It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2005, 07:54 AM   #1
(female)

Concerned_4_me HB User
Question Quorn; is it good for you?

We naturally think of Quorn as a "healthy". But is it? I was thinking, something that is grown and modified in labs, can it really be healthy? I mean, it's not really a "natural" food- does this make it unhealthy? What are your opinions, because I wondering if I should cut it out of my diet or not.

Old 10-01-2005, 08:22 AM   #2
(female)

k8ty HB User
Exclamation Re: Quorn; is it good for you?

Is this the same thing as Corn (maize)? if it is: my belief is that most things that are natural are good for you, and you should incorperate as many fruits, veggies, nuts, etc... into your diet as possible. Obviously there are those natural poisons and such, but those have come to be recognized and avoided.

As for your concern; your are probably concerned about the genetic engineering aspect of agriculture these days. I am studying to become a genetic engineer right now and I know that if you're worried about the corn you eat, you might as well never buy any produce, meat, dairy, cereal, or other processed foods from your grocery store at all.

Almost all produce, some of the most popular being tomatoes and corn, has been in some way genetically modified to reduce disease while growing, thus yielding a larger (more profitable) crop. But, like the rest of the glucose, amino acids, and fatty acids found in organic foods, these engineered plants break down just the same into those 3 categories inside your body and are just as excelent for making your body go.

Do you know what farmers feed their cows/pigs/chickens? and how they live? They are fed food that has never been part of their natural diet so you are not getting the same meat you would if you went out hunting yourself.

Milk cows, as many people know, are overloaded with hormones to make them birth many many calfs because that's the only way a cow will produce milk: if it has a child. These cows are also not fed on a proper diet. Also, cheese was the first food to be genetically engineered. It used to be made with an enzyme found in a calves stomach, now that enzyme has been cultured in labs--still the same enzyme--but no more calves die to make cheese.

Processed foods: do you really think refined sugar, red dye #40, and all those other words you cannot pronounce or understand are good for you? How do you think all of these things came about? Surely they were not grown naturally in a field: they were produced in a lab. Same thing as with how they fortify cereals: take a compound with the required properties and modify it so that it is compatible with the cereal/bread/whatever you are eating.

Sorry for the long post, I hope it's helpful though, and I hope it eases your concerns about eating fruits and veggies and raises your concern about eating so many processed foods. Myself, I have cut out ~95% of processed foods from my diet, eating eggs, cheese, fruits, veggies, and nuts (vegetarian) and after just one week do not crave the granola bars, sugary sweets, or super-processed cereals that I used to eat oh so long ago.

If anybody out there has done/is doing/wants to do the same, let me know because I am very interested in what the longer-term side-affects (good connotation) are, and I'd like to discuss my smaller, less significant problem of food variety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2005, 11:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: Quorn; is it good for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8ty
If anybody out there has done/is doing/wants to do the same, let me know because I am very interested in what the longer-term side-affects (good connotation) are, and I'd like to discuss my smaller, less significant problem of food variety.
Kudos on your post, K8ty

We are so on the same page. I've been gradually cutting out processed foods since mid-July, and I just can't believe the positive results I'm seeing regarding a whole array of health problems I was experiencing.

Food variety is tricky, for sure, and can be time consuming. I'd be happy to exchange recipes with you or refer you to some cookbooks I've found which have been really helpful. Someone nice (Uff-Da) on the cholesterol forum suggested I check out the Omega Plan, which I did and has proven to be a nice "base" for menu ideas.

Hope you have a wonderful Saturday

Lysne

Old 10-01-2005, 06:11 PM   #4

Exile HB User

She is not asking about corn, but the brand Quorn. I guess you could say its a meat substitute. Its made from a fungus. I'm a big time meat eater, but eat this stuff all the time as well. If you gave me one of the quorn nuggets, and told me it was a chicken nugget, I would never know the difference.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-01-2005 at 06:27 PM. Reason: do not post instructions to find websites - only brand names are allowed here

Old 10-02-2005, 06:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I am looking forward to my first QUORN experience. I haven't seen any of it yet in my Super Markets (NYC metro.)
It is a high protein, very low saturated fat meat suibstitute made from mycofungus (think mushrooms and family.)

On-line I found they have introduced a QUORN "Turkey" roast at 1/3 the fat of turkey BUT at $5.99. Now if that price was for the whole "roast", great...but if it's $5.99 a pound (which seems likely) that's a far cry from the $.79 I'm used to paying. On the other hand, if it;s 100% edible, then maybe it's STILL worth a try.

If I spot the "chicken" tenders, I'll pick up a pack.

I think of QUORN as most similar to the SOYA based meat substitutes.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:55 AM   #6
(female)

k8ty HB User

my bad.

for the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was, I guess I assumed it was spelled differently and sounded the same.

Closed Thread