It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2003, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

requiemforadream HB User
Post Cereal before bed?

I've gotten back into the habit of needing to eat a bowl of cereal about 2 hours before I go to bed. Is this bad? I only consume the kinds that have little sugar and have next to no fat calories, i.e. Golden Grahams, Kix, Rice Krispies, w/ fat free milk. How bad am I being?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2003, 02:47 PM   #2
(female)

Judiannmel HB User
If I'm hungry before going to bed, I do the same thing. I think it is a healthy snack . And milk before bed is suppose to help you sleep well. My favorite is Kashi Go Lean Crunch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2003, 04:10 PM   #3
(female)

requiemforadream HB User
Where do you buy Kashi Cereal?

Old 11-17-2003, 01:29 PM   #4
(female)

Judiannmel HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by requiemforadream
Where do you buy Kashi Cereal?
I buy it at our regular grocery stores. Ralphs and Gelsons. Kashi also has some good frozen blueberry waffles. But that I have only found at Gelsons.

Old 11-25-2003, 06:12 PM   #5

urbantrained HB User
Re: Cereal before bed?

Cereals contain loads of carbohydrates, and you should't really eat carbohydrates before you go to sleep because it'll be stored as fat when you sleep.

Old 11-25-2003, 08:22 PM   #6
(female)

Judiannmel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbantrained
Cereals contain loads of carbohydrates, and you should't really eat carbohydrates before you go to sleep because it'll be stored as fat when you sleep.
I eat it a couple of hours before I go to bed. I'm one of those who still eats carbs. I eat very healthy all day and get alot of exercise. Healthy cereal before bed is not going to make me fat. It might be a concern for some people.

Old 11-28-2003, 11:15 AM   #7
(female)

sugar_babygirli HB User

I agree with the above poster. I've always been really thin and I usually have a few bowls of cereal before I go to bed because:

A: I can't sleep when I'm hungry

B: It's light and easy to digest

C: It makes me feel sleepy and relaxed

I SWEAR by cereal before going to bed! LOL
Cereal is a whole food group in itself!!

Old 11-28-2003, 02:12 PM   #8

bnewcol HB User

If you're not concerned with weight gain, more power to you! When you get older, you might want to change to a piece of cheese before bed. It's the protein your body needs more at night, not carbs. In general, you need the carbs more during the day and your night time meal should have a bit more protein than carb (maybe that's why you're hungry before bed?) and in general, you shouldn't eat after 7:30 if you're concerned about wieght gain. I have found a small piece of cheese before sleep helps me. It staves the hunger and I can sleep OK. If I have sugar (fruit or cereal) I tend to be a little more hyper and can't sleep as well as with just protein alone. Maybe a glass of milk is all you need?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar_babygirli
I agree with the above poster. I've always been really thin and I usually have a few bowls of cereal before I go to bed because:

A: I can't sleep when I'm hungry

B: It's light and easy to digest

C: It makes me feel sleepy and relaxed

I SWEAR by cereal before going to bed! LOL
Cereal is a whole food group in itself!!

Closed Thread