It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 06:39 AM   #1
(female)

Selene71 HB User
Beef Jerky for Protein?

I eat beef jerky every day for lunch--I usually eat toast or cereal for breakfast, and tuna/chicken and veggies for dinner, totalling about 1000 calories per day. Is beef jerky ok to eat on a diet with weight loss as the goal? I also take Lipovarin and drink 3 liters of water throughout the day. I'm concerned about the sodium, but I know that I need more protein in my diet and this seems to be an easy way to get it.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:47 AM   #2
(female)

stephanieadams HB User
Re: Beef Jerky for Protein?

Beef jerky doesn't really have that much protein in it, but it does have a ton of sodium. Try a protein shake like Myoplex or some turkey breast (try to get the low sodium kind) or better yet - cook a fresh turkey at the beginning of the week and pick off it throughout the week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
(female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene71
I eat beef jerky every day for lunch--I usually eat toast or cereal for breakfast, and tuna/chicken and veggies for dinner, totalling about 1000 calories per day. Is beef jerky ok to eat on a diet with weight loss as the goal? I also take Lipovarin and drink 3 liters of water throughout the day. I'm concerned about the sodium, but I know that I need more protein in my diet and this seems to be an easy way to get it.
A 1/4lb of beef jerky is 48 grms of protein however unless purchased at a health food store or made yourself it could contain high amounts of nitrates, sodium and MSG (monosodium glutamate) which can counter act your weight loss goals. I make my own and it is a great snack and gives me the protein I need for bodybuilding. Another good one is skinless chicken strips dipped in egg whites then grated parm & chopped almonds and then fried in peanut oil. Great snack to graze on throughout a workout day. I think your calories are too low also..Lisa

Old 02-25-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
(female)

jade112 HB User

Lisa......

I love love love beef jerkey & turkey jerkey!! I also enjoy cooking but I have NO idea how I would even start to make jerkey Would you post how you make it? I would totally love to give it a try.

Thanks a Mucho!
-Jade

Old 02-26-2006, 05:25 AM   #5
(female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

QUOTE=jade112]Lisa......

I love love love beef jerkey & turkey jerkey!! I also enjoy cooking but I have NO idea how I would even start to make jerkey Would you post how you make it? I would totally love to give it a try.

Thanks a Mucho!
-Jade[/QUOTE]

Sure... I don't use measurements so sorry for not being accurate. You want to use enough of everything to cover meat.I buy a london broil steak slice it thin and marinate it over night in liquid smoke about 3-4 tblsp, 3 cloves of crushed garlic, onion powder, black pepper, ancho chili powder, low sodium soy sauce, slpash of red wine, splash of worchestire sauce, 3 splashes of tabasco, 2 tblsp of balsalmic vinegar. I have a smoker from Ron Popeil and it has like 7 layers. you lay them out on the smoker over night until they are dried to jerkey consistency. If you do not have a smoker you can stick tooth picks in them and hang them from your racks in your oven put your oven on very low like around 175 and smoke them until they are dried about 18 hrs maybe. Be prepared to have you house smelling like a smoked jerkey factory. We now smoke ours in our shed so not to smell up the house.,,good luck, Lisa

Old 02-26-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

It isn't bad but there are ways to get protein while getting less fat.
An ounce of beef jerky provides 116 calories of which 65 come from fat...and 9.4 grams of protein...and 627 mg. sodium (not good if you have blood pressure issues.)

Selene,
How much jerky do you eat for lunch?

Old 02-26-2006, 09:39 AM   #7
(female)

BeachLvr58 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
It isn't bad but there are ways to get protein while getting less fat.
An ounce of beef jerky provides 116 calories of which 65 come from fat...and 9.4 grams of protein...and 627 mg. sodium (not good if you have blood pressure issues.)

Selene,
How much jerky do you eat for lunch?
For a bodybuilder like myself it's a quick excellent source of lean protein in where I choose the cut of meat and the sodium. I cook enough meals throughout the day to keep my diet on point so beef jerkey for a quick fix is awesome as long as it's not store bought..Also deer & turkey jerkey is awesome..Lisa

Old 02-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User

Not to veer off topic but..1000 Cals a day? That's a very low level to be eating at regardless of how healthy the food is. You shoudl be eating at least 1500 to maintain a healthy weight..

Old 02-27-2006, 08:22 AM   #9
(female)

Selene71 HB User

Thanks for the good feedback! I love the stuff, and I realize that it's not the best thing for me (I do have high blood pressure and taking meds for it).

Thanks for posting the recipe for homemade jerky and providing another source of protein--I'll give it a try.

Lenin--I eat about 2 oz. a day.

As for the low calories I'm consuming--yes, I know it's not enough, but I really am trying to eat little snacks every couple hours. I'm just not hungry since taking Lipovarin. I'll try harder.

Closed Thread