It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Road Snacks

Does anybody have any good ideas on snacks when traveling. I travel alot on the weekends (about 300 miles) each way to visit relatives and its tempting to eat fast food when driving can be boring. I do bring a bag of apples and usually drink v-8 when stopping for gas at an convience store along the interstate. Any ideas would be appreciated..

Old 02-15-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Road Snacks

Nuts, lite popcorn, shakes, wasabi peas, crystal lite or sugar free Kool Ade with stevia or your sweetener of choice, carrot sticks, celery etc. I do 2k mile road trips a couple times a year, so I feel your pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Yup... carrot sticks and apples are great because they are crunchy and help keep you awake. Cereal, like cheerios or kix, is good.

When I'm driving and actually want to stop for a meal, I usually go for subway or wendy's (plain baked potato and a side salad).

If you are actually trying to shop for food in the gas station, there's string cheese, animal crackers, fruit, those cracker and peanut butter sandwiches, trail mix (watch the size).... It's definitely a challenge to find much of anything worth eating in those places, though! We drove from Arizona to Michigan and at snacks and lunch from gas stations and such along the way... Some of those obscure places in the middle of Iowa don't have anything healthy, let alone vegetarian... But they were selling fried pig's ears (or something horribly ridiculous like that). I had crackers and granola bars in the car, and supplemented with cheese and trail mix and fruit that I bought along the way.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Right on guys thanks !! You all rule !!!

Old 02-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jonistyle2 HB User

yeah, they all had some great suggestions, so i really don't have much to add! apples and carrots and a HUGE bottle of water are some of my fav's. roadside, i have a weakness for diet coke out of the fountain . . . it's so good and then you still get to buy something! also, if you need a meal, you could invest in a little tiny cooler thing (dorky, i know, but it works!) and pack up a sandwich or whatever you want! i actually do that kind of a lot and it works really well. but yeah, all the nuts, pretzels, dried fruits, granola bars, etc. that everyone else mentioned are great. i just make sure to pre-divide them into bags before i go so i just have one serving packages! have fun!

Old 02-16-2006, 05:10 PM   #6
(female)

FoodAddictee HB User

Soy crisps are great and low in calories

Old 02-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
(female)

Selene71 HB User

I like to chew on beef jerky while traveling. And I agree about the soy crisps--they're delicious!

Closed Thread