It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
(female)

vegathlete HB User
Question Vegan newbie - Is this bloating normal??

Okay so I've been a vegan for about 3 months now. However, somewhere along the way I got lazy and ended up living off of cereal and occasionally a vegan microwave dinner. I finally got fed up with myself, and have been putting some real effort towards eating a variety of healthy, vegan friendly foods. For a week straight I've been incorporating fresh fruits and veggies in just about every meal and snack. I figured I might notice a little change in how my body feels the first couple days... but this whole week I have been bloating really bad!! My bowel movements have been fine and overall I feel pretty darn good since my diet has been healthy, but this bloating is getting very uncomfortable. I've been wearing baggy shirts to cover it up too cause it's pretty noticable. It's already been a whole week that I've been eating this way... how long is this bloating going to last? Not to mention (as embarassing as it is) I've had pretty bad gas and gas pains as well. Does anybody know how long this will go on? I didn't think my body would react this way since I was already eating a vegan diet anyway--just not incorporating the right variety of foods.

If it'll help, here's a comparison of the way I was eating to the way I started eating this past week...

Before:

breakfast: coffee and oatmeal w/ flaxseed
snack: granola
lunch: cereal with soy milk
snack: peanut butter crackers, sometimes apple w/ peanut butter
dinner: veggie burger or a tofu product
snack: granola or cereal

Now:

breakfast: coffee and oatmeal w/ flaxseed, or soy yogurt
snack: apple or celery with peanut butter, sometimes just nuts
lunch: spinach, soup, various other veggies
snack: fruits or veggies
dinner: tofurky sandwich on pita bread with spinach and other veggies
snack: fruit, sometimes cereal w/ soy milk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2006, 07:07 PM   #2

llamamuffinmama HB User
Re: Vegan newbie - Is this bloating normal??

you are probably just adjusting to getting more (enough) fiber in your diet since you started adding so many more fruits and veggies last week. stick with it, your body will adjust, and you'll start feeling really good!

Old 02-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
(female)

Vixen541 HB User

yeah I went through that when I started eating that way too. Give it a few weeks. And if you find yourself eating something you aren't used to any more, like pie or cookies, that makes me sick every time now too since i don't eat processed foods or sugars anymore.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
(female)

vegathlete HB User

Thanks for the replies Good to know that what I'm going through is normal. I guess I'll just have to wait it out and hopefully it'll go away soon. In the mean time I'll continue to load up on fruits and veggies ^_^

Old 02-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jonistyle2 HB User

yeah, i think you're okay. i'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but i enjoy cooking vegetarian meals sometimes and a lot of them give me REALLY bad bloating and gas (even though they're so good!). I eat lots of fruits and veggies as is and i do get bloated kind of a lot . . . i think some people's bodies are just more prone to it. Keep up what you're doing so you can adjust, but don't push it too far. Your diet looks great, but feel free to sub a little more "less-fiberous" stuff for now so your body can adjust slowly. then as it adjusts, slowly add more fruits and veggies. nothing that makes you feel AWFUL all the time can be good/healthy for your body, you know what i mean? I'm not saying your diet is bad (it's VERY healthy and good!) but jumping full force into something new and shocking your body is never good either. have your "goal" diet in mind, and then take small steps and a couple weeks to get there. i guarantee you'll feel better in no time (and GREAT when you achieve that super-veg diet!)

Old 02-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
(female)

HeyKD HB User

You have a fair amount of soy products in your diet. That causes a lot of gas not to mention it is not the best source of protein and it's not very digestible.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
(female)

vegathlete HB User

Woah I didn't know that. I eat a LOT of soy products... what could I replace that with? I've stuck with tofu as a meat replacement and haven't tried any others... maybe I should branch out a bit? How much soy a day is too much?

Old 02-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
(female)

HeyKD HB User

I'm not a vegan, but if I had to be I'd live on lentils the rest of my life

There are many myths out there broadcasted by the soy industry. One is that soy has been consumed in Japan for centuries. It has not. They've only recently added it to their diet AFTER they figured out how to ferment it to rid it of it's toxic properties. This would be fermented Miso and Natto.

Do a websearch on soy and read the articles from soy sites that do not sell soy. There is also a good book out about soy too. Because of that I just decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #9

llamamuffinmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyKD
You have a fair amount of soy products in your diet. That causes a lot of gas not to mention it is not the best source of protein and it's not very digestible.
I eat soy regularly, almost daily, and have for years. I've never found it to cause bloating. I bloat if I eat tons of refined carbohydrates and lots of salt. Broccoli and beans also occasionally get me bloated, but not frequently. I am used to eating plenty of fiber at this point.

About soy not being a good source of protein, that isn't true. Soy is a complete protein and contains every essential amino acid.

As I said, I have never had problems digesting soy. For people who do have trouble digesting the more heavily processed forms like tofu and soy "meats", tempeh and miso (fermented soy) are often recommended as more easily digestible.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

Soy works great for some peole but for others like me it makes me bloat like crazy and have water retention. They say it is worse on the body if it is chemically compounded like made into little crunchies in cereal. I know it is not good for me mabie that might be whay you are booating, take it out of your diet for a week then try it again.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #11
(female)

HeyKD HB User

LLamamu; I did mention that the best form of soy to eat is through natto and miso. It is a known fact that soy can be hard on the stomach for most people. If someone complains about bloating and I see soy in their diet, 9 out of 10 times soy is the culprit.

I tried to find the link about soy not being the best form of protein but came across so many negative links about soy, the commercial ways it's processed to make it "naturally healthy", the estrogens, thyroid issues, etc that I just quit looking. There are so many other things wrong with soy besides it not being the best form of protein that one can research that for themselves. Big controversy.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:24 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Lance0204 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegathlete
Now:

breakfast: coffee and oatmeal w/ flaxseed, or soy yogurt
snack: apple or celery with peanut butter, sometimes just nuts
lunch: spinach, soup, various other veggies
snack: fruits or veggies
dinner: tofurky sandwich on pita bread with spinach and other veggies
snack: fruit, sometimes cereal w/ soy milk
looks like you need more protein. try having a bean burrito for lunch or something similar..tofurkey is ok i guess but that stuff would stay in my stomach forever so i stopped having it. you could also incorporate more beans/lentils and that sort of stuff in there too. focus on adding more protein, very important.

Old 02-09-2006, 08:35 AM   #13
(female)

vegathlete HB User

Thanks so much for all the help! It seems that I'm not bloating as much. I'm doing better throughout the day but at night I bloat a bit more. I'm going to add some more protein to my diet and I also want to try cutting down my soy intake and see if that helps. Perhaps I'm just sensitive to soy products. We'll see... I am doing better though! ^_^

Closed Thread