It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2005, 10:50 PM   #1
(male)

thebluedog HB User
How long is Kefir good once opened?

Help! I can't find any conclusive info regarding how long kefir is good for after opened. Does anyone know? I've read 2 days and I've read a week. I have even emailed the manufacturer but they have not responded.
By the way, I just started drinking kefir. The health benefits are incredible! It's probably the best source for probiotics! I like to drink 8 ounces of kefir mixed with 4 ounces of pomegranate juice. It's makes for a great smoothie-like drink.

EFFECTS OF KEFIR

[Regulates the body's immune system and improves resistance to diseases.
* Regulates the blood pressure, blood sugar and cures diabetes.
* Heals the lungs, bronchitis, tuberculosis, asthma, allergies and migraine.
* Has a positive influence on the heart and blood, heals circulatory conditions.
* Heals various eczema, all skin disorders and leads to cure of acne.
* Heals the kidneys, the urinary tract and protects prostate.
* Has a positive influence on cholesterol, osteoporosis and rheumatism.
* Supports enzymes production and heals the pancreas.
* Improves the liver and gallbladder, regulates bile production, influences positively hepatitis.
* Regulates metabolism, digestion and heals diseases of the colon.
* Heals colitis, diarrhea, catarrh, reflux, leaky gut syndrome, candidasis and more.
* Rebalance the intestinal flora and stomach acid, heals duodenum and cures ulcers.
* Produces its own antibiotics, eliminates unfriendly bacteria, cures internal and external inflammations.
* Heals lactose intolerance and provides full digestibility of milk based products.
* Produces own anti-cancer compounds, prevents metastasis, and leads to cure.
* Slows the aging process, smoothes and improves skin, hair and muscle tonus.
* Reduces anxiety, depression, increases energy and feeling of wellbeing.
* Produces all necessary vitamins and beneficial bacteria needed for our healthy daily life.
Drink it for good health

The Following User Says Thank You to thebluedog For This Useful Post:
siempre (05-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2005, 05:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: How long is Kefir good once opened?

BlueDog,

I've made and drunk my own kefir the last 5 years.

The probiotics are effective antibodies and the acid environment fatal to almost everything except the kefir buggies themselves. I can tell you that the home made kefir will keep AT LEAST A MONTH in the fridge. In fact since I just keep adding to my gallon jug (sometimes 2) SOME of that amount HAS to be 3 or 4 months old (when I scrubbed the jug last.)

Store bought probably doesn't have quite the number (billions) of organisms that home made does, but I'd venture to guess that 2 weeks would CERTAINLY be absolutely safe, and longer than that very probably.

I drink a glass every day.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:33 AM   #3
(male)

thebluedog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
BlueDog,

I've made and drunk my own kefir the last 5 years.

The probiotics are effective antibodies and the acid environment fatal to almost everything except the kefir buggies themselves. I can tell you that the home made kefir will keep AT LEAST A MONTH in the fridge. In fact since I just keep adding to my gallon jug (sometimes 2) SOME of that amount HAS to be 3 or 4 months old (when I scrubbed the jug last.)

Store bought probably doesn't have quite the number (billions) of organisms that home made does, but I'd venture to guess that 2 weeks would CERTAINLY be absolutely safe, and longer than that very probably.

I drink a glass every day.

Lenin,
Thanks for the info! Where do you purchase your kefir grains and what beverage do you make it with? I think I may start making mine for 2 reasons: it's cheaper and, as you pointed out, there are more healthy organisms.
Wow, you been drinking it for 5 years...that's awesome. I'm glad I stumbled upon Kefir. It seems that most people aren't aware of kefir.

Thanks

Last edited by thebluedog; 05-01-2007 at 12:08 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Old 11-27-2005, 12:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

I found somebody online who made kefir and he offered me some grains, I picked them up at his office. I've given away perhaps 100 starter portions of grains in the 5 years...but only to people I can hand it to (New York City area)...mailing stuff like that is TOO crazy-making!

I make it ONLY with milk. Whole milk is best, 2% works fine (my choice now), 1% is dodgy, and you often wind up with kefir that "breaks" too readily...good only for cheese. I wouldn't dare try SKIM milk!
I buy the 2% milk at $2.15 a gallon and thus that's what my kefir costs me, $2.15 a gallon, instead of what, $3.49 a QUART.

There are kefir sharing places online that allow for easy hook up with to get grains from somebody in your area. It's considered rather VULGAR to exchange money for kefir...it's the gift that keeps on giving.
DON'T fall for those packets on sale with the powder...they are good only once. Grains are good FOREVER. In fact, I'm pretty sure EVERYBODY is using the same grain.

Last edited by Lenin; 11-27-2005 at 12:24 PM.

Old 11-30-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
(female)

Bev92 HB User

I just started making my own kefir too, from scratch. I've known about it for quite a while but never tried making it until now. You can actually purchase some grains from ebay, they sell it cheap, and lasts forever, that's where I get mine. I make mine with organic coconut milk which is highly benefical and in my opinion, much healthier than normal dairy cow's milk. And the taste is great!! I also like to blend mine with fruit such as blueberries. I'm currently replacing coffee with this smoothie, it's got to be the greatest beverage by far..

Old 12-01-2005, 04:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bev,

Coconut milk at 552 calories per cupful and 93% fat gives me the willies. If I drank that every day, I'd have to be wheeled around by porters soon.

Kefir made from 2% milk is less than 130 calories per cupful (perhaps MUCH less depending on how many lactose calories the buggies consume)...and 35% calories from fat.

What made you choose coconut milk? You don't drink this DAILY do you?

Old 12-02-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
(female)

Bev92 HB User

Lenin... No, actually that's incorrect. I use Pure coconut milk which is also known as coconut water. Were you refering to the store bought kind? This is low in fat and calories. One cup is 46 calories and half a gram of fat, of which 0.4 grams are saturated fat. Also it doesn't contain any cholesterol. It has traces of a wide range of minerals, vitamins and amino acids, but is high in potassium. Something I definiely think is better than normal milk.

Yes, I have my kefir everyday!

Old 12-03-2005, 06:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Aha,

Coconut WATER...that's different. Coconut MILK is made by pressing the pre-ground meat of the coconut and is very fatty and calorific, whether from a can or a cocount.

Coconut WATER is what runs out when you punch a hole in a coconut, a slightly sweet liquid, that is almost all water.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Best tasting is the PLAIN, Liza. Why disguise the taste of something that tastes so intrinsically good?

If you go with flavored try a fruit flavor...but then, you won't know if you like KEFIR or BLUEBERRIES!

Old 12-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

I drink it plain, a glassful a day for the last 5 years. It's replaced yoghurt in my life.

It must be WEIRD on cereal.

I tried it in my shake once but the tartness of the kefir and the taste of the pure cocoa I use in my shakes was a goofy combination...they went together like whipped cream on sardines!:

Old 12-10-2005, 01:01 PM   #11
(male)

thebluedog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev92
I just started making my own kefir too, from scratch. I've known about it for quite a while but never tried making it until now. You can actually purchase some grains from ebay, they sell it cheap, and lasts forever, that's where I get mine. I make mine with organic coconut milk which is highly benefical and in my opinion, much healthier than normal dairy cow's milk. And the taste is great!! I also like to blend mine with fruit such as blueberries. I'm currently replacing coffee with this smoothie, it's got to be the greatest beverage by far..
Bev,

What company do you buy your Kefir from? I did a search on ebay and found a number of companies and was curious to find out which one you use. Also, where do you purchase your organic coconut milk? I checked Wild Oats, which a organic health food store where I live and they did not carry coconut milk.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2005, 08:22 PM   #12
(female)

Bev92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluedog
Bev,

What company do you buy your Kefir from? I did a search on ebay and found a number of companies and was curious to find out which one you use. Also, where do you purchase your organic coconut milk? I checked Wild Oats, which a organic health food store where I live and they did not carry coconut milk.

Thanks
I use the one from TheKefirShop and they're from the UK. It's the one with the picture of the kefir and blue background. I chose them because of their positive feedback and what the people were saying about it. I purchase my coconut milk & water from wilderness family naturals online but they're all sold out and have been for quite a while. I'm glad I bought several cases a long time ago because I still have some left. If you can't find it at your health food store then maybe do a search online for organic coconut water. That's what I'm going to do since I'm almost all out. Also I use the ones that come in packs in a box. Hope this helps and good luck with your kefir!! =)

Old 12-12-2005, 06:24 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

bluedog,

I think the most commonly available "ready made" in the U.S. is the Helios brand. The few times I tried it, it was quite delicious. But pricey at $3.49 or so a quart.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:16 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

I have Just started to eat/Drink Kefir. I have tried two brands from the Organic section of my local Grocery store ( Not sure the Brands) I have found that just Plain I am not very fond of the Taste...but if a add a little sweetener adn a bit of vanilla it tastes pretty good. One Of the Brands I tried I could really tasted the Fermentation...almost like I was drinking alcohol......Is this Normal? The Other Brand did not have this taste to it. The Other brand also said to Consume within 2 days of opening...any Idea why it would say that?

As For MAking Your own....How does the taste differ from Store Bought? and are there any Benefits to Making your own over store bought? other then cost.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #15
(male)

thebluedog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
bluedog,

I think the most commonly available "ready made" in the U.S. is the Helios brand. The few times I tried it, it was quite delicious. But pricey at $3.49 or so a quart.
Lenin,

I have been buying Lifeway brand kefir @ $2.99 per quart. My wife an I go through 1 every 2 days so it's getting expensive. I think it may be cheaper to make our own and it seems like there may be more probiotic benefits.
I had read somewhere that "store bought" kefir was only good for 2 days after opened, so I emailed the manufacturer to verify. Lifeway responded by saying that it was good until the expiration date on the bottle.

Last edited by thebluedog; 12-12-2005 at 10:30 PM.

Closed Thread