It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User
Sugar Alcohol? Whats so bad about it?

So whats the story behind sugar alcohol?

I know its in a lot of low carb stuff and it isnt supposed to be too good for you, so what exactly is so bad for you about it? I have found a couple items that have it, but they subtract it from the total carb count?

Old 10-19-2005, 04:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Sugar Alcohol? Whats so bad about it?

Here's what's good and bad bad about them:
The body can only partially digest them, thus the calorie counts of 1,2 or 3 calories per gram whereas sugar yields 4 calories per gram. THAT'S the good part!
Now the bad:
The undigested remnants find their way to our intestines where intestinal bacteria have a FEAST on them, fermenting them into bubbling masssses and making much carbon dioxide (making bad wine in out bellies actually.)

Once you've had a bout with a maltitol OD with no bathroom steps away, you won't readily do it again.

Some people suffer more than others...I get a headache, cramping and then the rear floodgates open.

Best way to test your tolerance is to buy and eat some CHOCOLATE FLAVORED, No Sugar Added ice cream. That's usually filled with MALTITOL. I have a friend who has BIG problems with Sorbitol...usually the sugar substitute in hard candy.

Maybe you'll be luckier!

Last edited by Lenin; 10-19-2005 at 04:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2005, 06:05 AM   #3
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranna65
So whats the story behind sugar alcohol?

I know its in a lot of low carb stuff and it isnt supposed to be too good for you, so what exactly is so bad for you about it? I have found a couple items that have it, but they subtract it from the total carb count?
Techinically speaking as a group, the sugar alcohols are not as sweet as sucrose (table sugar), but also they are less caloric than sucrose. Their flavor is similar to that of sucrose, and they can be used to mask the unpleasant aftertastes of some high intensity sweeteners. In addition to their sweetness, some sugar alcohols can produce a noticeable cooling sensation in the mouth when highly concentrated, for instance in sugar-free hard candy ("boiled sweets") or chewing gum. Sugar alcohols are not metabolized by oral bacteria, and so they do not contribute to tooth decay. They do not brown when heated (caramelize).

Sugar alcohols are usually incompletely digested in the intestines by insulin-independent means, resulting in little change in blood glucose. This property makes them popular sweeteners among diabetics and people on low-carbohydrate diets. However, as for many other incompletely digestible substances (such as dietary fiber), overconsumption of sugar alcohols can lead to bloating and diarrhea. With continued use, most people develop a tolerance to sugar alcohols and no longer experience these symptoms. As an exception, erythritol is lost through urine.

Although I like Lenin's explanation better leading to an outburst of laughter on my end I thought you might like the technical version of what it really is..Lisa

Old 10-19-2005, 06:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Does that mean I should stay off the sugar-free gum? I have the ones with minty taste that are good for my teeth, and I love them cos it keeps my breath really fresh.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

Okay, I was wondering what the deal is with it because I am on the low carb diet. The only thing I have had lately that contains sugar alcohol is a low carb candy and it does leave that feel in my mouth with im done.

I am taking vitamins so that I still use the bathroom regularly so it's not disrupting my guts yet. haha I will keep it to a minimum, I just wanted to make sure this wasnt going to hinder my weight loss...thanks!

Old 10-20-2005, 05:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

It's very much a quantity dependent thing. A few hard candies or some gum won't cause the internal explosions that a pint of ice cream will.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:59 PM   #7

mquest HB User

That explains a lot. I rarely eat candy bars, but one day I was standing in the checkout line and had a sweet tooth. I grabbed a low carb candy bar. I had terrible cramps and diarrhea. I didn't realize that it could have been the sugar alcohol, I thought it was chemicals or something. I couldn't understand most of the ingredients in the candy bar, but am not used to buying them either.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:37 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

Quote:
Okay, I was wondering what the deal is with it because I am on the low carb diet. The only thing I have had lately that contains sugar alcohol is a low carb candy and it does leave that feel in my mouth with im done.

I am taking vitamins so that I still use the bathroom regularly so it's not disrupting my guts yet. haha I will keep it to a minimum, I just wanted to make sure this wasnt going to hinder my weight loss...thanks!
Hi Piranna,
Glad to se your sticking to your low carb woe. Don't worry so much about the sugar alcohol but just be aware it can cause tummy issues and gas
What you do is if you see your weight taper off then you taper off the items with the sugar alcohol. For more weight loss it's best to stay away from this stuff on a regular basis and only eathese things for an occasional treat not for your regular diet.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

I spoke to my Dietician about this awhile back.

It is true that they can cause Diahrea and gas. If they dont...then there really isnt any problems with them. The Question really comes down to if it is worth it to eat foods with them? Calorie Wise, these items are not low calorie. If your goal is to lose weight, then they probably wont be as much help. If you are diabetic they can can be good IF they dont raise your blood sugar. Unfortunately tests have shown that they do not react the same in everybody. For some it will raisee the blood sugar...for others....they wont. Then there is the Price....These food generally cost more. When you see the labels Subtracting the Sugar Alcohol Grams from the Carb Grams it is very decieving as what it is really say is that these gram wont affect Insulin levels....but that is not true for everyone. they also do not have any nutrional value.

I used to eat these items all the time ( I am a Diabetic) but I no Longer do. I find it not worth it. Too much Money and usually doesnt taste as good as the real thing. Because of Calories they didnt help me lose weight, and The Insulin/Blood sugar part of it really didnt make a difference to me.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:05 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermac
I spoke to my Dietician about this awhile back.

It is true that they can cause Diahrea and gas. If they dont...then there really isnt any problems with them. The Question really comes down to if it is worth it to eat foods with them? Calorie Wise, these items are not low calorie. If your goal is to lose weight, then they probably wont be as much help. If you are diabetic they can can be good IF they dont raise your blood sugar. Unfortunately tests have shown that they do not react the same in everybody. For some it will raisee the blood sugar...for others....they wont. Then there is the Price....These food generally cost more. When you see the labels Subtracting the Sugar Alcohol Grams from the Carb Grams it is very decieving as what it is really say is that these gram wont affect Insulin levels....but that is not true for everyone. they also do not have any nutrional value.

I used to eat these items all the time ( I am a Diabetic) but I no Longer do. I find it not worth it. Too much Money and usually doesnt taste as good as the real thing. Because of Calories they didnt help me lose weight, and The Insulin/Blood sugar part of it really didnt make a difference to me.

As for nutritional value. There is no nutritional value in sugar either. These in my opinion taste great. I use them sparingly though.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:14 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

anitak1982

yes im still on the diet. 20+lbs now...I know it could be more if i was staying strict and or working out but it's still working infact my fiance is going to try it out now!!! I'm thrilled we can eat the same foods together now without my tongue hanging out when he eats a big bowl of pasta or something haha.

I am cutting down to 20carbs again this week to get back on track and remember how this all goes haha. I have found lots of carb friendly foods and the 1 carb ketchup you recommend was awesome couldnt even taste that it was 1 carb granted i've heard a lot of "that diet is no good for you, you should really consider stopping your going to gain all that weight back anyway" I just reply with the diet isnt terrible and like any if you stop you gain weight back!

I will keep that in mind with the sugar alcohol thing, i havent had too many stomach issues with it. But yeah they are for a little sweet treat when need be. I'm so happy with this diet, i tried on wedding dresses recently and couldnt believe how good i looked in them and I know if i wouldnt have lost the 20lbs i have that I wouldnt have fit in 1/2 of the dresses i tried on!

Old 11-07-2005, 05:18 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

I agree I find them tasty and the price is just a small price to pay. I can usually find them at sale at one of the several stores in my area so i rarely pay more then a dollar for any of them.

I dont look at it as "im eating these candies so I loose weight" Im looking at it as....I am on a diet and rather then have a real candy bar loaded with sugars ect I'd rather have something that has this substitute especially if it fits my diet.

Old 11-08-2005, 05:58 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

anitak1982 HB User

Quote:
I agree I find them tasty and the price is just a small price to pay. I can usually find them at sale at one of the several stores in my area so i rarely pay more then a dollar for any of them.

I dont look at it as "im eating these candies so I loose weight" Im looking at it as....I am on a diet and rather then have a real candy bar loaded with sugars ect I'd rather have something that has this substitute especially if it fits my diet.
Something I do when I want spaghetti type dish.

I make an awesome Italian Casserole:

Hunts has a no sugar spaghetti sauce that is very good and low carb which is only about a dollar a can. I brown italian sausage and ground chuck draining the grease, then add veges and cut them chunky, like zucchini,green pepper, onions, mushrooms and add it to the sauce and meat, I sprinkle some garlic, italian seasoning and 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and stir through.

Then I make a wonderful parmesan sauce for the top.
topping
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

Spoon evenly over the top of sauce and meat.

I bake this for in a 7 x 11 pan for about 40 minutes until the top is nicely browned.

This is lovely and with the chunky veges you don't miss that it doesn't have pasta in it.

Per Serving: 463 Calories; 38g Fat; 24g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carb

Closed Thread