It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User
The term 'Natural Flavors' that is used on a lot of food labels?

I was wondering what the words 'Natural Flavors' that are on food labels actually mean? What are the rules that apply to those words? Cause I wasn't sure if the Natural Flavors are always natural or not. I think food manufacturers should be required to specifically list all the Natural Flavors, on their food labels.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: The term 'Natural Flavors' that is used on a lot of food labels?

What they mean are they are chemicals that mimic "natural flavors." It's a cruel misnomer that really means "unnatural flavoring agents."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2006, 06:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Sorry I can't give specifics, but I have read on other lists that there is a LOT of leeway on what it can include. For one, I have heard it can include MSG.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

The exact definition of natural flavorings & flavors from Title 21, Section 101, part 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations is as follows:

"The term natural flavor or natural flavoring means the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional."

So yeah, pretty much anything that's been approved for use in food but is functioning as flavoring rather than nutritional.

However, note that it does have to be derived (in some way) from natural sources, so in some remote way, they are natural.

I think that MSG is usually (if not required to be) listed separately, because many people are sensitive to this ingredient.

The reason that they don't list the specifics isn't because they are trying to hide something that is bad for you. It's more to protect their secret formulas and exact flavoring recipes.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehorner
I think that MSG is usually (if not required to be) listed separately, because many people are sensitive to this ingredient.
It is not required to be listed separately. Whether it "usually" is, I don't know, but certainly not always. There are plenty of websites listing terminology that shows up in ingredient lists that can be hiding MSG.

Oh, how I wish I could believe it were just a matter of wanting to hide secret formulas. Unfortunately, I've read to much about how the food industry operates.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Thanks for the replies. I've noticed that some foods and drinks have citric acid added to them, to act as a preservative. I thought that citric acid was natural, but I've read that there are chemical forms of citric acid also?

Old 02-21-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

I've often wondered about citric acid and sodium citrate. Is it chemically extracted the way grapefruit seed extract (preservative) is? If so, it could contain residual chemicals the way grapefruit seed extract retains ammonium.

I also saw on the news last month that "natural colors" could refer to ground up beetles. Some people have had allergic reactions to it.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

gort,

For the last 100 years the method of manufacture employed to make citric acid is based on the fact that strains of mold will make it from table sugar:

Quote:
In this production technique, which is still the major industrial route to citric acid used today, cultures of Aspergillus ***** are fed on sucrose to produce citric acid. After the mold is filtered out of the resulting solution, citric acid is isolated by precipitating it with lime (calcium hydroxide) to yield calcium citrate salt, from which citric acid is regenerated by treatment with sulfuric acid.

Alternatively, citric acid is sometimes isolated from the fermentation broth by extraction with a hydrocarbon solution of the organic base trilaurylamine, followed by re-extraction from the organic solution by water.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #9
(female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

you best bet it to read the label and my general rule of thumb is if i cannot pronounce it I don't eat it. All Natural flavors means nothing to me..Lisa

Closed Thread