It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

reddoorblack HB User
Green Tea "Guarantee"

I received an email this morning (in my junk mail) that was selling a green tea drink mix of some sort. I didn't really pay too much attention to the product but was drawn to read an attachment that went on to describe how Oprah had a doctor on her program who "guarantees" if you replace your coffee with green tea for six weeks, you will lose 10 pounds.

I am a green tea drinker. I drink green tea all day long. Love it. Sit at my desk and sip it all day. I probably have at least 3-24 oz cups of it a day with water in between. I've been drinking it steady for at least a year and haven't noticed any dramatic weight loss. How can that doctor make that claim? Do you have to buy that particular drink mix to achieve those kinds of results? What do you all think of that?

Old 01-26-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
(male)

nedfrin HB User
Re: Green Tea "Guarantee"

maybe because coffee users overload their joe with sugar, cream, milk... or other powders. (starbucks says it all). dont see this happening with green tea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
(female)

Abby214 HB User

I don't know about a guarantee, but I drink green tea and have lost weight. It curbs my appetite, plus gives me energy...or makes me hyper.
I notice that there are a lot of OTC diet aids that have green tea in them.
I think I saw that Oprah, and I thought he said drinking the green tea would prolong your life because it is an antioxidant.

Drinking Red Bull will help you lose weight too.

Just my thoughts.

Abby

Old 01-27-2006, 06:38 AM   #4
(female)

Kaycee41 HB User

I saw that seg. on Oprah. Dr Perricone said that if you REPLACE coffee with green tea you would loose 8 lbs. in 3 weeks. Oprah said "you guarantee I'll loose 8 lbs?" And he said "Yes, I guarentee it". He said that coffee raises cortasal (sp?) levels which causes fat. Don't know if it's true or not.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddoorblack
I received an email this morning (in my junk mail) that was selling a green tea drink mix of some sort. I didn't really pay too much attention to the product but was drawn to read an attachment that went on to describe how Oprah had a doctor on her program who "guarantees" if you replace your coffee with green tea for six weeks, you will lose 10 pounds.

I am a green tea drinker. I drink green tea all day long. Love it. Sit at my desk and sip it all day. I probably have at least 3-24 oz cups of it a day with water in between. I've been drinking it steady for at least a year and haven't noticed any dramatic weight loss. How can that doctor make that claim? Do you have to buy that particular drink mix to achieve those kinds of results? What do you all think of that?
Hey,
They don't call it JUNK MAIL for nothing. It's a scam plain and simple...a SMALL scam but nevertheless a scam.
Green tea will help with weight loss to the extent that you drink it INSTEAD of eating or drinking something that is higher in calories. Replacing black coffee with green tea won't get you a one ounce weight loss in 10 years!
Quote:
How can that doctor make that claim?
Easy, you PAY him.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-27-2006 at 06:39 AM.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

Right On, Lenin!!

This is exactly what I thought when I first read this (and read all those "claims" floating around out there). Many people place false medical claims out there in order to claim fame and, well, money. You need to take everything that you see, read and hear with a grain (or two) of salt. Simply because it is endorsed by a TV personality, don't necessarily believe it. Do your own research. Find out the truth.

Also, remember that everyone is different, so we won't all have the same wonderful results from this prodict or that routine. We need to find what works uniquely well for each of us, and go with it. For example, one of my favorite mantras is: Everything in moderation.

~Colleen

Last edited by Musical_Muse; 01-28-2006 at 01:12 PM.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

As a big tea drinker (and a cup or two of coffee in the morning), I'm also very skeptical of this "scam."

Like other posters mentioned, if you replace green tea (or any tea) with little to no sweetener for heavily sugared drinks, sure, it might work.

I have weeks where I switch out my green tea for a nice rooibos or white or black or oolong, and I still have weight loss. I don't believe it has anything to do with the "tea." Possibly caffeine levels play into this, but I doubt it, since some of them are decaffeinated.

I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of that coffee, either. I'm hearing/reading more and more about the health benefits of a daily cup of java...hearing this from local, well-respected physicians I work with and reading publications from Harvard; not Oprah

Lysne

Old 01-28-2006, 03:17 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

Hi, Stenolady--

I also work around doctors and hear all sorts of things. I also hear things from people in passing/friends, read all sorts of things, and like to do my own research .

I think that you can pretty much make an argument that eating an over abundance of anything will eventually cause you to have ailments and problems. Conversely, trying to restrict yourself from a specific food will cause other problems.

Personally, I love to eat chocolate and drink the occasional caffienated drink. I also like to lay around on certain weekends just for the heck of it . I don't think that these things, done in moderation, will effect me greatly in the long term, so I'm not too concerned when I do them. Besides, research is always changing, so I don't tend to rely on it as much, either. It's fun to read, try, and then tweak to what I find to be a more healthy approach. It's all very Zen to me...

~Colleen

Last edited by Musical_Muse; 01-28-2006 at 03:23 PM.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:57 PM   #9
(male)

dand5 HB User

Green tea does enhance thermogenesis somewhat, which increases overall metabolism. It also inhibits the effects of nitric oxide which can prevent the body from breaking down stored fats. But my guess is that you need to drink a ton of green tea before these small impacts actually have a noticeable effect on your weight. So that leaves the only real effective solution to weight loss: varied/moderate diet + excercise.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:27 PM   #10
(female)

I.M HB User

Hey I am new to this web site. I was just wondering if any of you have lost any weight drinking green tea. Also I was wondering has any body heard of a diet called the Maggie Dozrd Method it says that you can lose up to 6-10 pounds in a week. Its hard to belive right? So if any one knows anything or has answers to my questions please write back to me. Thank YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

Old 02-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #11
(female)

FoodAddictee HB User

Lenin, you're awesome.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand5
Green tea does enhance thermogenesis somewhat, which increases overall metabolism. It also inhibits the effects of nitric oxide which can prevent the body from breaking down stored fats. But my guess is that you need to drink a ton of green tea before these small impacts actually have a noticeable effect on your weight. So that leaves the only real effective solution to weight loss: varied/moderate diet + excercise.

Absolutely!! It's too much fun and feels too good to pass up exercise anyway...especially playing tennis or jogging at the park. I LOVE IT!!

~Colleen

Old 02-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

Green Tea has been shown to Raise metabolism a bit. But Not enough to do anything on its own. Combined with the right diet and exercise it can help you lose a bit....how much? you cant really tell....jsut like any Supplement just because you lose weight using it doesnt mean it works or that you know how much it works...since you have now Idea how much you would have lost without it.

Personally I take Green Tea Extract every day. I have now Idea how much it helps with weight loss.....but it has many other benefits that it makes it worth taking.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #14
(female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermac
Green Tea has been shown to Raise metabolism a bit. But Not enough to do anything on its own. Combined with the right diet and exercise it can help you lose a bit....how much? you cant really tell....jsut like any Supplement just because you lose weight using it doesnt mean it works or that you know how much it works...since you have now Idea how much you would have lost without it.

Personally I take Green Tea Extract every day. I have now Idea how much it helps with weight loss.....but it has many other benefits that it makes it worth taking.
I agree. I take the extract also. 1 dropper is equal to 15 cups. Hey Pip how's the baby? I just got back from your neck of the woods. I had to fly to one of our companies in Canada on business for and Oracle 11i training. We were in Mississauga and and ate dinner in Port Credit on Lake Ontario at a place called Snug Harbor. I loved it.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:57 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

I cant imagine starting my early a.m. workouts without Green Tea. Also when your done drinking it squeeze the bags on your hands and rub it all over your face, neck and hands etc.. a great anti aging juice with all its polyphenols to retard aging from the outside.

Closed Thread