It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
I am a complete mess!

Help. I am 5'7 and now weigh 168 lbs. That is 10 lbs. more than I weighed in October.

I don't know where to start. I don't eat what seems like a lot of food but the scale just keeps going up.

I lift weights and walk 3 miles a day, six days a week.

I have tried that Atkins diet and lost a little weight but I put it back on and more. I don't like all the fat in this diet either.

I feel out of control and I don't know where to start. I hope that someone can help here.

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: I am a complete mess!

What is your menu for a typical day?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
(female)

southjerseymom HB User

This may be difficult, but you really have to try a whole foods diet, meaning stay away from processed foods full of chemicals, refined carbs aka the white stuff and bad fats. Try keeping a journal of your exercise and what you eat. I'm reading a book by Dr. Mark Hyman, "Ultrametabolism". He says you have to think of the Food Pyramid upside down to get an idea of what you should mainly be eating. Foods with healthy fats including nuts, lots of veggies, some fruit, lean cuts of meat, whole grains and sugars sparingly. What is a typical day like for you and how old are you?

Old 03-30-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

Also, remember that muscle weighs more than fat , and it sounds like you're into muscle-producing exercing, as you weight lift.

~Colleen

Old 03-31-2006, 12:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi Twanger

Try doing exercises leaning more towards cardiovascular type, ones that really get the heart rate going and the calories burning. If you not exercising correctly your heart rate will not increase to the correct BPM it should be, and you will not be getting any benefit out of it.

Try jogging or areobic type exercise.

Good luck

Old 03-31-2006, 05:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Twanger,

Make sure you QUANTIFY what you eat. It is far better to deal with precision like "I at 1640 calories yeasterday" rather than "I don't eat what SEEMS a lot of food."

Count every calorie and as long as they total less than a certain number every day, the weight MUST come off...it's thermodynamics.
And it's not that hard to do.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-31-2006 at 05:45 AM.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Thanks guys. I am 60 years old and I guess that my metabolism has slowed down a bit.

I don't want to take up jogging now because my knees are not the best but I can walk for 4 miles/day.

My eating is:

Breakfast; two oranges and an English Muffin with some spray butter.

Crackers and cheese for lunch

Pudding snack for snack

Dinner: salad and whatever entree we have. My husband is on a low fat diet do it is usually in that range of food.

A couple of pieces of chocolate may be thrown in during the day depending on my stress level.

I will try to determine the amount of calories that I consume.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:05 AM   #8
(female)

southjerseymom HB User

You need to incorporate more veggies and perhaps some nuts into your diet. Also cut down on the breads, unless it is whole grain and does not contain high fructose/corn syrup . Snacks are important throughout the day to keep the blood sugar stable. Here's a sample from my typical day:

Breakfast: bowl of ***** cereal with sliced strawberries, water, coffee with 1/2 n 1/2 (can't give that up!)

AM Snack: 1 piece of celery and about 6 baby carrots with a little natural peanut butter

Lunch: mixed greens salad loaded with fresh veggies(grape tomatoes, broccoli, red and orange peppers, cauliflower) with ff dressing or olive oil and balsamic vinegar) Sometimes I throw in some shredded chicken, almonds, walnuts, turkey, or feta for protein Seltzer to drink

Afternoon snack: ff yogurt or piece of fruit

Dinner: roasted turkey, sweet potato, steamed green beans, glass of wine

Try not to eat 2-3 hours before going to bed. And yes, you can have chocolate, just not a WHOLE box. The dark kind is actually good for you, in moderation!

Exercise is very important. Walking is great. I am going to be 38 and I already can see how my metabolism and body are changing. There are some great books out there. I think it's important to try to stay away from processed foods, only having them sparingly. Stay active, drink lots of water, and don't eat too close to bedtime. Also, too low-fat of a diet is NOT good for you. You WILL gain weight. Your body needs healthy fats to function properly.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Thank you for your time. I will try what you suggest and let you know how it goes. I agree with the low fat diet. I seem to gain weight on it all the other times I have tried.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-01-2006, 05:32 AM   #10
(female)

southjerseymom HB User

Twanger, I want to recommend another good book. It's called"Outsmarting the Midlife Fat Cell", by Debra Waterhouse, MPH. RD.. It is an informative and enlightening book that offers practical and sound advice for women over 35 on proper nutrition and weight control and WHY it's so difficult to hang on to our youthful figures. This book will teach you how to eat well and exercise to maximize your health and fitness. There are no shortcuts, unfortunately, but if you do your homework you CAN learn how to tailor a plan that is realistic and will work for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-01-2006, 06:38 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Thanks, I will look for this book. Maybe this is what I am looking for and need. I will keep you posted.

Closed Thread