It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

Ankh HB User
hungry but late

Hey there!

Well...what would you do if you get quite hungry but it is really late like after 11 already......do you actually choose to eat something?

I know that it is the amount of calories throughout the day that counts....but if you are trying not to eat after supper....what do you do?
i do not know whether i should eat an orange (i would feel lke it) or whether i should just try and ignore the feeling.

please give me advice if you can

Old 10-22-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User
Re: hungry but late

Drink something, and eat some veggies or something that contains protein. Nuts or anything are good too I think but just don't take stuff that contain loads of carbs cos you won't burn those.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2005, 01:06 AM   #3
(female)

mystic heart HB User

i have trouble sleeping if i'm hungry, so if it's late i usually have a bowl of cereal. seems to do the trick. sometimes, the cereal is the dinner, lol....

Old 10-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Personally, I used to think that eating late often meatn weight gain, or at least like FAT gain or soemthign. But over the last few weeks I have often eaten the majority of my calories late at night, past 11 most times, and it hasnt necessarily been all fruits and veggies and lean meats, etc...and nothing has changed with my body. I stayed within my cal range and everythign is fine. I think that for soem people, certain things make it harder to fall asleep so those are better to avoid, but for the most part carbs and maybe some dairy is good late at night because they are nice comfort foods. Staying within the cal range is what matters (and carbs do burn off even if you eat em late..)

Old 10-23-2005, 10:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Low blood sugar will keep me awake. Since the body's metabolism works 24/7, my blood sugar will only get lower if I ignore my hunger, even late at night. If I'm really hungry, I'll eat something.

--Rheanna

Old 10-24-2005, 11:52 AM   #6
(female)

Ankh HB User

thanx guys...

i do understand the fact that basically you could eat at whatever time as long as you stay within your caloric range,but i do not count calories...so how would i then know what is safe enough to eat at night?

strangely i always crave an orange late at night...but then people say that you should not eat fruit so late!....and yes...i LOVE fruit and snack on it during the day.

so what would you suggest then?

Old 10-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ankh,

I suggest you listen to your body. An orange isn't a sin or unhealthy. Raising your blood sugar when you're hungry isn't a sin or unhealthy. Eating at any hour of the day or night isn't a sin or unhealthy. Your clothes will tell you if you're eating too much -- oh, yeah, I guess you "should" listen to your clothes as well as your body. There are lots of "shoulds" out there in the world -- and I'd take most of them with a grain of salt. The few "shoulds" that I listen to are: eat your veggies and fruits, eat reasonable size portions, balance calories between fats, carbs, protein, and eat dessert as a treat and not everyday.

It's good that you are asking questins to see what others think -- there are a lot of us with opinions on these Boards! When we answer with conflicting opinions, you can choose from them all and make up your mind based on what feels right for YOUR body.

--Rheanna

Last edited by rheanna; 10-24-2005 at 09:54 PM.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

If it doesn't matter whether it's carbs or protein, then why do bodybuilders who are cutting eat mostly carbs/fats at night and not carbs?

Old 10-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothagirl
If it doesn't matter whether it's carbs or protein, then why do bodybuilders who are cutting eat mostly carbs/fats at night and not carbs?
justanothagirl,

People who are bodybuilders can give their reasons for their personal choices of foods and what time of day to eat them. I don't know. Even in that area, there are different opinions about how best to build muscle mass.

My point is that there isn't ONE best way for everyone in the world to eat. There are whole societies who for hundreds of years have eaten mostly animal protein and blubber (the Inuits/Eskimos in frozen North America), strictly vegetarian diets (some Asian groups), milk-based diets (peoples who herd reindeer), diets which completely exclude milk (American Indians and other groups who can't digest milk as adults). There are individuals within those groups who choose to eat other sorts of foods -- such us those of us in the western world who follow all sorts of fad diets. People who observe Ramadan eat and drink nothing during the day for a whole month each year and then eat ALL their nutrition after the sun goes down -- and then they go to bed with a full tummy. This has been going on for many many generations, and these people appear to be very healthy even though they eat late at night. There are other people who eat their biggest meals for breakfast and eat very little late in the day. There are people who do just fine on one meal a day and others who must space out their eating every few hours in order to keep their blood sugar stable.

Bodybuilders all have different opinions about what diet will work best for them -- I can't believe that ALL bodybuilders follow the same diet. And most of the people who check in here to the Healthboards aren't bodybuilders -- we are here to learn from each other and read different opinions about what one "should" eat or not eat and then make decisions about what works best for us as individuals.

So, to answer your question, I don't know why bodybuilders make the dietary decisions that they do. If that is what the original question was about, then I'll stand aside and let someone else have the floor. Can you enlighten us about bodybuilders' diets? I'd love to have more muscles!

--Rheanna

Closed Thread