It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
(male)

Neofree HB User
Diet Coke vs. Regular Coke

I used to drink coffee and 3-4 sodas per day but quit coffee and now drink 1-2 sodas per day. I currently drink Diet Coke and am wondering if I am better off drinking regular Coke. The reason I ask is that some people have told me that Diet soda is bad for you because of the chemicals used to simulate sugar. As a regular coke is only 140 calories it surprisingly doesn't seem too bad or against my diet to just drink regular Coke. Any comments?

Thanks,

Neofree

Old 02-19-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
(female)

Sibyle~ HB User
Re: Diet Coke vs. Regular Coke

Diet sodas are filled with chemicals that have been shown to degrade the myelin sheath around nerves and in your brain. Aspartame also leaches vitamins from your body. So over time, you can be doing some serious damage to your body.

Sugar is a carcinogen and over time can cause cancer. It really is best to not drink any soda at all, but if you must have it I would say drink the sugared stuff. Just remember, everything in moderation!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2006, 06:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Neofree, you are FAR better off drinking 2 Diet Cokes than 2 Regular ones unless you are trying to fatten up.

Old 02-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

I agree with lenin. You are saving calories. Even if diet soda is worse for you than regular (which I SERIOUSLY doubt it is, look on the side of the can, there are chemicals in regular too), drinking 1 or 2 cans a day is not enough to do any real damage I wouldn't think.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
(male)

sammyboy22 HB User

Its weird. I don't really think about the chemicals in diet coke when I drink it. I try to cut down just because my dentist has told me the acidity is way bad for my teeth, and I want to have nice teeth when I am older. I try to limit my diet coke but it is a daily struggle....

Old 02-20-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Why don't you try drinking other pops, like maybe diet iced tea, flavoured water, water itself (or water mixed with some crystal light or something), etc. They have less acidity and are no worse then your current beverages of choice..

Old 02-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
(male)

MX_Ivanko HB User

Let's look at all the fun things that have been reported to the FDA because of the intake of Aspartame(found in Diet Coke) The 92 health effects reported to the FDA are: abdominal pain, anxiety attacks, arthritis, asthma, asthmatic reactions, bloating/edema, blood sugar control problems (hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia), brain cancer (Pre-approval studies in animals), breathing difficulties, burning eyes or throat, burning urination, inability to think clearly, chest pains, chronic cough, chronic fatigue, confusion, death, depression, diarrhea, dizziness, excessive thirst or hunger, fatigue, feeling 'unreal', flushing of face, hair loss (baldness) or thinning of hair, headaches/migraines, hearing loss, heart palpitations, hives (Urticaria), hypertension (high blood pressure), impotency and sexual problems, inability to concentrate, infection susceptibility, insomnia, irritability, itching, joint pains, laryngitis, "like thinking in a fog," marked personality changes, memory loss, menstrual problems or changes, muscle spasms, nausea or vomiting, numbness or tingling of extremities, other allergic-like reactions, panic attacks, phobias, poor memory, rapid heartbeat, rashes, seizures and convulsions, slurring of speech, swallowing pain, tachycardia, tremors, tinnitus, vertigo, vision loss, and weight gain.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
(female)

Bev92 HB User

MX... I'm with you on that one!

Old 02-25-2006, 07:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Ivanko,

Where exactly does the FDA list these 92 ailments what were reported to it. I've scoured the FDA site and see no mention about it.
If I write to the FDA and tell them that I think aspartame use for 2 decades made me need reading glasses upon reaching age 60 would that change the number to 93?

Old 02-25-2006, 08:27 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

The problem with that list of side effect is not that they were caused by the soda, they occured while the subject drank the soda.
For example if someone is in an auto accident and has bruising and they were is a drug trial, bruising would be listed as a side effect, because they don't go through and try to explain all the symptoms.
I can get a rash from drinking soda because I am allergic to potassium benzoate, but it is not really caused by soda.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:16 AM   #11
(male)

thebluedog HB User

You really shouldn't drink either type of Coke. Sugar is the root cause (over time) of most health problems and artificial sweetners are just as bad.

ASPARTAME is, by far, the most dangerous substance on the market that is added to foods. Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death as recently disclosed in a February 1994 Department of Health and Human Services report.(1) A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include:
Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.

According to researchers and physicians studying the adverse effects of aspartame, the following chronic illnesses can be triggered or worsened by ingesting of aspartame2)
Brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, parkinson's disease, alzheimer's, mental retardation, lymphoma, birth defects, fibromyalgia, and diabetes.

Aspartame is made up of three chemicals: Aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol. The book, Prescription for Nutritional Healing, by James and Phyllis Balch, lists aspartame under the category of "chemical poison."

In summary here are ways that refined SUGAR can affect your health:
• Sugar can suppress the immune system.
• Sugar can upset the body's mineral balance.
• Sugar can contribute to hyperactivity, anxiety, depression, concentration difficulties, and crankiness in children.
• Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
• Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
• Sugar can reduce helpful high density cholesterol (HDLs).
• Sugar can promote an elevation of harmful cholesterol (LDLs).
• Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.
• Sugar contributes to a weakened defense against bacterial infection.
• Sugar can cause kidney damage.
• Sugar can increase the risk of coronary heart disease.
• Sugar may lead to chromium deficiency.
• Sugar can cause copper deficiency.
• Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
• Sugar can increase fasting levels of blood glucose.
• Sugar can promote tooth decay.
• Sugar can produce an acidic stomach.
• Sugar can raise adrenaline levels in children.
• Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.
• Sugar can speed the aging process, causing wrinkles and grey hair.
• Sugar can increase total cholesterol.
• Sugar can contribute to weight gain and obesity.
• High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.
• Sugar can contribute to diabetes.
• Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
• Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.
• Sugar leads to decreased glucose tolerance.
• Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.
• Sugar can increase systolic blood pressure.
• Sugar causes food allergies.
• Sugar can cause free radical formation in the bloodstream.
• Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
• Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.
• Sugar can overstress the pancreas, causing damage.
• Sugar can cause atherosclerosis.
• Sugar can compromise the lining of the capillaries.
• Sugar can cause liver cells to divide, increasing the size of the liver.
• Sugar can increase the amount of fat in the liver.
• Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney.
• Sugar can cause depression.
• Sugar can increase the body's fluid retention.
• Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance.
• Sugar can cause hypertension.
• Sugar can cause headaches, including migraines.
• Sugar can cause an increase in delat, alpha and theta brain waves, which can alter the mind's ability to think clearly.
• Sugar can increase blood platelet adhesiveness which increases risk of blood clots and strokes.
• Sugar can increase insulin responses in those consuming high-sugar diets compared to low sugar diets.
• Sugar increases bacterial fermentation in the colon.

Drinking WATER is best!

Last edited by thebluedog; 02-26-2006 at 07:21 AM.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #12
(female)

Bev92 HB User

Amen to that, Bluedog!

Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:46 PM   #13
(male)

thebluedog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev92
Amen to that, Bluedog!

Thanks for sharing.
My pleasure. Bev, I remember you from our discussion regarding kefir. I'm still drinking it daily. I still need to order some organic coconut water. Kefir and coconut water are much beter for you than coke or diet coke.
You seem to be a healthy person. What are some of your other favorite health foods? And what's in your typical diet?

Old 02-27-2006, 07:24 PM   #14
(female)

Bev92 HB User

Bluedog..I remember you too. Still drinking kefir also, I love it, it's such a good replacement from other drinks.
I'd have to say that for my other favorite health foods, pretty much anything organic. I buy these raw living food bars..you can get them in omega 3's or spirulina which are grain/sugar-free. Nature's Best Greens by Dr. Ben Kim, it's an amazing drink that has almost every veggie/fruit in it. My diet consists of organic grass-fed (or omega 3) eggs, homemade veggie soup, wild salmon, homemade fruit smoothies (I love drinks as you can tell)..etc. I'm really particular on what I eat and I'd never dream of drinking anything artificial like diet sodas and crystal light or any of that. What's your diet like?

Last edited by moderator2; 02-27-2006 at 07:28 PM. Reason: if a word is asterisked out, then it is not allowed - please edit your post to remove it

Old 02-28-2006, 05:55 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

My daily kefir rolls on and on.
My next project is to take some grains that I had thrown into the deep freeze 5 years ago (under powdered milk) and see if I can resurrrect them.

I drink my kefir once a day but with dinner enjoy a can of Diet soda and my mornings are filled with aspartamed or cyclamated coffee.
The saturated fat and calorie considerations of the kefir keep it to once a day.

God, and my waistline, bless the artificial sweetners. Without them, life would be less pleasant...and fattening.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-28-2006 at 05:55 AM.

Closed Thread