diet. Any time you change your eating habits your body needs to adapt. In the meantime you get the headaches. Also, lack of hydration causes headaches. So dont compound your problems by not drinking ALOT of water while youre shocking your system into a new lifestyle.
The headaches are typically from carb withdrawal and the fact that your body is converting to "Fat Metabolism" from carb metabolism.

You can get Urinary Ketone test strips which change from pink to purple to indicate how far into fat metabolism you are.

Rich

Old 11-28-2003, 12:52 PM   #12

bnewcol HB User

If you all are eliminating caffeine in any form (coffee, colas, tea) then that would probably be the reason for the headaches. You may want to wean yourself slowly, half decaf half caf until you get yourself off (or take Excedrin - it has caffeine in it). If it's not caffeine related, it could be the toxins clearing out of your body from other food addictions you are removing yourself from. Or it could be your choice of carbs (wheat flour is not good for some people).
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskbloom
This is just my second day on the diet and I also have been having horrible headaches.

Old 11-29-2003, 11:08 PM   #13

Hamer HB User

I hope you all who are on this diet are prepared to be on this diet the rest of your life. If you get off of it, you will gain the weight back. The healthiest diet is full of fruits and veggies, lean meat and whole wheat. The only fuel your brain runs on is carbs. ONLY. You probably have noticed that it is harder for you to concentrate than before.

Old 12-01-2003, 10:28 AM   #14

beebop_71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer
I hope you all who are on this diet are prepared to be on this diet the rest of your life. If you get off of it, you will gain the weight back. The healthiest diet is full of fruits and veggies, lean meat and whole wheat. The only fuel your brain runs on is carbs. ONLY. You probably have noticed that it is harder for you to concentrate than before.
Looks like you just listed what is on Atkins maintenance.

Fat (the good fats which are encouraged on low carb) is necessary for brain function. Funny how my brain is much clearer on a low carb plan. If I stray, I feel as if I am in a fog.

As far as staying on it for life, of course! That is how it is meant to work. Same goes for my friend who has lost 60 lbs on Weight Watchers. She is hungry in the night from staying within her point range. Poor thing, she could easily maintain her weight on a low carb plan and NOT be hungry. Will she be able to keep it off if she doesn't continue on her plan? No way. I don't know of any diet that can be done to lose the weight then maintain by going back to the former eating habits.

Old 12-01-2003, 02:42 PM   #15

nsa18 HB User

The reason you are getting headaches is because your body needs carbs.This is what your brain and nervous system runs on.Your brain needs carbs and it needs alot more than the atkins diet allows you to consume.When there is a lack of carbs in the body the brain needs to figure out a plan to get energy otherwise it will shut down and then your brain dead.So when you start consuming all that protein(which kills your kidneys by the way) and not carbs it needs to take fat and start converting into something called ketones and uses this as energy and is excreted through the urine.This may sound ideal the fact that your brain is burning fat for you but ketosis is not meant to be a lifestyle its meant for extreme situations like starvation but along with that fat it will eventually burn muscle and leech calcium making bones brittle not to mention the high cholesterol and other health related problems with atkins.I would reccomend you go off this diet right away for your own well being.If you need advice ask.I lost 45lbs on a high carb diet.

Closed Thread