It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
(female)

Hypo2004 HB User
Question Splenda vs. Nutrasweet

For the past year I've used Splenda in EVERYTHING... from coffee to pumpkin pie! I am battling hair loss, massive shedding at times. Although there are other reasons possible behind this such as hypothyroid, stress, which I have. My hair loss has dramatically slowed after cutting out Splenda altogther. I still use one packet of nutrasweet every morning in coffee!

I am wondering if anyone can respond either with Splenda-related hair loss or comments (positive or negative) regarding nutrasweet or splenda.

Thank you!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2005, 05:59 AM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: Splenda vs. Nutrasweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo2004
For the past year I've used Splenda in EVERYTHING... from coffee to pumpkin pie! I am battling hair loss, massive shedding at times. Although there are other reasons possible behind this such as hypothyroid, stress, which I have. My hair loss has dramatically slowed after cutting out Splenda altogther. I still use one packet of nutrasweet every morning in coffee!

I am wondering if anyone can respond either with Splenda-related hair loss or comments (positive or negative) regarding nutrasweet or splenda.

Thank you!!!
I have read about it it a few books that promote natural cures and toxins we put into our body. I have read case studies in where artificial sweetners cause or harm people with MS. I think any artificial anything is not meant to consume. Since giving up splenda and sweet n low. I have not had a headache in months. I use organic maple syrup to sweeten my drinks that will not put weight on you. The truth is that anything overprocessed and claims to be diet really does not help in weight loss at all. If you stick to natural products you will be pleasantly surprised....Lisa

Last edited by Moxie75; 11-19-2005 at 06:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2005, 10:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

I highly doubt that the splenda was causing it. But who really knows. If it is...then it would be an extremely rare occurrance. I would probably mention it to your doctor and see what he says.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
(male)

MyPlague HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo2004

Thank you!!!
I've never heard of either of those being directly related to hair loss. However they are both basically poisons to the body.

We've all heard about the stories behind nutrasweet. From panic attacks to cancer, this stuff has been linked to it. I used to drink diet drinks all the time, now I don't drink any soda at all, let alone artificial sweeteners.

The thing I've heard about Splenda is that it is actually close to chlorine in atomic structure. I believe the way it works is they take sugar and change the calorie producing atom from sugar to being a chlorinated atom instead. So you have more chlorinated atoms than normal sugar does, thereby eliminating the calories that come with sugar.

Not to say that you're eatin chlorine, but you're supposedly eating something closer to it.

I agree with the previous poster. Anything artificial was not meant to be consumed by human beings, or any being for that matter. I'm personally against all things artificial now, including drugs.

I try to go as organic and natural as possible nowadays. It's almost impossible to keep it completely like that, but I've eliminated as much junk as possible and that combined with eliminating dairy recently and taking flax oil I feel like a new person.

Elminating alot of the artificial, processed crap I was eating has really made a difference in how I feel. I'll never go back.

Old 11-20-2005, 04:53 AM   #5
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Myplague,

I couldn't agree more. I pulled this from a hair loss site:
HAIR LOSS - Causes

* Stress including anxiety and fear
* Unhealthy diet, mineral imbalances, vitamin deficiencies, lack of sufficient live enzymes
* Metal toxicity
* Hormone imbalance
* Thyroid disease or abnormalities in some cases attributed to unhealthy dietary habits
* Adrenal exhaustion results from inability to cope with stress, too much caffeine and sugars.
* Hypothyroidism
* Poor circulation, acute illness,
* Surgery
* Radiation, chemotherapy drugs
* Skin disease
* Sudden weight loss
* High fever
* Substance abuse: overindulge or abuse drugs and alcohol
* Hereditary propensity
Stress including anxiety and fear are all prompted by emotions, mental duress, physical burden and an unhealthy consumption mostly consisting of sugars, caffeine, artificial sweeteners, and alcohol. Vitamin B complex will strengthen the central nervous system aiding as a stress buster. Be sure to take adequate dosages of the all the B complex vitamins especially B3, B5 - Pantothenic acid, B6 - pyridoxine. Vitamin B assists the body with handling stress. When we endure stress we lose large amounts of vitamin B thus contributing to more anxiety, fear, anger, frustration, irritability and hair loss. The herbal remedy, Passion flower relaxes the central nervous system and helps during hard stressful times.

Old 11-20-2005, 06:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

There are four common artificial sweetners in use today Splenda (sucralose), Nutrasweet (aspartame), and Sweet and Low (saccharine) and Sucaryl (cyclamate.) They are COMPLETELY different chemical classes from one another with only one thing in common, sweetness without calories.
I think all are safe but if anyone gets frightened of using one then switching to another is perfectly simple to do.
If you choose to avoid all four, eat and drink your sweet foods and drinks with sugar. If you feel sugar too is deadly then do without. There's no nutritional RDA for soda.

If you look for connections, ala "I use lots of Splenda and I had a car accident," you'll "find" them sooner or later.

Hypo,
If you think that Splenda is causing your hair to fall out, (I doubt it is) then switch to Nutrasweet...it's a little cheaper and tastes better. It's what I use as a sweetner, when I don't feel like paying shipping costs from Canada to get cyclamate which is the best tasting of the 4 artificial sweetners to my taste buds.

On the chlorine scare: Table salt is 61% chlorine and thus the AVERAGE American consumes over 5 POUNDS of chlorine per year from the salt he eats...then add a suitable amount from CHLORINATED water and another pile from breathing in fumes in the laundry room...that's a LOT of chlorine.
Furthermore, since stomach acid is a STRONG and concentrated solution of hydrochloric acid (97% chlorine), the complete absence of chlorine will result in a quick death by starvation. Chlorine is a necessary nutrient required in rather large amounts to sustain human life...The internet "gurus" who claim medical knowledge (Mercola comes to mind) should probably REtake Freshman High School Chemistry.

Last edited by Lenin; 11-20-2005 at 06:44 AM.

Old 11-20-2005, 10:26 AM   #7
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
There are four common artificial sweetners in use today Splenda (sucralose), Nutrasweet (aspartame), and Sweet and Low (saccharine) and Sucaryl (cyclamate.) They are COMPLETELY different chemical classes from one another with only one thing in common, sweetness without calories.
I think all are safe but if anyone gets frightened of using one then switching to another is perfectly simple to do.
If you choose to avoid all four, eat and drink your sweet foods and drinks with sugar. If you feel sugar too is deadly then do without. There's no nutritional RDA for soda.

If you look for connections, ala "I use lots of Splenda and I had a car accident," you'll "find" them sooner or later.

Hypo,
If you think that Splenda is causing your hair to fall out, (I doubt it is) then switch to Nutrasweet...it's a little cheaper and tastes better. It's what I use as a sweetner, when I don't feel like paying shipping costs from Canada to get cyclamate which is the best tasting of the 4 artificial sweetners to my taste buds.

On the chlorine scare: Table salt is 61% chlorine and thus the AVERAGE American consumes over 5 POUNDS of chlorine per year from the salt he eats...then add a suitable amount from CHLORINATED water and another pile from breathing in fumes in the laundry room...that's a LOT of chlorine.
Furthermore, since stomach acid is a STRONG and concentrated solution of hydrochloric acid (97% chlorine), the complete absence of chlorine will result in a quick death by starvation. Chlorine is a necessary nutrient required in rather large amounts to sustain human life...The internet "gurus" who claim medical knowledge (Mercola comes to mind) should probably REtake Freshman High School Chemistry.
You right A swimming pool alone is so full of toxins and bad to breathe in as far as chlorine goes. So I say try to eliminate as many toxins as you possibly can because you are going to get them without even trying. Wouldn't it be better just to use pure sea salt which is not processed with any chlorine? Why put anything that is artificial in your temple (body)? I know that I am not going to get away from all the toxic garbage we have in the world today but I can at least eliminate as many as I possibly can. Why make your body a breeding ground for all kinds of diseases by ignoring the cold hard facts and injesting what the FDA decides to say is ok?? Lisa

Old 11-20-2005, 11:52 AM   #8
(male)

MyPlague HB User

To the original poster. I too am having issues with hair loss. I'm only 21, and everybody I know says they don't notice a change yet. It looks like a pattern loss, but at the same time not because it's much thinner EVERYWHERE on my scalp. Even my sideburns look different. So I'm still not too sure if it's a Telogen Effluvium (usually temporary hair loss caused by a specific trigger) or Male Pattern.

I started doing these "scalp exercises" that a guy has posted on a website. Can't give you the link, and I still don't know if there is an validity to the argument but you could give them a try.

Start by moving your front muscles of the scalp up. And then relax them. As they relax, try to pull back your ears using the "occipitalis" muscles or the two muscles on the very back of the head. Do these interittently over and over until you feel the muscle burn in the back of your head. To see if you're doing it right put your hand on the very top of your head. If when you relax the front muscles and pull back the back muscles of your head if your hand moves back some then you're doing them right.

What this "supposedly" does is it revitalizes the blood supply to the hair follicles. It also increases the flexibility and elasticity of the scalp, one of the most common side effects of hair loss of any type is a much tighter scalp.

I've been doing this for 15 minutes twice a day for several weeks. And my hair has the bounce back that it did 3 years ago. However to see any results as far as gaining new hair you supposedly have to do it for 6-8 months before that happens.

Just a suggestion. It's a cheap way to atleast improve the health of your scalp.

PM me if you want more elaboration.

I drank everyday for a couple of years. Not to mention I had a seriously defficient diet. No vitamins, no omega 3s, no nothing.

Not to mention I ate less than 1/3 of what I should have been eating for about a year to lose weight.

Not to mention I started getting panic attacks about a year ago. So you add all of those factors in, along with getting stressed out about the fact that my hair is so much thinner than it used to be and you can see how all that factors in.

I don't notice more shedding, but I'm noticing that my hair is getting replaced by fewer and fewer hairs every cycle.

I will still get drunk every once in a while, but not often. Not often at all. Nowadays my diet is 180 degrees from where it was.

I would say that the artificial sweetener isn't good. But I really doubt it's CAUSING hair loss all by itself.

How are other factors of your life? Stress wise, diet wise and stuff.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin

Hypo,

Ahh....someone I can completely agree with.

Hey Lisa.....I guess if a topic like this comes up we will always be making comments!

Although there may be many "Toxins" in our foods. I am not sure we have any real indications that they actually cause harm to us. After all we now Live longer then we ever have before....when these "Toxins" didnt exixt in our foods.

I am not saying that there arent things that are bad for us. but I dont think it is worth the stress or aggrevation of worrying about it.

Lisa....do you not trust anything the FDA decides on? You do realize that the FDA is only in the US. what about the equivilent Organizations in every other country in this world? Here In Canada we actually have much stricter guidlines and many things that are allowed in the US are not allowed here.

One Thing I neglected to mention in other posts regarding that it is all about money........you do realize that The Sugar Companies have as much to lose as the Artificial sweetner companies have to gain by Artificial sweetners being safe? IF you researched it you may very well find that the few studies that say that it is not safe were probably Funded by the Sugar companies.

just because something is Artificial does not mean it is not safe.

But I will add that I still respect you and your opinions because at least you stand by what you believe and Live your life by your way of thought. and you apply it to everyhting you do and eat.

Old 11-21-2005, 08:07 AM   #10
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Piper,

I do not trust the FDA nor the FTC. I used to be a medical assistant and I worked at a pharmaceutical company that manufacutured the coatings on the pills for many major pharmaceuticals I know first hand it is all about the Money. I truly believe that we have more disease than ever before. Most pharmaceutical drugs are desigend to merely cover diseases ( I know Lenin will agree with that). As a direct result of this multibillion dollar fraud business, no cure has ever been found for cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, or any other chronic disease. On the contrary these diseases continue in epidemic proportions, killing about 5,000 Americans every day. This compares to the anihilation of a city the size of San Francisco every year.

I use sugar in the raw and organic maple syrup for sweets which is not high in calories and a taste great and it's cheaper than artificial sweetener. So why use artificial anything? To save a calorie or 2..Just not worth it in my opinion..Lisa

Old 11-21-2005, 11:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie75
Piper,

I do not trust the FDA nor the FTC. I used to be a medical assistant and I worked at a pharmaceutical company that manufacutured the coatings on the pills for many major pharmaceuticals I know first hand it is all about the Money. I truly believe that we have more disease than ever before. Most pharmaceutical drugs are desigend to merely cover diseases ( I know Lenin will agree with that). As a direct result of this multibillion dollar fraud business, no cure has ever been found for cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, or any other chronic disease. On the contrary these diseases continue in epidemic proportions, killing about 5,000 Americans every day. This compares to the anihilation of a city the size of San Francisco every year.

I use sugar in the raw and organic maple syrup for sweets which is not high in calories and a taste great and it's cheaper than artificial sweetener. So why use artificial anything? To save a calorie or 2..Just not worth it in my opinion..Lisa
Actually there kind of is a Cure for Diabetes already. Look up the Edmonton protocal. The Main problem with it right know is to get doners. fo some people they need 2 doners. Not Practical. but with the advance of Stem Cell Research...a way to produce the cells for transplant may not be far away.

Old 11-21-2005, 12:11 PM   #12
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermac
Actually there kind of is a Cure for Diabetes already. Look up the Edmonton protocal. The Main problem with it right know is to get doners. fo some people they need 2 doners. Not Practical. but with the advance of Stem Cell Research...a way to produce the cells for transplant may not be far away.
You are right there is a cure but not this one. There is a natural cure for diabetes but you will never hear about it on TV nor will you hear about it through the FDA.. why? ecause they do not make money on it: The truth about Edmonton Protocal:
Transplantation is not a cure

"Islet transplantation is not a cure for diabetes but rather an alternative treatment suitable only for highly selected patients with unstable forms of type 1 diabetes that cannot be effectively controlled with insulin injections," said Dr. Shapiro. He emphasized that those who receive islet transplants currently must take potent immunosuppressive drugs to prevent rejection of the transplanted islets for the rest of their lives -- and that such drugs may cause mouth ulcers (which usually go away) and increase their risks of infection and, perhaps, some types of cancer.

Dr. Bernhard Hering of the University of Minnesota and Dr. Jonathan Lakey of the University of Alberta, as well as Dr. Camillo Ricordi of the University of Miami, worked closely with Dr. Shapiro in taking the trial forward as a multicenter effort.

Lisa

Last edited by Moxie75; 11-21-2005 at 12:12 PM.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Well thats why I said it is kind of a cure. Its not perfected yet. but with Stem Cells. It may become the Treatment for all diabetics. At Least Type I (Which I am)

a natural cure? I am curious what that may be? that Fact that My Immune system has killed all of My Beta Cells I dont see how there could be a natural cure.

No offense but you do seem to be quite cynical and Conspiricy Theorist. when it comes to big Business and the health organizations.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:36 PM   #14
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

No offense but you do seem to be quite cynical and Conspiricy Theorist. when it comes to big Business and the health organizations.[/QUOTE]

You do not know the reason behind what you call my "cynical/conspiracy theory." If you have experienced in my life time the many mis-diagnosed illnesses of my lost loved ones you woud feel the same way. My knowledge comes from my experiences. I am not going to be a puppet or a guinea pig for any doctor, big business or the healthcare org and I take what alot of them say with a grain of salt. I try it my way and if my way does not work then I try it their way and if that doesn't work I go elsewhere until it does. I am responsible for my own health. I could say that you sound like an advocate for big business and health care organizations but I think it would be innopropriate. I will not continue this debate as it seems as though you are on a personal mission with this topic. We can agree to disagree...Lisa

Last edited by Moxie75; 11-21-2005 at 02:48 PM.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:53 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie75
No offense but you do seem to be quite cynical and Conspiricy Theorist. when it comes to big Business and the health organizations.
You do not know the reason behind what you call my "cynical/conspiracy theory." If you have experienced in my life time the many mis-diagnosed illnesses of my lost loved ones you woud feel the same way. My knowledge comes from my experiences. I am not going to be a puppet or a guinea pig for any doctor, big business or the healthcare org and I take what alot of them say with a grain of salt. I try it my way and if my way does not work then I try it their way and if that doesn't work I go elsewhere until it does. I am responsible for my own health. I could say that you sound like an advocate for big business and health care organizations but I think it would be innopropriate. I will not continue this debate as it seems as though you are on a personal mission with this topic. We can agree to disagree...Lisa[/QUOTE]

Nope..not trying to be on a personal mission......I mostly enjoy debating. but I dont think you can Lump all Big Business and big organization all together. Though I do Realize it is very hard to decide who to trust and whoo to belive these days.

Closed Thread