It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
(female)

mops41288 HB User
Question Bread and pasta craving

Since starting my new low cal diet, Ive had the strongest craving for breads and pasta. Mostly bread, its like I cant get enough of it. I could easily go through a loaf of bread a day (never have, but I could) Why do I get these cravings and how can I stop them? Thank you

Old 02-22-2006, 04:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: Bread and pasta craving

If you're doing low-cal, why can't you eat bread and pasta? I keep track of calories and eat both.

Pepperidge Farm has some wonderful light low-cal breads. I eat two slices per day of the light oatmeal bread

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2006, 05:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I spent 18 months dreaming of pasta when I did the Atkins diet. Literally, I actually DREAMED about eating lasagna while I slept.

So I ate more fat to make the feeling go away.

I know, NUTSY BEHAVIOR!

Old 02-22-2006, 07:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jonistyle2 HB User

i don't know, so don't take my advice as "law;" however, when i don't eat enough (ie: not enough calories in general), i crave carbs intensely. i don't do "low-carb" by any means, so it's not a problem, but when my body needs instant food, it wants carbs. could it be that you've cut your calories too far maybe? again, i don't really know, but i know this is what happens for me. i think it's because carbohydrates are instantly filling and raise our blood sugars relatively quickly, so when the body is starving, it craves them. again, i'm not sure on this (anyone feel free to correct me if you want!), but basically, maybe you aren't eating enough in general and that's why you are craving "instant energy" foods like bread. just a thought . . .

Old 02-22-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

How long have you been on the new plan? Just to clarify . . . you do mean "low cal" not "low carb"? Are you eating a lot less bread/pasta than previously? Presuming they are wheat products (are they white also?), have you ever considered you might have some kind of wheat sensitivity?

Old 02-22-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
(female)

mops41288 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenoLady1
If you're doing low-cal, why can't you eat bread and pasta? I keep track of calories and eat both.

Pepperidge Farm has some wonderful light low-cal breads. I eat two slices per day of the light oatmeal bread
Ive had problems trying to find low cal pasta. I didnt know about Pepperidge Farm having low cal bread, I'll have to look into that. I do eat some pasta and bread but I always want more. Ive been on this diet off and on for almost a year usually around 925 calories a day. Mostly Im just trying to maintain weight loss but recently Ive been slacking off a lot so I went down to 850 calories a day. I know this is pretty low but Im not very physically active and dont really do a lot.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

It sounds like you are not eating enough calories to keep steady blood sugar levels. Cravings usually mean one of 2 things, that we are deficient in something or that there is an overgrowth of the yeast population throughout the intestines and yeast lives on sugar and starch. You can also crave things that you are allergic to. Cravings for chocolate point to magnesium deficiency, etc. So, since your calorie count is so low you probably don't have a yeast overgrowth because they need a lot of sugar to multiply.

Three things I know of that can help with cravings are:
acidophilus
raw cider vinegar (a teaspoon in a glass of water)
Yerba Mate tea (tastes like smoke but it has compounds in it that regulate blood sugar, appetite, has MAO inhibitors in it, and stops cravings). It also has 24 vitamins/minerals and 15 amino acids.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jonistyle2 HB User

i didn't realize you were eating so little! well, now i'm confident in my answer: you're craving that stuff cuz your body is STARVING for some energy with which to sustain itself! i'd really recommend getting into a doctor/nutritionist to work on your diet. you can really mess with your vital organs by eating that little. unless you're 4'3'', 850-925 calories a day is not nearly enough for anyone . . .

Old 02-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gort
It sounds like you are not eating enough calories to keep steady blood sugar levels. Cravings usually mean one of 2 things, that we are deficient in something or that there is an overgrowth of the yeast population throughout the intestines and yeast lives on sugar and starch. You can also crave things that you are allergic to. Cravings for chocolate point to magnesium deficiency, etc. So, since your calorie count is so low you probably don't have a yeast overgrowth because they need a lot of sugar to multiply.

Three things I know of that can help with cravings are:
acidophilus
raw cider vinegar (a teaspoon in a glass of water)
Yerba Mate tea (tastes like smoke but it has compounds in it that regulate blood sugar, appetite, has MAO inhibitors in it, and stops cravings). It also has 24 vitamins/minerals and 15 amino acids.
What else does raw cider vinegar do gort? It seems like i have seen it quite a few times on other boards too. Do oyu know what all people take it for?

Old 02-22-2006, 01:26 PM   #10
(female)

ruby-red HB User

hello
Cider vinegar is good for everything, it stopped my acid reflux, which was bad, it helps take out bad acid, that can cause arthritis etc, its just kinda like a good cleanser to the old body.! A good sart to the day is a glass of warm water,mix in a dollop of natural honey and and a splash of cider vinegar, then at bed, honey and water, the honey 'supposedly" cleanses out your liver, so while you are sleeping your liver is ridding itself off toxins and increasing your metabolism. While you sleep !!
Ruby

Old 02-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mops41288
Ive had problems trying to find low cal pasta. I didnt know about Pepperidge Farm having low cal bread, I'll have to look into that. I do eat some pasta and bread but I always want more. Ive been on this diet off and on for almost a year usually around 925 calories a day. Mostly Im just trying to maintain weight loss but recently Ive been slacking off a lot so I went down to 850 calories a day. I know this is pretty low but Im not very physically active and dont really do a lot.
Mops, this isn't healthy at all. You need to be eating more than 925 calories a day, and somewhere deep down inside, I think you know it. Your response sounded way too familiar, and now I remember you posting a couple months ago. You should see an ED professional ASAP before you really hurt yourself. You're way too young to be doing this to your body. Get the proper professional help you need and take care of yourself...please.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #12
(female)

mops41288 HB User

I have seen a Dr. who made me put on weight back in October. I went from 85 lbs to 100 lbs and still considered "underweight" The weight gain really bothers me. Ive never been a really heavy person I guess, Ive never been past 105 lbs. I dont know if I have an ED, sometimes I'll eat like a "normal" person but feel guilty about what I ate afterwords. Ive been really slacking off on my diet lately and Im hating myself for that. Its like I'll do 850 cal/day for 3 days then give in and eat a whole lot the next day. Then I make up for that day by only doing 660 cal/day.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:32 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mops, you're eating half the calories you should be just to maintain what should be your normal weight. 5'3, 18 years old, your ideal weight, depending on frame, should be between 110 and 140, not 100 pounds -- and certainly not 85!!! Just to maintain 110 pounds is around 1,600 to 1,700 calories per day. You're not heavy, and you don't need to diet or lose weight or worry about what's "normal."

Considering you need to put on a few pounds, for goodness sake, go eat some pasta! Dunk some bread in the sauce! Put some fresh veggies on it, some olive oil, fresh garlic & parm, some chicken or whatever else you like and enjoy. You are much too young to be depriving yourself and starving yourself. You're craving foods for a reason. Listen to your body.

Good luck

Lysne

Old 02-23-2006, 06:36 AM   #14
(female)

stephanieadams HB User

It sounds like you do most likely have an eating disorder, given the fact that you adhere to such a strict caloric intake and then end up bingeing and in turn feel guilty about the food that you ate. I feel for you....I really do. I have been struggling with the same pattern for years. I started talking to a therapist a couple of years ago and I am slowly starting to accept myself more and like the person that I am. We don't talk much about the "eating disorder" itself - that is really just the manifestation of my self-loathing and lack of self-esteem. I think that it would be beneficial for you to talk to someone if you aren't already. A professional that you are comfortable with can make all of the difference. I still struggle with my weight issues and feel "fat" most of the time (I'm 5'8" and a size 5), but I am able to talk myself out of it and realize that it is just my dysmorfic view of myself. I don't know if you realize it or not, but by eating so few calories you are causing your metabolism to slow down and that everything you eat will be stored as fat as your body's way of preparing itself for starvation. If you eat every 3 hours your body will burn more calories because it knows that food will be coming soon and it doesn't need to store fat. It's not easy as you know. Look at it this way instead....do you want to live or die? If you keep abusing your body the way you are your vital organs will shut down and you will eventually die. Remember Terry Schaivo? Her coma was a result of an eating disorder. You are so young I hate to see you endure this way with so much inner turmoil for the next 20 years or more...I'm 38 now and I am divorced with 3 young children. It's so much harder to try and work through all of this when your my age and overwhelmed by responsiblity. Please help yourself now so that you may enjoy the years to come. Don't be ashamed of it either - realize that this is a disease that needs to be treated. Take care.

Closed Thread