It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jonistyle2 HB User
Gaining Weight

Hey everybody,

I'm having some difficulties and i was wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions.

Basically (for those of you who don't already know), I'm working on kicking this darn eating disorder in the a$$, BUT i'm having a very, VERY difficult time gaining weight. I really don't understand why, so i was wondering if anyone could offer some ideas. Right now, I'm 122/123 pounds (i'm 6 feet tall) and i'm just stuck at that stinkin' low weight! I've always been thin-ish, but never THIS thin, so i don't think it's a "set point" thing, but maybe it is. (Before my eating disorder i always ranged from 135 to a little over 140 pounds, so 122 is A LOT lighter)

Anyway, for the past month i've been consuming 3000-3100 calories and my weight has not gone up AT ALL. I run 3 miles 4 days per week, and I work a desk job, and for the past two weeks i've been restricted from ANY walking at all and still, no weight gain. So in short: 6' tall, 122 lbs., female, 24 yrs. old, over 3000 calories per day and NO exercise except for 25 minute runs 4 days a week. What is going on?!?!?!

Any advice that anyone has (or even just a little support) or some suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. This just doesn't seem right, you know? I eat A LOT and I eat A LOT when i'm not at all hungry, so why can't i gain any stinkin' weight? I don't know . . . part of me is wondering if I should go into the doctor and get specifically checked for celiac disease, diabetes, thyroid, etc. -- anything that might explain why i'm having so much difficulty gaining weight. What do you all think? I had my "labs" run about two months ago -- is checking that stuff part of the "labs?" Please give me some advice, ideas, or just kind words if you've got them. I'm really getting frustrated here!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 08:59 AM   #2
(female)

s1mc7 HB User
Re: Gaining Weight

yes, i definitely think you should go see a doctor..that's A LOT of calories to be taking in without ANY weight gain.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

I find that this is pretty common with people recovering from EDs...their body almost goes into hypermetabolic mode where everything is burned. I assume by no walking you mean the running has also been cut out, so I don't think that is your problem. Reevaluate your diet to make sure youre actually getting in as much as you think, keep eating as much as youre supposed to (and maybe now you'll be more compelled to be more "free" with your eating...as in not watching every single calorie..given that you have a LOT of room to spare), and then try talking to a doctor about it. An alternative you also may try is adding some Boosts/Ensures to your day, on top of what youre eating, which wouldn't add bulk, just nutrients.

Good job so far and keep it up

Old 01-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Hi Joni,
Wow- I can't believe you are not gaining any weight on over 3000 calories. I think girlygirl is right about the hypermetabolic rate b/c I remember my nutritionist a while back telling me that that happens to a lot of people recovering from EDs. Apparently your body is just so excited, so to speak, to have food, that it just burns crazy amounts of calories. Try not exercising for as long (even though I know you've already cut back) and eating more fat-dense foods as opposed to just calorie-dense foods. Lots of peanut butter, avocados, salmon, or even just a chocolate bar if you want! Haha. Good luck. Pretty soon I imagine I'll be in the same boat as you (as far as recovery goes), but I'm not sure I'll have the same problem with gaining weight!!
L

Closed Thread