It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2006, 11:33 PM   #1
(male)

smithxi HB User
Fasting?

can we recommend fasting on this forum to people? i remember reading something about not recommending diet to anyone?

Old 04-08-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Re: Fasting?

Fasting only damages the metabolism. Never works.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

There is one pretty interesting study I know of that says otherwise.

Old 04-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

The key word is "ONE"

I have read many books that say occassional fasting can be good for digestion problems...but for weight loss, repeated fasting only damages the metab.
beause we all know that the longer you go between eating, the slower your metabolism gets.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
(female)

mandabear HB User

I agree that you shouldn't fast for weight loss, however, I don't think fasting is a bad thing. It's one thing if you are doing it because of fear of food, wanting to be thinner, etc. But its completely another to do it in order to rest the body and cure it from certain diseases, etc. There have been many studies that prove it's helpfulness. For example, people who fast once or twice a week tend to be very healthy (unless they have an Eating disorder).
I know there are many good sites under "fasting" when you search google. But make sure you do it healthfully and not simply for weight loss, because it won't work.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie00
The key word is "ONE"

I have read many books that say occassional fasting can be good for digestion problems...but for weight loss, repeated fasting only damages the metab.
beause we all know that the longer you go between eating, the slower your metabolism gets.
Oh yeah, I was definitely not talking about fasting for weight loss. I am talking about its effects on certain medical conditions. It is actually a key part in certain cancer treatments.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

I'd never recommend a Fast for longer than 5 to 6 days without being in a DR'S care but a theraputic Fast can help heal many tough diseases that do not respond to traditional or alternative medicine. Its good for type-2 Diabetes and Blood Sugar disorders and also for Multiple Sclerosis . I personally yrs ago used it on myself to help kickstart the healing process when i was stricken down with a disease but you really have to have the right mind set to start one.....

Old 04-09-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6foot3
I'd never recommend a Fast for longer than 5 to 6 days without being in a DR'S care but a theraputic Fast can help heal many tough diseases that do not respond to traditional or alternative medicine. Its good for type-2 Diabetes and Blood Sugar disorders and also for Multiple Sclerosis . I personally yrs ago used it on myself to help kickstart the healing process when i was stricken down with a disease but you really have to have the right mind set to start one.....
How would a fast be good with someone with diabetes? Wouldn't that be dangerous???

Old 04-09-2006, 05:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
How would a fast be good with someone with diabetes? Wouldn't that be dangerous???
Yes for type-1 diabetes it would be dangerous but for type-2 diabetes it will help the healing process.Type-2 diabetes is caused by a life of eating too many calories and/or carbohydrates. This wares out the Beta cells in the Pancreas to produce Insulin and also down regulates the Insulin receptors that line all trillion plus cells in our body. When on a fast these are allowed to regenerate quicker and hence the healing process. This also allows DNA repair mechanisms (enzymes) to go about and repair/restore the damage by Type-2.(neuropathy). It should be noted that fasting does not cure but only helps in assisting the healing process.......

Old 04-09-2006, 07:03 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Hmmm....very interesting. Are you talking about a complete fast (water only) or modified fast (like juice and fruit).

I tried a water only fast years ago...and only made it to 7 p.m.!!

Old 04-10-2006, 03:33 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

The problem with fasting is that your blood sugars can lower drastically and a person can experience side effects like, dizziness, light headedness and possible fainting attacks. Also a person may suffer from extreme forms of weakness.

Another problem with fasting is that due to the body going for so long without food when you do eat again the body kicks into starvation mode, and any food intake is stored as fat and not broken down properly by the metabolism.

Also the kidneys can suffer. Food and fluids help the kidneys to function properly and the kidneys help to expel toxins from our body, but the kidneys can only function properly with the right diet.

Fasting is often recommended for many blood tests, ultrasounds, x rays (barium meals) but fasting for a few hours will not do much damage, but it is only recommened for medical purposes.

The longest i have to fast, including water is for 8 days, this was when i was in hospital and on IV fluids with glucose. I had to do this so my small bowel could rest and calm down. It wasnt nice and afterwards i did struggle to keep food down. This was because my stomach had to be slowly reintroduced to food again, so i had to start on water then soups followed by ice cream etc.

Personally i wouldnt recommend fasting to anybody unless it was for medical purposes, like tests to help diagnose illnesses.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:36 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Quote:
Hmmm....very interesting. Are you talking about a complete fast (water only) or modified fast (like juice and fruit).

I tried a water only fast years ago...and only made it to 7 p.m.!!
It depends on the individual and disease they are battling...Again only under a DR. supervision and only for healing purposes NOT for loosing weight/fat...Some Juice fast to detoxify and some fast on Green drinks. When i fasted i used Teas to help as it is physically and mentally painful to go without food so sipping on hot Teas thru out the day helped bigtime...Also in a healing fast the body will start to consume itself so your dead , diseased and /or scar tissues thru out the body will be eleminated. Yrs ago i had Neuropathy in my feet and diet and exercise slowly made a dent but after 5 days fasting my sensations were back to normal which then my diet and exercise kicked in to high gear and now im doing fine.Thats my take and story on healing fasting......

Old 04-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #13
(female)

*DottieGirl* HB User

I used to fast for one day a month. Don't know what that ever did to improve my digestive system, I should go back to doing that again.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:13 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

There is also the very REAL element that fasting can be beneficial to the psyche. There can be something transcendental that happens once the body is allowed to stop wasting all it's time and energy on food processing.

I've tried it a couple times but alas cannot get past the headache stage (probably caffeine withdrawal.)

It is NOT (most emphatic) a good way to diet because the rebound weight due to a lowered metabolic set-point can be horrible.

But there would be something nice to walk in the footsteps of Ghandi, Jesus, and Francis of Assissi. Also occasionally doing without some things we think we need can be good training...it might open some new windows.

I might try for a week once again (oh, my head!)

My idea of a fast is WATER, nothing else.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:12 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Lenin, you are actually going to try to do a water fast for A WEEK???

You are stronger willed then I am!! I couldn't even make it one full day. I got that terrible headache you were talking about, and my energy was very low. I don't drink caffeine either so I know my headache wasn't caused by withdrawls. I have had problems with IBS for years and have tried to fast several times because I heard it could be beneficial for your digestive tract...but I could never do it.

If a fast was something I was doing for like...religious reasons...or to make a statement...as the people you mentioned....then it would probably be easier, but I always end up saying "why am I doing this to myself? I could be eating a pizza right now!" and I .... EAT

Closed Thread