It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
(female)

kristymarie87 HB User
Red face Im too Skinny!

Can someone help me im a 18 year old girl and im just over 7 stone.
I am 5ft 6inches tall so this makes me very underweight.

Im fed up of people saying i have an eating disorder because i havn't.
My Appetite isn't massive but i eat 3 meals per day and loads of snacks in-between meals.

I dont like alot of food such as tomatos, pasta etc but i try to be adventurous. I get full up easily and i cannot burp but soon after im hungry again.

I long for feminine curves and boobs would be great!!
I could eat take-away for weeks and not put any weight on!

Help Me!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jonistyle2 HB User
Re: Im too Skinny!

oh sweetie, try not to worry about it! i'm sure you're absolutely beautiful the way you are. unfortunately, we can't make our bodies be anything they don't want to be. heavier people can't get stick skinny and skinny girls can't get big and curvy. but that's okay! you just have to accept that you're a little on the skinnier side right now. keep eating all the good foods you love and don't try to "stuff" yourself. just eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full. as you get older, you may put on a little weight or you may not. it's really not worth worrying about ... kind of like wishing you were taller or shorter, you know?

ps - i've got a teensy tiny chest too and although i do have some hips, i don't have much of a waistline. definitely more of that "boy" shaped body, you know? but i've just come to accept that i'll never be curvy and vivacious and that's okay! just love what you've got and don't stress about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
(female)

kristymarie87 HB User
Talking Re: Im too Skinny!

fanx 4 ur post it actually made me feel better! I just hate it when people accuse me of having an eating disorder coz its not my fault!

Old 04-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
(female)

kristymarie87 HB User

please someone reply to this. i went to the doctors and ive lost weight. im now 98lbs n my bmi is 15.8 so im really under weight. what do i do now?

Old 04-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Anybody can gain weight, or loss weight (short of a serious medical condition that prohibits it). You have to consistantly consume more calories then you burn. Try to consume around 2300 calories a day. Eat often. Every couple hours, but eat healthy. Eating junk food (take out) is going to do nothing but lead to health complications down the road. Consume lots of whole grain breads, meat, fruit, vetables, whole milk, and tons of nuts! I would also throw in some weight lifting at least 3 times a week to start. You are going to want to train with as heavy of weight as you can for about 6-8 reps.

Old 04-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
(female)

fairycake HB User

I'm also trying to gain weight right now and I can tell you that it absolutely is possible. The idea that skinny girls can never be curvy is just not true. I've already gained about a stone (14lbs) by eating the right foods and increasing my calorie intake and I'm curvier than I've ever been. More importantly, I'm probably healthier than I've ever been as being underweight puts a strain on your heart the same way that being overweight does. I don't mean to worry you but you definately shouldn't give up trying to reach the right weight for your height. I'm almost there and you can definately do it too.

Nuts and seeds are very high in calories and healthy fats. On top of what I ate before I now snack on nuts mixed with dried fruit (such as raisins) and have two slices of wholegrain toast with a thick spreading of peanut butter. I eat seeded wholegrain rolls and I sprinkle some seeds (seasame and sunflower) on my porridge. I also have plenty of mayo (preferably organic) with salads or sandwiches which isn't exactly healthy but a little extra fat for someone who's underweight isn't going to do any harm.

Good luck.

Old 04-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jonistyle2 HB User

instead of starting to worry about calorie-counting and weight lifting and all that, i have a different suggestion. i think you should make an appointment with a nutritionist/registered dietician. He/she will be able to look at your current diet and find oppotunities for you to consume more calories overall (but the plus side is that you won't have to worry about counting the calories, which is basically just a pain in the butt). the nutritionist will also be able to provide you with some healthy "tools" for gaining weight and give you information on which foods are "better" to choose if you want to gain weight. i really think it'd be helpful and you'd probably only need like one or two visits to get a good grasp on some better food choices for weight gain. also, just try to consume "calorically-dense" foods that are healthy, like trail mix with lots of nuts, avocados, smoothies (chocolate milk if you'd like!), cook with olive oils, start putting cheese on EVERYTHING, etc. also, do they have Ensure or Boost in the UK? i've drank those (Boost tastes better) to gain weight (you drink it in addition to all your meals and snacks so it gets you some extra calories). good luck!

Old 04-05-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

I don't know if they sell ''Gainers Fuel'' in the U.K. but thats what i took way back in the day when i was sickly skinny and it helped along with lots of bananas and peanut butter for the food part........

Old 04-05-2006, 06:28 PM   #9
(female)

Bev92 HB User

So many people would love to eat take-out everyday and not gain weight. My sister who's 21, eats a lot of fatty foods like icecream every day, sometimes I wonder where all the food goes in her little body? She's only 88lbs, very petite and is trying to gain weight also. Have you tried those whey protein shakes? Stay on the healthy food side if possible and don't give up what you want. Keep trying and good luck!!

Old 08-31-2006, 09:02 PM   #10
(female)

care81003 HB User

hi i lost alot of weight i was 87ibs now 93 ibs. i just eat every2 hours and just keep eating i also wanted to tell u u are not alone they are saying i have an eating disorder and i don't i love food to much i hope everything works out for u and me too

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-01-2006 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Please spell out words so that people can read and understand what you are saying.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristymarie87
I get full up easily and i cannot burp but soon after im hungry again.
Getting full easily and feeling like you have to burp but can't are often symptoms of acid reflux disease. Have you told your doctor about this?

Other common symptoms are a "lump in the throat" feeling and a frequent bad taste in your mouth. Do you have anything like that?

If it is acid reflux, there are lots of medications available, both prescription and over the counter, and lots of diet changes that can help.

Last edited by Crossbow; 09-01-2006 at 03:26 PM.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:12 PM   #12
(female)

mellimoo91 HB User

For starters you are definately not alone!!! In this obesity epidemic we are having, it is easy to think that you are the only one trying to gain, as we are constantly being told to lose lose lose!!! So it can get really frustrating but I also have this problem. I have a medical condition which prevents me from gaining weight and absorbing fats and nutrients and whilst some might think I'm really lucky, that's not true, as it is just as a hard to gain weight as it is to lose. I would definately reccomend shakes like ensure, boost, scandishakes etc. You can also make calorie dense milk and milkshakes by adding full cream milk powder (or skim but full works better) to full cream milk (once again skim is okay but full works best). It tastes basically the same as ordinary milk though it has a lot more calories. Eat lots of nuts, and add dressings to salad, butter to vegies and cheese on pasta and things like that. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #13
(female)

Jonistyle4 HB User

mellimoo91,

just out of curiousity, what is the medical condition that you have that makes it tough for you to gain? I'm just wondering cuz i'm also trying to gain weight and having a VERY difficult time despite a high-calorie diet, etc. it's to the point where it just doesn't seem "right," so i wonder if maybe something's off-kilter in my body, you know?

anyway, just curious, thanks!

Old 09-07-2006, 04:25 AM   #14
(female)

mellimoo91 HB User

Jonistyle - I have cystic fibrosis, a genetic disorder that is caused by a gene mutation resulting in an imbalance of salt and water in the body. This is characteristised by thick sticky mucus which, among other things, obstructs the flow of digestive enzymes from the pancreas to the stomach/intestines, making it impossible to absorb and digest food without the aid of supplemental enzymes taken with each meal. Even so it is still very difficult for a person with CF to gain weight despite the supplemental enzymes, and many require a gastrostomy tube surgically placed to obtain extra calories. Also disorders such as coeliacs disease and diabetes can cause weight loss. I would recommend seeing your doctor perhaps especially if you've had other smptoms such as frequent stomach aches, dihhrea, increased thirst etc. Hope I was of some help, and hope you can beef up soon LOL!!

Closed Thread