It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 05:59 AM   #1
(male)

Nigel HB User
Working hard at my diet and exercise and getting no where

Hi everyone,

just wondering if anyone can help me,

I'm Working hard at my diet and exercising and getting nowhere,

I'm a 43 yo man 5.11 tall and now weighting 266 lb's, when i was 21 I did lose 80 lb's and felt born again cos I have always been fat since a baby but for the first time in my life I was nice and slim but got married and few years later it all seem to pile back on again, so I know how to diet.

but this time I lost a few pounds to to start with and now basiclly it just seems to have stopped, I've been on it now for 7 weeks, I'm down the gym 4 times a week and working out hard on the treadmill, bike, rower etc for between 60 to 80 minutes a day, plus cut out all junk food and cut down on my intake and I don't drink anyway either, but I just can't seem to lose it this time, I'm now begining to lose heart to which I can't afford to do as I have load of health problems due to my weight and I have young children and a lovely wife to whom I want to be around for

Can anyone help???

Kind Regards to all Nigel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 06:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Working hard at my diet and exercise and getting no where

Nigel,

The SECOND time is always harder because the body learned a few ttricks the fiirst time 'round. Pity the poor dieter on the TENTH round.
Also a 43 year old doesn't have the metabolism of a 21 year old but alas still has the 21 year old appetite.., or an even bigger one.

This will take time (think YEARS) and you must be ready to see spells where things seem to come to a standstill. THat's when you must keep pushing.

How much have you lost these 7 weeks? Are you tracking your calories to make sure you "cut down your intake?" We can still eat too much "healthy food" when we give up junk.

Keep up thhe work! It WILL pay off.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
(male)

Nigel HB User

Ive lost about 7lb so far only about another 60 to go ...LOL

if anyway has any tips on getting my metabolism kick started it would be much apperciated

Regards Nigel

Old 03-13-2006, 10:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Nigel, you are definitely thinking along the right lines. Developing an effcient metabolism is truely the key to maintaining, and getting a lean physique. YOu need to develop a program that revolves around high-tensity training. That means high-intensity cardio and you need to impliment a good weight lifting routine into your cardio routine. Spread your meals out to at least six a day. Drink lots of cold water, take in plenty of dairy calcium, and lots of veggies. The more protein the better.

Truely there is no secret to losing weight. If you are burning more calories then you are taking in you will lose weight. Bottom line. Doesn't matter what you have done in the past. Doesn't matter how many times you have gone on a diet. Intense, smart, and consistant is what will get you there.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:54 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User

Also be aware that if you're doing exercise you will start building muscle as well as losing fat, and given that muscle is more dense than fat it will, to some extent, counteract the weight loss of fat reduction. Once you get past this though you will see results - as someone else has said, monitor your calorie intake and providing you burn off more than you eat, you WILL lose weight sooner or later.

Old 03-15-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

I know the frustration of this whole affair, I am wondeirng if some of the weight is muscle gained from exercise. also I don't know how much you are eating either, you can't go to low in caloies because it is dangerious and sets you up for failure, also you have to think can I eat 1800 caloires like this for the rest of my life? and yes everyone who has ever had a weight problem knows how to diet. dieting is insane the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

we have been programmed to diet by society that has no inclination of the cause of overweight, if they did then we should all be slimmer than we are considering how many people are dieting each year, (Usually repeaters).

and when dieting fails the dieting industry doesn't get blamed the dieter does. so I recommend what others have recommended who got off the dieting merry go round. if you can do it without suffering is only lower your fat to around 20 percent or 25 percent do not restrict quality caloires eat as much as you have a inclination to eat, leaner cuts of meat (fat is where portion control is important not overall caloires) low fat dairy, check labels to make sure the percentage of fat is kept down.

meat by the way is always high in fat, even leaner cuts can be 60 percent fat of the caloires. I have tried to do it susans' powters way but I find my body rebels at going to low in fat so I am trying for 25 percent, (was trying for 15 percent) and of course only quality caloires (not cake or cookies or pizza just because of lower fat) but keeping quality high too because my body is so sensitive to food quality as well as quantity (can't go to low or it rebels) that I cannot afford to eat even low fat cakes because of lack of enough nutrients.

but your body is probably less sensitive then mine most men tend to be less famine sensitive than woman since woman tend to diet more severly and have the role of child bearing. famine sensitive is just the minimum amounts of food you have to eat before triggoring your body's thrifty gene to store fat, slow metbolism burn up muscles etc. quality famines are just as bad for someone like me, as quanitity.

I have been doing the lower fat for a while and I noticed that my appetite is dropping, at first I thought it was from being so sick and running a fever for a week, so I discounted it, but now I am better and my appetite is about the same, and as of last weighing, (I don't weigh, I recommend you don't either except at the doctors) lost five pounds, but like I said not sure if from being sick I didn't have much of an appetite then, or if it because of the way I have been eating before I got sick. not sure.

of course others who have lowered their fat without lowering caloires have lost weight, even tho most were only10-20 pounds over what weight they wanted to be. frankly I couldn't see where they needed to lose, but that is how they did it.

I am not showing strong signs of cycling, (the faminefeast cycle) symptoms which include intense cravings for fat producing foods, like junk food pizza and higher fat real foods like peanut butter in large amounts, lack of desire to exercise, guilt about eating food thought obsessions. where you can't seem to get food thoughts out of your head for long periods. you get distracted easily by the food thoughts. but it is still a battle, not with hunger, but with figuring out what it is my body wants to optimize my diet so it can realize fat is no longer necessary and gets rid of it via appetite and metabolism adjustments.

of course what I just wrote is foreign to most people because you can't get this information from main stream media since the dieting industry makes no money off of people who get off the famine feast (diet/binge) cycle naturally without their help.

RR

Closed Thread