It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
How bad is it to eat bacon?

I have been having a BLT every day. I put two strips of bacon on it. I am totally addicted to them they are so good. I am just wondering how bad bacon is for you.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:40 AM   #2
(female)

stephanieadams HB User
Re: How bad is it to eat bacon?

It's not great that's for sure! If you really like bacon (BLTs) why don't you try the all natural bacon strips with no nitrites or nitrates. Make sure that the bread you use is whole grain (meaning that the first ingredient listed is 100% whole grains/wheat) and use canola mayonnaise or light mayo. If you use all of those things and add a nice slice of tomato and maybe a piece of romaine lettuce....you have yourself a nice healthy sandwich.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2006, 06:26 AM   #3
Veteran

bluejbirdie HB User

If your just having 2 strips a day I would not be too concerned. By no means is bacon good for you....but 2 strips a day is not going to have any real negative impact.

We are OverFat...Not OverWeight!

Old 03-23-2006, 06:45 AM   #4
(female)

stephanieadams HB User

bacon is basically a strip of pork fat treated with chemicals and nitrates. not only are the chemicals, nitrates and fat bad for you, but the growth hormones that they inject live stock with these days is disgusting!! Eating it every day - even just 2 strips is a bad idea. Why do you think that they advise pregnant women to stay away from deli-meats? They are bad bad bad bad!

Old 03-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

mmmmmmm...I love that pork fat and the nitrates....lol. Have you ever eaten the bacon without all of the fat and nitrates. Is it any good? Does it get crispy when you make it? I have been using whole grain bread, lots of tomato and two large pieces of leaf lettuce which is dark green. I use regular mayo though. I didn't know they had canola mayo I'll have to look for that. I have seen low fat though and that tastes gross.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieadams
bacon is basically a strip of pork fat treated with chemicals and nitrates. not only are the chemicals, nitrates and fat bad for you, but the growth hormones that they inject live stock with these days is disgusting!! Eating it every day - even just 2 strips is a bad idea. Why do you think that they advise pregnant women to stay away from deli-meats? They are bad bad bad bad!
bacon doesn't have to be all that. buying organic back bacon and trimming the fat off (bacon isn't just fat) provides you with quite a lean source of protein that is a good source of B-vitamins, zinc and iron. organic meat won't be full of the the growth hormones that conventially produced meat contains, and contains much lower levels of nitrates also. non-smoked meats are much lower in salt than smoked. but if you have a health issue where you need to keep your sodium intake to a minimum (eg. high blood pressure) then avoid excessive bacon intake. otherwise, organic bacon in moderate amounts, i.e, two smalls pieces a day, in my opinion is fine. just make sure you're picky over the quality of the meat you buy. be wise, be healthy, be happy (aka alex) .

alex the smallex

Last edited by ratboy83; 03-24-2006 at 02:47 PM.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think of bacon in a sandwich as pretty much a layer of lard, though much more delicious.
I don't eat it anymore...not since I got my stent!

Old 03-27-2006, 09:58 AM   #8
(female)

Jogaholic HB User

try turkey bacon instead

Old 03-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I think of bacon in a sandwich as pretty much a layer of lard, though much more delicious.
I don't eat it anymore...not since I got my stent!
i just don't get why everyone is saying bacon is justr fat! it has fat round the outside, but you can cut that off! you're then left with LEAN meat!

alex.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Wouldn't if you trimmed all of the fat you would be left with just a toothpick size piece of meat. Just kidding. Don't be upset just being funny. I think it does have lots of fat in it though. It looks like tons of it is white fat and there is some pink meat but not much. But maybe lots of the fat melts away when you make it because there is so much fat in the pan when I am done and the bacon doesn't seem super greasy.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:00 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogaholic
try turkey bacon instead
Yup turkey bacon is by the far the best. Way less fat content and I actually preferr the taste better then regular bacon. Organic is best if you can find it.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Does turkey bacon get crunchy when you make it like regular bacon does? Where can I get it? I looked for something leaner the last time I was at the grocery store and all I could find was low sodium.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:53 PM   #13
(female)

KimC2005 HB User

Turkey bacon does get crunchy like regular bacon. It is practically the same thing minus all the fat. It does taste a lot better. I can't stand eating regular bacon now. Sometimes turkey bacon is tricky to find at the grocery store but I am pretty sure most grocery stores carry it. Ask one of the employees at the store where it is.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:58 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I just saw a commercial for the news and they showed bacon and said "healthier bacon, lets see what researchers are doing to make this breakfast item healthier"....lol. I can't believe they happen to have it on the news tonight when I was just asking about it.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:00 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy83
i just don't get why everyone is saying bacon is justr fat! it has fat round the outside, but you can cut that off! you're then left with LEAN meat!

alex.
Alex,
I checked the USDA nutrition site. A 100 gram serving of cured bacon is 458 calories. In the 100 grams is 45.04 grams of fat representing 405 calories or 89% of the calories of the bacon.
If you view bacon as all fat, you are not going far wrong.
I'm not sure where you're buying your bacon but the stuff I see is not fat around the outside that can be trimmed...it's all fat with a few streaks of dyed pink lean meat running though. The nitrates make it pink otherwise it would be gray!

To me, 89% of calories from fat is close enough to ALL FAT! The only thing lean in it is the 40 grams of water!

Perhaps you are thinking about Canadian bacon? or a pork chop? THey are a different story.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-27-2006 at 05:02 PM.

Closed Thread