It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

powda87 HB User
Has anyone had success on the weight watchers diet?

Has anyone had success on the weight watchers diet?

Old 01-31-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Has anyone had success on the weight watchers diet?

Many have. There was a thread about it fairly recently down on the "Weight Loss" board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
(female)

JulieDe HB User

I did!! I started in May of 2004 and lost about 50#. Starting last Jan, it slower down considerably. I started to exercise in Aug of last year (hadn't up until then) and wanted to take the focus off of the scale and onto my health. I stopped going to meeting in Nov but still eat the same foods. I learned soooo much on WW. I just couldn't take the weigh in's anymore. But I highly recommend it to anyone. I do have to say it is a total lifestyle change. You have to be ready for you to succeed. It is all about eating healthy.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

powda,

If you include all those who succeed with calorie counting, you're really seeing the same methodology that Weight Watchers espouses and the numbers are legion.
Just take the calories in any food, divide by 50 and call it A POINT.
They made $$$Billions$$$ with this simple idea.

Calorie control by whatever means is really the ONLY means of weight control.

So instead of eating 1500 calories a day, you eat 30 POINTS...voila, Weight Watchers!

Reminds me of the wonderful song from Gypsy sung by the three strippers: "You Gotta Have a Gimmick!"

Last edited by Lenin; 02-02-2006 at 08:04 AM.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Gimmick is right. It is good it works for some people, but there are so many better alternatives than shelling out tons of $$ for this illusion.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Goodness. Imagine me, a low-carber, feeling compelled to defend WW!

powda, From the people I know who have succeeded, one of the pluses of WW was the meetings. They find them essential (personally, I would have found the weekly public weigh-ins mortifying . . . and not in a motivational way). The other thing is the structure. Some people like that and it helps them keep on track. So if it works, it's worth the money.

Though, if you think the meeting would be a helpful element, you could look into Over Eaters Anonymous.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I guess in the electronic world, bulletin boards and chat rooms can replace the "meetings" and save LOTS of money.

Perhaps a local organization sponsors a uselful group that talks out these things...YMCA, church group, or some such.

WW and LA Weightloss and their sisters can eat a LOT of money and not everybody has it to toss willy-nilly!

Last edited by Lenin; 02-03-2006 at 06:17 AM.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

For some people the internet can replace meetings; for some nothing will be as effective as human-to-human interaction. Everyone is different.

For some a plan that counts calories works - the idea resonates with them and they find tracking calories easy to do; for some it's counting fat grams; for some it's counting "points" or "exchanges"; for some it's ratios of food; for some it's counting carbs.

Does that mean that because someone counts fat grams, they are saying fat is evil? Does that mean that cause someone tracks carbs, they are saying carbs are evil? No. Everyone is different. Everyone has there different perspective. Everyone processes and absorbs information differently. We they "gimmicks". If one feels the need to look at things that way, perhaps they are. But wWe are not talking about single-food programs, sipping some "magic" liquid, popping pills, or replacing two meals with overly processed cereal after all. So, so what?

Perhaps someone takes a plan more serious exactly because they are putting a little money into it; that's a motivating factor for them. There are certainly many more frivolous ways to dispense of money.

So that leaves everyone deciding how they will interact with others in this internet community of ours. Do we see our role in a "support" community to cut down something because it is not what we would do?

Old 02-05-2006, 02:17 AM   #9
(male)

justinluck HB User

How much is Weight Watchers? My girlfriend is on Nutrisystem and it doesn't seem very expensive considering all the food she gets. She has 35 days of food, 3 prepared meals and a snack a day, for $289. That works out to less than $9 a day, or less than $3 a meal. Try beating that at the grocery store. Not to mention the time and energy it would take to prepare a complex meal such as the ones provided by NS. I think the people who talk down about Weight Watchers and Nutrisystem haven't even tried them, so they really have no clue. Just preconceived notions.

Last edited by justinluck; 02-05-2006 at 02:21 AM.

Closed Thread