It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Splenda

Hi there,
I think I've asked this question before, but what are your thoughts on splenda (or fake-sugars in general, for that matter)? I stopped using Equal and Saccharin (nutrasweet) b/c I started feeling "weird" when eating them and I also had been hearing a lot of bad press about them. Splenda seemed to be the SAFE alternative, but now I'm not so sure about that either.

Recently, when I drink my latte that I've added splenda to in the morning, I notice my mouth getting a little bit numb. That can't be normal. I've just started thinking about it the past few days and I've realized that it is still a fake sugar and it is unnatural, so it has to be too good to be true - it's not as perfect as it seems. I think it's just a matter of time before they find that out.

Do you think it's worth it to try giving up fake sugar altogether (I use it in my coffee, tea, sometimes on cottage cheese, diet sodas, etc) or do you think that it is probably fine to eat everyday. I know there are many different opinions about this, but I'm just curious what everyone thinks. Thanks!!

Old 03-19-2006, 04:52 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
Re: Splenda

i googled "splenda" because i wasn't sure what it was and the second hit i got was a web page saying how bad it is for you. doesn't sound that great really.
how about using a natural sweetner like ructose. its twice as sweet as sucrose you wouldn't have to eat as much to get the same effect, has a much lower GI (about 20) than sucrose so it won't cause the same blood sugar fluctuations.
try gradually reducing the amount of any sugar you use. i used to eat loads of sugar when i was a teenager but now eat hardly anything. i don't miss it because i gradually got used to not having it. just had a bit less each time but gradually i needed less to get the same effect in tea or whatever. your taste buds will adjust. its all a matter of acquired taste with sweetness and other types of taste wsensations like saltiness too.

alex.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2006, 04:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I don't think it's worth giving up on sugar substitutes unless I could give up on sugar...which I can't.

So thank god for cyclamate, aspartame and sucralose (I can't stand the taste of saccharine without them I'd be fatter with a worse glucose tolerance..

Anyone who wants to believe in the internet urban legends about the horrors of all sugar substitutes is free to torture himself with doubt...and real sugar in everything.

Old 03-19-2006, 05:37 AM   #4
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

I largely agree with Lenin.

There has not been any Conclusive Evidence to show that Any of these products is bad.

Could there be people that are Alergic and have bad reactions? I am sure there are....but that doesnt mean that the products are bad. You dont have all kinds of people saying that peanuts are bad for you...but there is a lot of concrete evidence linking peanuts to Deaths.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 03-19-2006, 06:16 AM   #5
(female)

gothope HB User

Hello
I think a study just came out that Aspartame is not good (can't remember why); but so far, no problem with Splenda has been found. We use it all the time.
What about Stevia? It is a natural sweetner.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothope
Hello
I think a study just came out that Aspartame is not good (can't remember why); but so far, no problem with Splenda has been found. We use it all the time.
What about Stevia? It is a natural sweetner.

Gothope, you are right, there was a study recently out that aspartame caused cancer in mice. As a matter of fact, one of the researchers was on CNN and the Today Show saying even diabetic needed to be careful of aspartame.

He said the veredict was still out on the Splenda. I've read articles on stevia and it is made from a plant from Brzil. I think you can buy it only in a health food store. As a diabetic, I will stick to splenda for now.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #7
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Take the Study with a grain of Salt. Many in the Science community Have Highly criticized the study as they did not follow Accepted Guidlines that are supposed to be used.

Also....so this study says something bad....how about all the ones that say its fine?

With all the Products that Contain Aspartame Many people are eating it with out even realizing it. If it were truly as bad as some people would like you to think then we would have a Major world wide epedemic going on right now. There Is not One Major Health organization in the world that believes aspartame is anything but safe.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:49 AM   #8
(female)

gothope HB User

Hi Bluejbirdie
I was like you until the most recent study came out on Aspartame. Even Dr Rosenfeld who is mainstream said he would not let his family use it. I use Splenda even though my sister insists it is dangerous!

Regardless, I am getting wary of all these studies. They seem to contradict each other.
Cheers!

Old 03-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothope
Hi Bluejbirdie
I was like you until the most recent study came out on Aspartame. Even Dr Rosenfeld who is mainstream said he would not let his family use it. I use Splenda even though my sister insists it is dangerous!

Regardless, I am getting wary of all these studies. They seem to contradict each other.
Cheers!
It definately right to be wary of any study as the study can be done in a way to get the results that they want. You also have to wonder about all the studies that have been done that never get published because the results are not what they wanted.

But you have to look realistically......Billions of people eat aspartame every day...most dont even realize it. Yet no one has shown that it is truly a bad thing. There is a small Group of people With Loud Voices that try to say it is the worst thing in the world. They try and show case studies where specific people are affected. Yet the can prove that it was Aspartame that causedd the problem. At the same time...even if it was aspartame that caused the problem, the amount of people shown to have these "Problems" is miniscule compared to the number of people consuming Aspartame.

IF someone wants to be on the safe side and just not bother having it...then thats great...more power to them. But for most people the benefits greatly out weigh the risks.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
(female)

gothope HB User

Bluejbirdie
I'm glad you said that because I do NOT like to make decisions based on emotion. What you say is logical (ie Billions of people eat aspartame every day). It is good to remember this as we make decisions.
Yep, I prefer Splenda.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:28 PM   #11
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

actually I prefer Splenda Too! I think it tastes much better.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:12 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

For taste, I think the order is:
1. SugarTwin/cyclamate (most like sugar, but not available in the U.S.A. I order from Canada where the brand name is Sugar Twin)
2. Nutrasweet/aspartame
3. Splenda/sucralose (a slightly weird aftertase.)
4. Sweet and Low/saccharine...inedible.

Acesulfame is not available in packets yet...I LIKE PepsiONE though!
Neotame, approved by the FDA but still not available.
The last two are not available for adding to coffee or tea, so no taste opinions yet from me.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-20-2006 at 05:14 AM.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:24 AM   #13
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
For taste, I think the order is:
1. SugarTwin/cyclamate (most like sugar, but not available in the U.S.A. I order from Canada where the brand name is Sugar Twin)
2. Nutrasweet/aspartame
3. Splenda/sucralose (a slightly weird aftertase.)
4. Sweet and Low/saccharine...inedible.

Acesulfame is not available in packets yet...I LIKE PepsiONE though!
Neotame, approved by the FDA but still not available.
The last two are not available for adding to coffee or tea, so no taste opinions yet from me.

you really like sugartwin the best? Ugh. I Hate it!

Old 03-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

bluejbirdie,
Where do you buy your Sugar Twin? In the Unites States, it's aspartame by another name. But in Canada it's sodium cyclamate.

These sweetners are VERY individualized to different taste buds. One man's "sweet" is another's "bitter."

Last edited by Lenin; 03-20-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:26 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

There have been several different substances that have been shown to be 'safe' in company funded studies, yet was proved otherwise later on. But you can get just about any substance passed by the FDA, if you have a good amount of money.

Closed Thread