It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
(female)

mops41288 HB User
Question Eating enough?

Because Im trying to gain weight (right now Im 5'3 87 lbs) I have to eat more then I usually do. Its been years since Ive eating 3 meals a day w/ snacks in between and I feel like Ive been eating a lot. I guess Im not use to eating this much. Heres what I ate today:

breakfast:
Ensure which is about 240 calories

lunch:
Strawberry filled frosted donut

snack:
string cheese
2 mini vienna sausages wrapped in a small white corn tortilla

dinner:
small steak teriyaki rice bowl w/ vegetables
chocolate truffle

Old 10-29-2005, 07:17 AM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: Eating enough?

Hi Mops,

The question isn't just are you eating enough it should also be is the right kind of foods for someone going through what you are. I think your food choices are poor expecially your lunch. I would keep the ensure for now but try adding whole grains and fruits and veggies. I'm sure you are lacking nutrients right now and the ensure is really not the best source for obtaining these. You can also eat nuts they can put weight on as long as you eat alot of them plus they are a great source of vitamins. Eat potatoes like sweet potatoes and make sure you try to eat veggies at most meals...Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2005, 01:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jonistyle2 HB User

you're not eating NEARLY enough to gain weight (much less enough to even maintain the super low weight you're at). Do you have an eating disorder? Not to offend if you don't, but that diet is very sparse and if that's MORE than what you were eating before, then i'm scared to know how little you were feeding yourself then. you should really see a nutritionist. what you're doing now is extremely unhealthy and it's not going to help you gain weight anyway because its not enough calories.

Old 10-30-2005, 05:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

mops,

Tell me about the Steak Teriyaki Rice Bowl...it sounds like the only real food of the day. Is it a commercial microwave product? If so, how many calories on the nutrition label.
Or is it a YOSHINOYA fast food item...fairly nourishing.

Your diet is pretty gross considereing there's no honest food til dinner because you'd best think of the filled donut as nothing more than a couple tablespoons of sugar and the Vienna sausages and string cheese as a couple tablespoons of saturated grease and little else.

I guess the ENSURE will help keep you from dropping over in your tracks.

Last edited by Lenin; 10-30-2005 at 05:01 AM.

Old 10-30-2005, 05:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

mops,

Tell me about the Steak Teriyaki Rice Bowl...it sounds like the only real food of the day. Is it a commercial microwave produc? If so, how many calories on the nutrition label.
Or is it a YOSHINOYA fast food item...fairly nourishing.

Your diet is pretty gross considereing there's no food til dinner because you'd best think of the filled donut as nothing more than a couple tablespoons of sugar and the Vienna sausages and string cheese as a couple tablespoons of saturated grease and little else.

I guess the ENSURE will help keep you from dropping over in your tracks.

No, your diet is not one that will allow you to gain weight.

Old 10-30-2005, 05:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

You diet is definately nto enough to MAINTAIN a healthy weight, let alone GAIN weight. If you can't eat more, add more ensures throughout the day- drink it like you would water. The rest of your diet also isn't very healthy (let aloen substantial). You should add more protein in the forms of chicken, turkey, fish, some red meats, etc. You should eat 3-4 servings of dairy (the string cheese is one, and thats a good start). You should be eating like 8 servings of starches, preferably the 'healthy' kind, as in whole grain bread, potatoes, veggies, rice, pasta, etc. You definately should eat more heart healthy fats, or even just more fat in general in the form of oil (olive, canola), butter...nuts, etc. Eat a lot of calorie dense foods if you cant physically stomach a lot (for now..eventually you tummy will and SHOULD stretch). That means lots of heart healthy oils, nuts, seeds, nut butter, whole grain breads, lean meats, full fat dairy, and you can also add those ensures in all over the place like a 'drink' as opposed to a meal. You shoudl be eating around 2000-2200 Cals to maintain a healthy weight and about 500 Cals more than that to gain up to that weight (and you should weigh a min of 110lbs!!) I agree with an above poster when she asks if youve had issues with eating before, because maybe your questions would be better directed on the EAting Disorder Recovery board where the posters deal with similar issues (no offense if you don't, but it just looks that way..correct me if im wrong of course!)

Old 10-30-2005, 05:08 PM   #7
(female)

mops41288 HB User

The teriyaki bowl was from a local chinese fast food place and had 512 calories according to the website. I rarely eat dounuts, so that was just a once in a while thing. Yesterday I ate:

breakfast
boost (kinda like ensure) 240 caloires

lunch
boost 240 caloires

lunch/snack
small serving of scrambled eggs
2 pieces of toast about 100 cals each lightly buttered

dinner
campbells wonton soup about 115 calories
egg roll 180 calories
beef jerky 80 cal

I dont have an eating disorder. My weight loss happened over a long period of time I guess. I use to just eat dinner because Im not hungry in the morning or during lunch (which is still considered morning to me) and drank about 2 litters of coke a day. I had to stop drinking soda because of some dental problems and switched to diet soda. Then I guess the only way I was getting calories was from the one dinner (which is usually microwave pizzia or t.v dinners) Now Im just confused about how many calories I should be getting since Im small frame and not at all physically active.

Last edited by mops41288; 10-30-2005 at 05:21 PM.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:30 AM   #8
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

You are not eating enough and you are not eating healthy from what I can see..Only use the ensure and boost as an snack meal. I would not replace my meals with it like you did for breakfast..Try eating ice cream at night..Lisa

Old 10-31-2005, 07:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

One boost or ensure is not a good meal replacement. If you MUST drink those (and I dont see why you do?) then drink at least two, or have the high cal ones. You definately need to eat more.

Old 10-31-2005, 09:09 PM   #10
(female)

mops41288 HB User

today I actually ate more then enough. Being halloween I had 1 snickers bar, a baby ruth, a butterfinger (all fun sizes) and a lolly pop. Then I went to an all you can eat buffet and ate so much. I cant even remember all I ate. Mostly things like mac n' cheese, lean skinless chicken, veggies, ect. But I know I did eat a lot. Probabily more then I should of and with the Ensure probabily went well over 3,000 calories ! well maybe not quite that much.. I know thats not a good thing but I rarely do this type of thing. Kinda starting to feel guilty about it now but I do need the calories and I did try to avoid junk food all day and actually tried to eat more "real" food. I'll probabily eat light tomorrow because Im still feeling guilty about today

Last edited by mops41288; 10-31-2005 at 10:20 PM.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:15 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

starsofglass HB User

just start with around 1600 kcal a day, and gradually increase every day/week to let your body get used to it. Stick to healthy food though, you know that

Old 11-01-2005, 10:19 PM   #12
(female)

mops41288 HB User

I felt so guilty about yesterday so I ate light today:

breakfast
boost

lunch
boost
3 hersheys kisses

dinner
campbells chicken gumbo 150 cal

For some reason I wassnt really hungry either, probabily still full from yesterday

Closed Thread